17' Series redarc tow pro

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
They can only suggest and all the ones they have as approved are owned by them so in told
And even then a pendulum unit is suggested as a solid state may not work as well still waiting to see test results of this as

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
not yet @Simon but I will make contact with Redarc and Alko tomorrow. To my "non auto electrical mind" I can't see how it can make much of a difference though. The ESC unit detects the sway and applies the van brakes. It does not (and I am happy to be corrected if i am wrong) send a signal back to the brake controller to apply the brakes to the van. The controller detects the brake input from the car where as the ESC is independent of the car braking system. I too checked the Alko website and saw it is "not approved". I have also read somewhere that it does not mean it won't work....
I agree, & I can confirm that with my supposed non approved brake controller (Old solid state Haymen Reese) the ESC worked perfectly & did its job....saved my arse.

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
I've just sent my Tow Pro to Red Arc to have it swapped with an ESC compatible unit. No need to remove everything just the head unit. Other than postage it will be done at no cost to me which I thought was pretty good service. Im not sure why they released such a new product without making sure it was compatible with ESC prior to release. I did not get anywhere with what the difference was between the "post 1408 version" and the earlier ones but just glad that it is now approved for use with ESC (by Redarc anyway)....

Greg Swain

Nov 20, 2013
gold coast
I want to fit a brake controller to the prado, was at the brissie van show,went and checked out the new redarc tow pro,the salesman said they are the pick of the controllers, has anyone got it fitted to there car and if so how do u think they go. there are so many out there on the market or is there any better ones. cheers:)
I fitted a tow pro and it works well . as i do off road work as well as highway the braking mode option is great

Reactions: Andrew Grundy

Greg Swain

Nov 20, 2013
gold coast
fitted tow pro the other day . heading south yesterday had to brake hard for kangaroo .

Really good even and proportioned braking , combined with AL KO anti sway feels really safe

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Just got off the phone with Jayco Sydney, AL KO and Redarc. I have been trying to find out about Redarc EBRH remote head controller and how it works with ESC and ALKO magnetic brakes (which are fitted to Jayco Outback Starcraft).

The main outcomes are:

1. The Redarc EBRH will work OK with ALKO ESC (confirmed by ALKO web site)
2. The EBRH will work with Jayco fitted ALKO magnetic Brakes, but not recommended by Jayco as there is a possibility of burning out the brakes if EBRH control knob is not properly adjusted to take into account speed changes. However, the EBRH will work fine with very light vans and trailers, because the brakes need less adjusting.
3. Sydney Jayco recommend proportional brake controllers, they have yet to catch up with the latest approved Redarc Tow Pro, it is not on the Sydney Jayco list.
4. Tow Pro built after August 2014 are OK with ALKO ESC (confirmed by ALKO web site) and as they are a proportional controller they will work OK with ALKO Magnetic brakes. (I was advised this by ALKO over the phone).

Therefore, for my new van I conclude I need to replace my Redarc remote head EBRH controller (purchased July 2013) which worked OK on my 1.2 t Avan with a proportional controller such Tekonsha (Primus or P3), Hayes or a Redarc Tow Pro (serial number 1408XXXXXXX).

The Redarc Tow Pro has to have been manufactured since August 2104. The advantage of the tow pro for me is that its wiring comparable with the EBRH so installation will be straight forward, it also won't bang my knee. As long as the first four digits of the serial number are 1408 or higher it is an ALKO ESC approved Tow Pro. My local Auto electrician is looking at Tow Pro prices for me and said he will buy my old controller as a second hand controller.

Hope this info does not confuse, I certainly have had a difficult time trying to find out if I should keep my old controller or replace it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I have spoken to my local auto electrician and he is going to do a trade in on my EBRH on a new Tow Pro. He will sell my old one as second hand and give me a discount on the the Tow Pro and go easy on any installation cost.
I have booked in next Tuesday to change it over.

Depending on time taken for install about $220 for change over, they will do it while I wait.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I did get the Tow Pro installed it cost me in the end closer to $400 (even with trade in of old controller). The Auto electrician explained this increase was due to the need to fit the Tow Pro on to solid metal surface (due to its accelerometer) and the wiring while similar to earlier controller, was not the same. I did not wait while it was installed as it was more complex than we both originally thought and took quite a bit longer. However, he gave me a good price on the labour. It appears to be well fitted.
My previous controller was just cable tied into position and the new Tow Pro had to be bolted to metal and was hence located in a different spot. Also the fitting of the switch (head) was a bit fiddly. It appears that the controller works fine on the test kit, have yet tow with it as new van not ready till mid December.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
MMM, wiring is no different to any other controller, 4 wires in total. There is the plug and play wire going from controller to body which is extra but is a 5second fit.
And controller only has to be mounted to a solid surface that wont move, don't have to be a solid metal surface.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Thanks for the information, I bow to your superior knowledge.
I guess I was overcharged? Thanks again I will be more careful in the future in taking auto electricians word for it
However, it is definitely mounted on a metal pice of body work just below the left of the steering wheel. I got under the dash and checked when I got home. I guess what it needs is a solid mounting point, as per the installation guide.

Andrew Grundy

Jan 11, 2015
I spoke to an Auto Electrician last week as I need to get a brake controller fitted before we get our van in August. I know nothing about this stuff as its our first van, never used a brake controller before, but understand this is the latest and greatest version. Anyway when I mentioned Tow pro to the Auto Elec he told me they were only for vans with ESC fitted (which ours does not have), and he would install a standard Red Arc remote head unit device. Is this correct? Should I just be getting the lastest version or is there no benefit without ESC.

Definitely not true. The Tow Pro is fully ESC compliant but it is not dependant. It will work with any 4wd, the guy was probably trying to sell old stock EBRH's to you. The cable is fully interchangeable with standard CAT5 cables up to 5 metres in length, longer than that you will get voltage drop but who needs more than 3 metres or so anyway? :)

One thing about Redarc products, they are made in Australia, by Australians for Australian conditions. I wouldn't buy a foreign-made version just because they may be a bit cheaper. Tow Pro is the benchmark model now.

Andrew Grundy

Jan 11, 2015
I've just sent my Tow Pro to Red Arc to have it swapped with an ESC compatible unit. No need to remove everything just the head unit. Other than postage it will be done at no cost to me which I thought was pretty good service. Im not sure why they released such a new product without making sure it was compatible with ESC prior to release. I did not get anywhere with what the difference was between the "post 1408 version" and the earlier ones but just glad that it is now approved for use with ESC (by Redarc anyway)....

ESC compliance is approved by ALKO and all units returned to Redarc as non-ESC compliant will be replaced by a new MU (main unit) which has the updated programming. 1408 was the last batch that was built not ESC ready, every unit built after this date has the new programming and is ESC approved by ALKO. I am not aware of any reason why Tow Pro was not ESC ready from the outset but it is now.

Reactions: Cheyne78

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
I have one of the Tow pros fitted to my new tug .... a Y62 patrol ... and have just come back from 3000km outback trip with my 17.56. I actually bought a brand new P3 to install but while having a bull bar fitted I was offered a great deal on supply + fit on Tow pro as the 4x4 shop had never fitted one. I have had a P2 for the last 5years.
The Tow pro is very easy to calibrate and use and can be manually overridden if desired. The beauty is the fitment options and angles. It simply does its job and stays out of the way. I am extremely pleased.
I have an unfitted / unused P3 in original packaging for $100 if someone on the list wants it.
cheers
John
IMG_1017.jpg
Hi do you still have the P3 for sale?