Exterior Rear Bed easy lift

donnybabes

Dec 24, 2012
Bendigo Vic
I have a 2012 16.49 series 3 Expanda and due to ageing,I am having a bit of difficulty lifting the the rear bed .I can manage the front one ok.I have thought of attaching a pully system or lifter to raise the bed most of the way up.I can then tuck my canvas in and give the extra push by hand to get the bed up. It is the initial first lifting that Im having trouble with.
Can anyone come up with a suggestion on how to do it or reccommend me to someone? I would rather get a pully or some sort of lifter fitted than get rid of the van.

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Perhaps some gas struts from the body of the van, down to the base of the bed somehow, that can assist with both the dropping of the bed and lifting back up?

I can't recall if there would be enough space for some struts to be tucked away when the whole bed end it closed up. My current van would be a very similar set up to yours, so will try and have a look at mine tomorrow and see what I can come up with. (I would do it tonight, but the winter chills are keeping me inside I'm afraid!)

donnybabes

Dec 24, 2012
Bendigo Vic
Thanks, I appreciate that. I cant see gas struts fitting.The bed ends have a wire on the inside that supports the bed Maybe a windup or battery operated lifter from one of these wires could help me?

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Yes, you are probably right about no space for the struts.

Directly below the bracket that holds the supporting cable on the inside of the van, perhaps another bracket could be fitted which would allow a small winch to be fitted, or the winch system could incorporate the current bracket, and replace the current cable with a winch friendly cable if needed. Here is a pic from the side of my van, assuming yours is similar?

Not sure how it would all work out, but Epsom Palms Caravan World might be a good place to start. From my little experience with them and from what I have heard, they seem to be helpful with repairs and caravan mods.

Attachments

• IMG_20140927_122642.jpg
    IMG_20140927_122642.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 193

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
I'm not familiar with expanda's but you say your only having trouble with the rear bed not the front, why, what is different between the two maybee this holds the answer to your problem.

donnybabes

Dec 24, 2012
Bendigo Vic
Yes, you are probably right about no space for the struts.

Directly below the bracket that holds the supporting cable on the inside of the van, perhaps another bracket could be fitted which would allow a small winch to be fitted, or the winch system could incorporate the current bracket, and replace the current cable with a winch friendly cable if needed. Here is a pic from the side of my van, assuming yours is similar?

Not sure how it would all work out, but Epsom Palms Caravan World might be a good place to start. From my little experience with them and from what I have heard, they seem to be helpful with repairs and caravan mods.

donnybabes

Dec 24, 2012
Bendigo Vic
Thanks for that,My bed is pretty much the same.I have the cable but not the support arm.I deal with Epsom Palms for my servicing etc,I will go see Michael and have a chat with him.

donnybabes

Dec 24, 2012
Bendigo Vic
I'm not familiar with expanda's but you say your only having trouble with the rear bed not the front, why, what is different between the two maybee this holds the answer to your problem.
The front bed is smaller.But if I can fix the back bed I will do the same on the front.All to make life easier.

Reactions: WHHEMI

donnybabes

Dec 24, 2012
Bendigo Vic
My bed is pretty much the same.I have the cable but not the support arm.I deal with Epsom Palms for my servicing etc,I will go see Michael and have a chat with him. Thanks

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
With 2 pulleys and anchors at each end you could put a small mechanical advantage system in which would give you MA of 2 to 1. This would effectively halve the weight of the bed.
If it isnt enough enough you could use double pulley system and makenit 4 to 1 now lifting a quarter of the load.
I would check a yacht chandellery as dinghy pulleys would be ideal, many also have cam devices for progress capture so you wouldnt have to hold the rope while tucking canvass away.

Reactions: dagree