17' Series redarc tow pro

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
With regards to the first point, I can recall reading the Redarc site that you can simply use a longer lead up to 5 metres. I am trying to find the exact location of this to link to.

BJ

Edit - found it, it is in the FAQ's of the user manual for it.

Can the remote head cable be extended?

Yes, the remote head cable is a standard RJ45 network cable and can be replaced by an off the shelf cable up to 5m in length.

Ok I will let the sparkies know about the longer network cable. Thanks @Bmhdg76

The redarc is adjustable, Skippy was just referring to the boost settings that the P3 has.
BJ.
Thanks for clarify that BJ

Ok well that's ok, happy to be adjustable, I haven't used the boost settings on the P3....
You don't really need the boost on the 16 expandas but once you go up past the 18 the boost function is really handy for pulling up a lot quicker when fully loaded @Holden_man
I find the boost great in traffic and once out on the open road it's really handy if you have to pull up quick for animals too.

Basically I was hoping that the Redarc unit would have the same boost option as the P3 but apparently it doesn't have this option which is fine if your towing a camper trailer or anything under a 16 footer.
Anything over 16 I would defiantly recommend the P3 but for anything under I am sure the the Tow Prow would be a great unit out of the way from the knees unlike the P3 at this stage, with a bit of luck they will update their unit with a remote head like the Tow Prow as well.

Reactions: Holden_man

halbster

May 13, 2014
Any more feedback on the Redarc Tow Pro? Need to get a controller installed in the next couple of weeks.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Me my self I not a fan off them fitted a few and had them back rang redarc direct spoke to them about them you have to calibrate them with your Van on cant bet the older model simple to use and a great unit

Reactions: skippy

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
We have the redarc Remote unit (not the tow pro) and love it. Had a cow run out and the brakes worked a treat. I have also fitted 4 other units to friends cars and they all like them. I had the the P3 in our first car but only my opinion the redarc is more responsive and a very neat and compact unit.
Here here for the redarc.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Me my self I not a fan off them fitted a few and had them back rang redarc direct spoke to them about them you have to calibrate them with your Van on cant bet the older model simple to use and a great unit
Brotys your post before this one was more positive - what has made you change your mind about the tow pro?

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Brotys your post before this one was more positive - what has made you change your mind about the tow pro?
After fitting a few more of these units and having them back and talking to redarc and them telling me you need to calibrate them no good to the people out there who aren't up with modern day elecs will end up getting stuck some were . The older unit so much easier to use

Reactions: skippy

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
2.5 Calibration @Bmhdg76

The 3-Axis accelerometer in the Tow-ProTM allows the unit to measure acceleration in any direction which means the unit can be installed in any orientation. In order for the unit to work properly, after install the unit must be calibrated to the normal direction of braking.

Once the unit is installed and the vehicle is switched ON, the LED on the remote head will flash 3/4 of a second BLUE and 1/4 of a second GREEN indicating that the unit is out of calibration. To calibrate the unit simply begin driving with your trailer attached. Once the vehicle is travelling over 10km/h and after about 2 seconds the unit will calibrate itself and the LED will turn a solid BLUE colour whilst driving indicating that calibration is complete. Calibration is best performed on a flat, smooth, quiet road.

Whilst the unit is out of calibration and the LED is flashing BLUE and GREEN, the unit will still apply the brake though brake application may be ‘rough’.

If the installation is modified, Redarc recommend that the unit be re-calibrated. The unit can be put into calibration mode manually by following these steps:

1. Turn the vehicle OFF

2. Set the knob to 0

3. Apply and hold the foot brake

4. Apply and hold the knob (manual override) for approx 10 seconds
Once this sequence is completed successfully, the unit will flash to indicate that it is out of calibration.

The rest here if anyone is interested>>

http://www.redarc.com.au/images/uploads/images/EBRH-ACC_Instruction_Manual.pdf

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
I have one of the Tow pros fitted to my new tug .... a Y62 patrol ... and have just come back from 3000km outback trip with my 17.56. I actually bought a brand new P3 to install but while having a bull bar fitted I was offered a great deal on supply + fit on Tow pro as the 4x4 shop had never fitted one. I have had a P2 for the last 5years.
The Tow pro is very easy to calibrate and use and can be manually overridden if desired. The beauty is the fitment options and angles. It simply does its job and stays out of the way. I am extremely pleased.
I have an unfitted / unused P3 in original packaging for $100 if someone on the list wants it.
cheers
John
IMG_1017.jpg

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have one of the Tow pros fitted to my new tug .... a Y62 patrol ... and have just come back from 3000km outback trip with my 17.56. I actually bought a brand new P3 to install but while having a bull bar fitted I was offered a great deal on supply + fit on Tow pro as the 4x4 shop had never fitted one. I have had a P2 for the last 5years.
The Tow pro is very easy to calibrate and use and can be manually overridden if desired. The beauty is the fitment options and angles. It simply does its job and stays out of the way. I am extremely pleased.
I have an unfitted / unused P3 in original packaging for $100 if someone on the list wants it.
cheers
John
IMG_1017.jpg
Good price, but I don't need 2!
Thanks for the review on the tow pro

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
cheers
John
IMG_1017.jpg
Thanks for the great info, your post has help made my mind up on the new tow pro,
Going to book the prado in next wk.and it looks so neat n tidy:) :)

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Any updates on using Redarc Tow Pro guys? I'm keen to install. I can't locate a P2 anywhere in my Prado without being in a dodgy spot so it's either this or other Redarc models.

The only negative I have come across is that it is ALKO has not approved it for use with their ESC units.

James Byrne

Apr 8, 2014
Hi All,
I had a Tow Pro installed from RedArc.
Same issue they send that it wasn't approved for use with ESC.
Rang REDARC and they confirmed that any unit manufactured with a serial number less than 1408 (YYMM) would need to be updated.
I sent mine across and they have updated it.
They mailed it back today so cannot wait to get it back to go on the next trip.
Great Customer Service is all i can say.

Definitely go the tow pro. Great customer service

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
Thanks @James Byrne . I had no idea about this and have just pulled my dash apart to check. Sure enough mine will need to go back to Redarc to be updated. Glad I found out from you as Jayco dealer said " any proportional controller will be fine" . This was with the understanding I had ESC fitted!!!

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Has anyone had this confirmed by ALKO? There website under FAQ section still says it's not approved?

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
not yet @Simon but I will make contact with Redarc and Alko tomorrow. To my "non auto electrical mind" I can't see how it can make much of a difference though. The ESC unit detects the sway and applies the van brakes. It does not (and I am happy to be corrected if i am wrong) send a signal back to the brake controller to apply the brakes to the van. The controller detects the brake input from the car where as the ESC is independent of the car braking system. I too checked the Alko website and saw it is "not approved". I have also read somewhere that it does not mean it won't work....