18' Series Retrofitting options

James Jackson

May 7, 2013
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask whether anyone has experience in retrofitting options to an 18.57-9 in particular.

Always the toss up when you see a good second hand van is whether to add the extras or not.

Specifically I'd be interested in things like AL-KO ESC, gas bayonet the fitting, extra LED outside, extra downlight over sink, external shower no HWS, extra power points.

Would I take this list to a Jayco dealer? (not being a handy man myself!) and whilst I have a pricing list for inclusion in a new van (except extra lights and power points - any idea on how much these cost?) what should I expect for a retrofit if they can either do this at all?

Many Thanks all.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi James being as you mentioned you are not handy I'm assuming if you had to pay someone to do these add ons it would more than likely be a cheaper option to have them done while the Van is being built, especially the ones that require running cables pipes etc!

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
Any extras you put on your van are obviously going to cost money. If you do it through a Jayco dealer they are going to hire a tradey to do the work then put their wack on top. I'd say, buy all the genuine lights and other stuff you want, then pay an electrician directly. Expect anywhere from 70-100 buck an hour plus materials. As for the bayonet fitting, any gas fitter/plumber can do that for you. Expect a similar rate as electrician. An external shower is a bit useless if you don't have it plumbed to the HWS. I'd just buy a garden shower and fix it to a pole. Costs about $20. The extra light outside can be very useful. Beware that running cable inside walls and ceiling space can be very time consuming and sometimes cannot be done at all.
With all this said, without knowing any real budget, only you can decide what suits.

James Jackson

May 7, 2013
This is great Expandaman - all very logical and sounds like I should simply project manage any tweaks on a second hand van myself.
Many thanks for the advice!