Interior Rear bed anchor point working loose

Steve Davis

Jul 12, 2016
Tasmania
Hi all, wonder if anyone has had a problem with the anchor points on the bed ends?

This bracket is on the rear bed fold out and it has begun to work loose...both sides. The screws have started to pull out from the wall.
View attachment 49600
We have 2 kids sleeping on the rear bed - less than 100kg total weight.

Question is, what are the screws going into - is it just the wall panel or is there something more substantial in there?! Simply a matter of plugging the holes and putting in longer screws?

Thanks all - I did try a search of the forum for similar issue but came up empty.

Cheers

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I couldnt see pic there mite be a block of timber they screw into like where they screw pop top latches and awning fixing points ...... but only guessing it would be pine not hard wood ????? Dont know what timber it is if its split the answer ???? Buggered if i know longer screws ??????? Need more advice

Steve Davis

Jul 12, 2016
Tasmania
bedend.JPG

Thanks @Bluey - not sure what happened with the photo in first post?

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I can't remember what they screwed into................remove screw and have a look in the hole and up the screw size, I wouldn't go longer just fatter, if they were overtightened in wood or alloy they could work loose, most of the screws I came across were too small most times.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Never heard of that before. There should be timber plates in the wall at that point. One side coming loose, maybe, but both sides suggests a bigger issue. Maybe there's no plating (or inadequate plating) inside the wall. My boy and I used to wrestle on the rear bed of our 16.49.1 and never had a issue.

Reactions: bigcol

Steve Davis

Jul 12, 2016
Tasmania
Thanks for the replies guys.

Have tagged the job for this weekend and will let you know what I find. Interested to hear it's not a common fault...which is good! My boys wrestle on that bed and I blamed that; perhaps it's a bit more sinister :apologetic:

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It might be something as simple as the work experience kid who built your van just used the wrong screws, i had things fall off because the screws were too short, one thread to bite is never enough.

Steve Davis

Jul 12, 2016
Tasmania
pulled one of the fixing brackets off the wall today. Not exactly sure what the side walls are made from but there certainly isn't anything solid behind the 4-5mm ply sheet - just the foam filling - no timber bracing??!! The screws would seem to be both long enough and fat enough - if they were actually going into something of substance.

So, happy for your thoughts. Liquid nails?

Cheers

IMG_9604.jpg IMG_9606.jpg IMG_9610.jpg IMG_9609.jpg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
No liquid nails it melts through the foam and will run down the inside of the wall dont ask how i know this but i tryed a smilar thing lost half a tube dont know where its gone and it didnt work at all
Jayco is your only hope or has been said a repairer that deals with them
Good luck bro
Sometimes they miss the blocks on the pop top latches heres some advice allways check the screws are staying tight on them

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would be getting a bit of alloy angle, say about 4mm and screw it over the mount area, about 50mm bigger than the bracket, then screw the bracket to it, bog the old holes first but the plate will spread the load and all should be good. Polished up and rounded corners the new mount will look like original.........Just don't use small self tappers like Jayco use everywhere.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
As part of my van order, I requested the wall construction drawings from the factory (20.63.1OB, front bed only). Among other things, the drawing shows 2 x 140mm x 200mm wall blocks on each side at the front edge of both walls.

The higher of the 2 blocks blocks on each side would be very close to the position of the anchor plate; in my plans the top of the higher block is slightly lower than the top of the vans door. I cant confirm if that coincides with the actual anchor plate height because our vans not handy at the moment ... but an educated guess would be that precisely where the anchor plate is

Steve Davis

Jul 12, 2016
Tasmania
that makes good sense @Crusty181 - my highly scientific testing of the area - tapping with my knuckles - sounds very solid around the front bed anchor points and very hollow around the rear points; not to mention I can see nothing but white foam through the screw holes at the rear

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
As soon as you employ science, you can go wrong. Just ask Prof Tim Flannery o_O
Ha ha ha bloody funny bro yes it will never rain again as i take Australian of the year prize but most of us on the train have coats on and the wet roads indicates to me its raining im no expert in this feild but it seems wet unless its heavy dew
But our dams while not full are well over what thay need to be so no need for the biggest desal plant in southern part of this world to be on what a waist of time and effort one the size of perths would have been fine
Sorry for the rant back to your bed end
@Crusty181 starts thease things he dangels a carrot i allways bite it

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@dagree @Drover have you guys ever seen that happen?
First time I've seen or heard of this happening!
If you do a DYI fix @Steve Davis I would go along the lines of @Drover 's suggestion of spreading the load..... I did a similar fix with an awning bracket on our last van when it got ripped off and took 90% of the timber with it!!
IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0182.JPG

The above was a temporary fix to get us home and the chequer plate was "eventually" replaced with a slightly larger piece of white powder coated flat aluminium sheeting.

Steve Davis

Jul 12, 2016
Tasmania
finally getting around to updating this thread on the solution to this problem

as I dropped my van into our local caravan mob for a service I mentioned to them the problem with the bed end. I was really after ideas for a fix but when I went to pick up the van they had repaired it - happy days

Their solution was to put a nylon block in the space between the bracket and the rear wall. This prevents the fulcrum effect on the bracket when there is weight on the bed. They have also replaced screws and added a couple to rear wall. It doesn't excuse the fact there was no bracing in the side wall to fix the bracket to. All-in-all it's an interesting design and clearly doesn't fail in 99% of cases.

I think this is a reasonable solution and in theory should work - guess time will tell.
bed end repair_1.jpg bed end repair_2.jpg