Exterior Rear view camera ideas / suggestions

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi all.

We'd appreciate some feedback on rear view cameras.

Don't want a reversing camera on the vehicle but considering a rear view camera for better vision while on the road....and maybe better vision for reversing the van in tight caravan park spots.

So far, we've discovered that a wired installation is more reliable than wireless and that the monitor can be easily attached to the rear view mirror, which would save yet another screen in the car right in the way. I hate too much in my face and space for another screen is scarce.

So...any thoughts as to how the wireless versus wired really performs? If wireless is just a bit unreliable, I can live with that as it's easier to install and can be removed when not needed for the van.

We have Clearviews so have adequate rear vision , but thinking a bit more wouldn't hurt to warn of bdoubles, etc a bit earlier.

Anyone using just a rear vision camera?
Is it wired or wireless?
Does it work ok?
What angle of view does it give?

(The joys of sorting out the build of a new van....and what could be incorporated in the initial build, rather that later)

Keep it simple, please, as I'm slow, as well as lazy!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Another question while I'm on a roll!

(Related to getting things right before the van is built)

Considering the smallest inverter which will fire up the coffee machine on 12v. My research suggests a 600 but I'm not convinced it needs to be that capacity...I know they drag lots of power at start up so I guess that's the important factor. The alternative is to change the coffee machine for a 12v model which is a real possibility....and keeps things simple. Also, I'm reluctant to have an inverter installed as some idiot (probably me) could leave it on.

We don't want to use an inverter for anything else but think if we ever need to go down that track then it's better to get it done during the build.

We've already made the reluctant decision to get two AGM batteries to be on the safe side because of extra fridge requirements.

I guess I should have started a new thread on this....sorry!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
We'd appreciate some feedback on rear view cameras.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So far, we've discovered that a wired installation is more reliable than wireless and that the monitor can be easily attached to the rear view mirror, which would save yet another screen in the car right in the way. I hate too much in my face and space for another screen is scarce.

first off..........
wireless V's hard wired
you would need a "repeater" somewhere near the rear of the car to pick up the signal from the rear of the van
with nearly 3 meters between dash and rear door + draw bar + length of Van - its a long distance for the wireless setup

you also have interference from other wireless cameras near by when not in reverse
(my sister has a wireless on on her pradoh, only gets turned on when reversing the car, as it picks up other signals when turned on, but not in reverse, might be just hers - but I am not a fan)

with a hard wired system, you can make it so it is on permanently (probably can do with wireless) while driving to give you your view of whats behind you

monitor on rear view mirror
- too small to see clearly (usually 1.5 - 2.5 inch screen)
- weight makes the mirror constantly move downwards (speaking from experience - had a monitor on the mirror f the cruiser - the mirror kept "flopping" down from the weight - remove monitor - no more "flopping"

I have my monitor on the console in between the gear stick and the dash, out of the "face" but within the area that I "scan" while driving

Is it wired or wireless?
Does it work ok?

yes, I have both on the Patrol and on the Van

Is it wired or wireless?
wired system - Polaris - expensive, but good

Does it work ok?
yeppers............... :bounce: love it to death

I have 120* on Patrol and 110* on the Van - would prefer 90* or 70* but too much money at the moment

while the Polaris system is a very good system - it does have limitations
BL00DY expensive and they are NOT interchangeable with any other system, which is a real downer

there are systems on the market now that are as good (if not better) than the Polaris - but it was the only thing around over 10yrs ago when I got it

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Another question while I'm on a roll!

Considering the smallest inverter which will fire up the coffee machine on 12v.

I fitted a 2000w pure sine inverter to my Flamingo - and only had 1 100Ah battery & 150w solar panels
it worked fine
-charging Laptops
-charging phones
-running TV & DVD for daughter

they are more than 1/2 price now compared to the one I brought - again, over 10 years ago

for charging Laptops and such, you NEED a Pure Sine inverter

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
My brother in law has a 2.4ghz digital wireless rear view camera and he says it is great
occasionally loses signal for a second or two while driving but during reversing it is always perfect
Does not have a repeater simple screw on and he was away
Landcruiser, 21 foot spinifex (metal sides)van and no interference.

Im going to go this way rather than hard wiring so when using the car day to day I can take the unit out.

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
If your doing a new van I would look at the dual split cameras pretty sure these are 40 and 120 so you can flick between both.
sd-dual-camera.jpg
I just went or the basic safety dave pack now twice :) one for each van for the Disco we have the screen that fits over the mirror.. you do get a lot of glare with it although its in the correct place to see someone hiding behind you.
I just ran mine under the van and bolted on spare tyre no drilling :)
Had the mirror unit put in car while they wired the 12 pin plug.

One thing I should of done is us the spare pins in 12 pin and wired it in there so one plug to rule them all.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks guys!

A mine of useful info....and some more homework for me to do.

I've just been talking with the dealer re the above, as well as trying to pin them down on other wiring, some of which will be done at factory and some outsourced....by us!

End result:

Rear view camera, if we decide on one, will be done by a mobile fitter dealer recommends so that's something to look at later.
Inverter...totally knocked on the head as we really don't need one just for a coffee maker. We'll get a 12v version if we need it.
And the ESC will be able to be disconnected if we need to, without losing the brakes.

But we did discover we need to upgrade the 240v charger to cope with the two onboard batteries.

And......they're designing my special Weber slide out box now so they checked to see if I'm happy!

