Reversing camera

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi all,

Been thinking of installing a reverse camera on the pack of the tug as well as one on the back of the expanda.

Has anyone done it? How about the wireless 2.4ghz systems, any interference issues?

Cheers
Mike

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
have heard that the wireless ones get interference and you wouldn't want you cameras image on all the tv's as you drive past shops would you :)

wireless easier but i prefer the hard wired ones.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
I put a Polaris dual Rear View Camera in.. 2x cameras, 1 for on the road, other or reversing. Very easy to fit neatly.

Running cables under Caravan is too easy..

If you need any advice or pics, let me know..

Feb 1, 2012
I have had one installed in the tug and have the extra camera to put onto the Explanda when it arrives. Mine is hard wired and when you engage reverse the image produces on the rear vision mirror, which is replaced. You can also engage the camera when driving to look out the rear, in addition it has a small mic in the camera and you can hear someone speaking from behind the car. Can't recall the brank at the moment but can find out if you need the information.

Prado 003.jpgPrado 004.jpg

wanderer20

Dec 20, 2011
South Australia
Hi Mike,
I fitted a camera after the firt couple of trips and would not be without it. Once you have one it is very hard to go back as it assists in many ways other than reversing. Can allways see what is traveling behind and when they are intending to pass.
I went for the hard wired after reading the not so good reviews on the wireless models.
Bought mine from Savety Dave in Melb and could not have been happier with the unit (5.8"" monitor). Fitted camera to van myself but ot auto elect to fit t car.
See links below for Safety Dave site and Safety Dave how to fit videos, just happens to be an expanda in the video
http://www.safetydave.com.au/howtoguides3.php
http://www.safetydave.com.au/cameras
Hope this helps

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have a Polarise one where the screen mounts on the sun visor. I love it.

It can take two cameras, though i haven't got one on the van yet.

reverse camera.JPG

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
G'day moto, can you gimme a link to your system please. I can't seem to google the visor clip on version. Looks like a great solution.

Cheers
Mike

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hi all,

Been thinking of installing a reverse camera on the pack of the tug as well as one on the back of the expanda.

Has anyone done it? How about the wireless 2.4ghz systems, any interference issues?

Cheers
Mike

G'day Mike, I bought a setup from Safety Dave, Very easy to install and works well. After sales service was unreal, sending me many parts needed free of charge.
The kit I bought came with minitor, camera for the car and one for the van. The van camera has an inbuilt microphone, so you can heara what is going on behind you.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/936-MolongMicks-17-56-2-HL-outback-Expanda/page8
Worth a look.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We have a safety Dave system as well. Fitted to the Expanda myself, have some photos somewhere. Be careful drilling the centre above the hardlid, Jayco run wires past there!!!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
G'day moto, can you gimme a link to your system please. I can't seem to google the visor clip on version. Looks like a great solution.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike missed your post there, sorry mate.

Its a Polaris CM-V2. I can't find it on their website at the moment but you will find a few suppliers in google. Its not the cheapest option, but i liked the larger screen that is hidden when not in use. About $400 fitted from memory.

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
I fitted a Polaris setup to my Cruiser, aiming the one on board at the towbar ball to make it easy to connect to the van. Then added the other camera to the 16.49OB. Running the cables inside the drawbar, under the van, and up through the fibreglass cavity, which was a bit of a dog of a job, but ended up tidy.

Recently installed an Alpine 910R before running around Sydney. There was a bit of a bonus as the Polaris cameras integrated into the Alpine, which meant I could remove the screen from up on the dash. Also had the advantage of the 7" screen for my poor old tired eyes.

Only downside is the Alpine has to load everything before showing the reversing screen, so is not as fast as the dedicated unit, and I haven't looked at how to switch the van camera to watching behind when not in reverse.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Thanks for all great the info everyone, just need to decide which one suits the best for my application. I have a navman gps with an AV in so was hoping to use it as the screen so need to work out which camera will work best with it.

Cheers
Mike

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
I bought a multimedia unit for our Prado, GPS-CD-DVD-MP3-IPOD-etc which came with a free camera. Instead of wiring it to the reverse light I chose to set up a hard wired switch to turn it on and off whenever I want to. The switch was just a supercheap/repco jobby with a led to let me know if i forget it on. That way if the camera is connected I can switch it on to see who is behind the van for lane changing, parking etc. Easy enough job and makes it useful for both the car and van as i juts plug in which ever camera is needed. Have the connectors in the back panel so can change whenever needed.

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Hi all
How did you run your cable for your rear camera, from the top of the van to the chassis? I've bought the same camera and was hoping to install it this weekend but having looked at the safety Dave install video, I'm not keen on running the cable inside the van. Do you or anyone else reading this, know if there is enough room to run a cable in the same place as the top rear running lights wires run down to the chassis, from the factory? Or is there a better way to run the cable inside the van?
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all
How did you run your cable for your rear camera, from the top of the van to the chassis? I've bought the same camera and was hoping to install it this weekend but having looked at the safety Dave install video, I'm not keen on running the cable inside the van. Do you or anyone else reading this, know if there is enough room to run a cable in the same place as the top rear running lights wires run down to the chassis, from the factory? Or is there a better way to run the cable inside the van?
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Iam not sure there is another choice. I did it neater than the safety Dave video and used 16x10 white conduit to send it down alongside the bed frame. I will see if I have any photos. The run from there down and along the chassis used 10m of cable with nothing to spare. Doing it again I would get 12m or 15m. Good luck.