Reversing camera

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
If you need any advice or pics, let me know..

G'day Guys, After a couple questions, I thought I'd throw up a quick guide to how I put my Polaris Dual camera system in. I screwed around for ages trying not to run it internally so here is the result.

1. Feed 10M camera cable extension through a rubber grommet, thence down through the A-Frame. Mounted the bracket with a couple of tex screws.
Mount.jpg

2. From the A-Frame, I ran the cable (inside some flexible conduit for protection) down the left hand side of the Chasis, zip tied in place
Cable Route.jpg

3. At back left of the Van, I made a small notch, similar to that used for the lighting on the other side for the cable to gain entry into the cavity with the rear left indicator. Sikaflex used to seal the gap and hold cable in place (at the end)
Notched Cutout.jpg

4. Having removed the rear left indicator, the cable was pulled through.
Rear View.jpg

5. After much issues of trying to thread the cable up the top of the back, then across to the middle, I ended up creating a small access hole internal at the top left corner. The cable was then threaded from the Left rear indicator corner, up to the Back Top left corner of the Van using some stiff wire.
Cable feeding hole.jpg

6. The Camera Bracket and Cable entry holes were Marked out. Holes for the cable entry cut via a small drill initially, thence via a stepped drill. The cable was threaded from the left to the centre again using some stiff wire and electrical tape to hold in place.
Cable Entry.jpg

7. Camera Mount Stuck to rear using Sikaflex, then small pilot holes drilled prior to screwing in place. (excuse the dust from up past Broken Hill :)
Camera & Sikaflex.jpg

8. Gromets fitted over camera cables and connected to the 10 M extension and installed. There should be plenty of cable for extended A-frames from memory.

Lots of fun in all.. I especially love the Dual camera setup, one for driving along the road and seeing what is behind, and the other for reversing which shows the entire back of the Caravan.

If anyone would like some more info or pics, please let me know..

Cheers, Glenn

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Me too. Finance Dept. Manager also impressed with your handiwork, Shadow7, so might even have me an apprentice! Like you idea of wiring underfloor, it solved a few problems I had when thinking about how to run them.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Very nice shadow.
I put mine in a similar position and pretty much followed the same path under the van as you.
Except that I ran along the same line as the lights.

If you drill the hole first at the top of the van and thread the cable across the top you can access the cable through the back of driving lights in the top corners of the back of the van. From there you can thread the cable down the side cavity at the back of the van and access the cable by pulling out one of the indicator lights.
Thus removing the need to access the cables from inside the van.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Anyone used these?

https://www.swifthitch.com/how-it-works.html

Looks the goods if you don't want to permanently mount a camera I think they sell for about $250-$300.
Got one of these years ago from the US when they first came out. Well made and work OK, but low definition screen and poor visibility in low light/shadows limited use. I usually found myself trying to hitch with shadow of a Pathfinder obscuring towball - maybe chrome towball would stand out fine.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
They have released a new model the "SH02" I think. High def and night vision. Sounds like they may have listened to you. So with these two upgrades you reckon they are worth it? Guess being portable, weatherproof, magnetic and rechargeable I might find many uses around the house for it :biggrin:

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
As my Prado has a reversing camera already installed as standard I installed a switch so I could turn it on at anytime (mod from PradoPoint forum) which is handy to see the hitch while travelling. I want to put a camera on the back of the Expanda and install a switch so I can switch between the two cameras, has anyone done this or know how to do it??? I am looking for wiring colours etc for signal, 12V and neg. Also wondering if camera is NTSC or PAL or what signal so I can buy a good camera for the Expanda.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
They have released a new model the "SH02" I think. High def and night vision. Sounds like they may have listened to you. So with these two upgrades you reckon they are worth it? Guess being portable, weatherproof, magnetic and rechargeable I might find many uses around the house for it :biggrin:
Yes. Certainly worth a try. I probably had their very first model and sounds like good upgrades since. Assume still as well made with yellow metal housing and effective suction and magnetic attachment, protective cover for aerial, etc.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
As my Prado has a reversing camera already installed as standard I installed a switch so I could turn it on at anytime (mod from PradoPoint forum) which is handy to see the hitch while travelling. I want to put a camera on the back of the Expanda and install a switch so I can switch between the two cameras, has anyone done this or know how to do it??? I am looking for wiring colours etc for signal, 12V and neg. Also wondering if camera is NTSC or PAL or what signal so I can buy a good camera for the Expanda.

I purchased a reversing camera for the pathie. The unit replaces one of the lights that lights up the number plate.
I then replaced the car sterio with one of these.

http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-P4450BT/page.html

This allows for reversing camera input. I attached the camera for the car to this.

The camera on the back of the van runs through a monitor that slides over the rear vision mirror.
I did the set up this way because the reversing camera on the car can be used for times other than towing the van and because this camera is part of the car sterio setup, it is less obtrusive with an extra screen sitting constantly on your dash.

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Been a little on the slow side adding all the bits and bobs that have done to the Expanda over the last 12 or so months. Here are the pics of the reversing camera I do have more but I think most will get the gist of it.

Attachments

• Reversing Camera11ex.jpg
    Reversing Camera11ex.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 422
  • Reversing Camera 13ex.jpg
    Reversing Camera 13ex.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Reversing Camera 2ex.jpg
    Reversing Camera 2ex.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 434
  • Reversing Camera 6ex.jpg
    Reversing Camera 6ex.jpg