I'm getting less grumpy with them ...maybe I'll look back on this and laugh sometime in the future.

Thanks for your input!

:boink:

Wombat6

Aug 27, 2016
Melbourne
Concerning the rear view camera, we finally pick up our Expanda 20.69 on Tuesday (can't wait). In the intervening months since we ordered it I have looked at lots of extras and decided to take a punt on the 4UCAM wireless camera. I really hope it works as I really like the idea of mounting my iPhone on the dash to monitor the camera as well as caravan tyre pressure. I'll let you know how it goes when I set it up.

I am also very interested in the coffee ideas. In the short term we will just make do with the standard stove top espresso maker but as it only makes one cup at a time it does cause delays for our morning caffeine hit.

Reactions: bigcol and Dobbie

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We have a Woolies pod machine for when we are on the grid but when off grid we just boil water and use a plunge coffee maker and if we want frothy coffee we have a 1200W inverter to run our milk frother. We carry ground coffee of our own choice and we love our coffee.

Reactions: bigcol and 17triton

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
I set up a wireless system for our Journey and have been very happy with it. I bought a camera with night vision, I clip on rear view mirror with monitor and I used a 3 watt video sender and receiver to transmit the video between the caravan and our Ranger. So far it's worked really well. Good vision from the rear during the day and night. The whole lot cost me about $160, so I'm pretty happy with that.
The main problem is that many of the wireless kits around hava a fairly low transmitter power output , and you can't alter the transmitter frequency if you do get interfearance. Using the video sender, I can select different frequencies using switches on the unit. So far I haven't had any interfearance issues.
Good luck.
Cheers
Nick

Max Wallace

Jul 5, 2015
Blue Mountains
I too purchased the split (dual) camera hard wired system from Safety Dave and I couldn't be happier with it. I leave it on all the time when towing and it gives a great depth of field (distant clear view) unlike many of the cheaper wireless cameras that I have experienced. This allows you to judge what if coming up behind well before it is on top of you, which of course is a great asset when travelling in the outback and those road-train trucks are barrelling down behind you. The system certainly made caravan travel much more relaxing for us. Highly recommend them.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just bring this to the surface and put my 2 bobs worth in.................................Hard wire camera works all the time as a rear view mirror on My Ute, the screen is mounted on the mirror and has 2 settings so with the van on back I can switch to it, I use 90 deg cameras so I can see whats behind me, would prefer 70 deg but the 90 allows me to see stuff at a distance and is good for reversing...................I use CCD cameras as the cheaper CMOS cams aren't all that great.............................Bought the gear from Brash Imports good service and they come with heaps of cable......................................Screen mounted on mirror is okay but since I use it all the time should have gone for the screen which mounts on the mirror mount instead of hooking over the mirror, the screen is designed to be used as a mirror when not turned on but I found I had to black out the rear window to stop glare from the alloy canopy.
Overall find it great, wireless is just too much trouble with reception............120 deg cam shows you a Kenworth when it's about 10 foot from you, useless.

Reactions: Dobbie and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks @Drover .....once again.

If we find we need a rear view camera on the van, I have now confirmed I need
  • Wired
  • Angle of 90 or less
  • Good rear view mirror mount
I'm still iffy about it but wanted to consider it before the car wiring is adapted for the new van.

We're going for
  • 7 pin plug so 12 pin has to be changed
  • Anderson for fridge 12v while moving (already have isolator etc)
  • Separate red Anderson for ESC so it can be easily disconnected
  • Extra Anderson, as usual, on van for portable solar, wired direct to battery
  • Extra Anderson on car so portable solar can be used to keep second battery up to charge (have had some issues with that in the past, caused by all the electronics on car) and needed if car is not used much
  • Good battery and water monitor
  • Two batteries...AGM 105 ah...in van
  • Car had dual batteries already
  • 25amp Projecta battery charger (with remote monitor)
  • 25amp Projecta DC to DC for solar to van
  • Provision for wired rear view camera (van only)
No wonder we're poor!

:chargrined::cool-19:

I just hope I haven't forgotten anything....again..as it's a pain to get done....but at least we won't run out of power if camped up for three weeks or so.

:couch2:...couch potato ambitions!

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds like you have it covered but what colour will the Jack be ?????
....................................I would like to add another battery for just in case but then I would also like to add another water tank for long stops, one day ......
What about a dash cam ????????

Wish your van would hurry up and get here, we want pics.....Mr @Dobbie

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I can officially state that the jack will be called "bottler" and will probably be red... I don't imagine they come in pink, with frills.

The van isn't due till next year, though it's hard to get an accurate answer. ...we want to get away by the end of February but whether that happens or not, who knows!

I range between hopeful anticipation and doubt it'll ever get built. I'm trying to get everything that ever annoyed me about vans sorted out before the event, not afterwards as usual.

As to a dash cam....not really interested as it would be yet another piece of technology to conquer.:behindsofa:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was the same about a dash cam, then one morning while motoring along between Quirindi and Premer NSW, a grain truck didnt stop after removing a few items from the side of The Tardis , after replacing the towing mirror a dash cam was next on the shopping list.......hopefully no next time but at least I'll have a bloodyy number plate..............mate just bought a Supreme van, very nice rig, took 3 mths to build, my house only took 4....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Me too, fingers crossed 3 yrs and nothing...................the evil eye works.........mind you I have run over a garden tap and the odd garden bed.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol