Exterior Rear View Camera - Wireless

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Well folks the camera arrived. I've mucked about and installed it in a weather proof box.
It's mounted using the rope rail and some Scotch brand super velcro stuff.
2015-02-28 17.25.20.jpg

I've used a toggle switch to turn it on. It runs from a 12v rechargeable battery which should last around 2 days of continuous use if all of the technical crap is to be believed. The wireless range is around 20m through the house with good reception. So it should be ok on the road.

If all goes well I'll add a charging port and maybe put it in a better looking box.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I just fitted one of these today. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400566601388

Haven't got the tug end finished yet.

I mounted the camera on the number plate.

Have been using one of them on the Prado for the past two years and no issue....

Must be the time of year for reversing cameras as I've just fitted an Axis wired camera to the van. Just need to protect and fix the cable underneath then wire up the Prado to suit tomorrow. Will put pics up on our My Jayco page tomorrow when done!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Have been using one of them on the Prado for the past two years and no issue....

Must be the time of year for reversing cameras as I've just fitted an Axis wired camera to the van. Just need to protect and fix the cable underneath then wire up the Prado to suit tomorrow. Will put pics up on our My Jayco page tomorrow when done!

I haven't finished the wiring yet, but I'm hoping to connect it to the 12v supply for the fridge, so it will only be powered once the 12 pin plug is connected.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Will be running the wiring into the car, switched via an ignition powered source somewhere... Haven't thought that far ahead yet :playball:

Reactions: skippy

BlueBaggerBruce

Mar 4, 2015
Keysbrook WA
I wired mine into the tail lights of the van so if I want to see what's behind me, I just simply turn the tail lights on using the stalk next to the steering wheel and bingo... Couldn't be easier.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as most know already
I have the Polaris system in my car & van

the original cost was good - none avail on fleabay at that time - and I havve never realy had a problem with it

well, the only problem is as per normal, we want MORE - so after spending more and more on extras and bits

I am still more than happy with it

I have 7" monitor on the console, wired through to 1 camera next to number plate on Car - great for reversing into tight parking spots, also have 1 on the back of the van, not so much for when reversing into sites, but more for watching who and whats behind me as I travel

my sister has a wireless one on her Playdoh, and it seems to work ok, except when she has it on, and goes forwards, it shows someone elses reversing,,,,,,,,
hahahahahaha

craigandteena

Aug 30, 2014
Canberra
www.expandasdownunder.com
Well folks the camera arrived. I've mucked about and installed it in a weather proof box.
It's mounted using the rope rail and some Scotch brand super velcro stuff.
View attachment 30352
I've used a toggle switch to turn it on. It runs from a 12v rechargeable battery which should last around 2 days of continuous use if all of the technical crap is to be believed. The wireless range is around 20m through the house with good reception. So it should be ok on the road.

If all goes well I'll add a charging port and maybe put it in a better looking box.
@peterg, have you tested it on the road travelling yet? Did the reception hold or drop in and out? What was it like viewing cars since it was designed for reversing as apposed to viewing? Been looking for one that hooks into android via Point to Point WIFI?

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Quick trip around town with the camera running. Issues were:
1. it dropped out occasionally at very specific locations (probably interference, no big issue)
2. Lag was a bit annoying as the picture sometimes updated smoothly and stepped at other times. (Not really snd issue, very clear picture)

No other hassles though. Will add a charging port and paint it white. I'll probably drill some holes in the van after our trip so i won't need the battery long term. Will also look at seeing if the wireless transmitter will fit in a tail light so i won't need it in a box at all.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So I finally wired everything up for the wireless sender and receiver, and it was crap. Very fuzzy picture that kept dropping in and out. Obviously 100ft in China is different to here in Australia.

I've now removed the wireless bits, run a cable from the draw bar down to the rear for the camera, used 2 spare pins in the 12 pin connector and ran another cable up to the tug's screen, and bingo, works perfectly.

I also installed a switch so I can select between the camera on the tug and the camera on the van.

Will get the proper test over Easter

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Had heard of folks having to put the transmitter and receiver as close as possible with little in the way.
My plan is to add a switch so I can view the hitch, one day.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Had heard of folks having to put the transmitter and receiver as close as possible with little in the way.
My plan is to add a switch so I can view the hitch, one day.

I could have persisted moving the tx/rx around, but in the end, it was easier to just run a cable.

The receiver was also causing interference with the car radio.

I guess I was expecting a lot from a $20 Chinese unit from ebay :)

Last edited: