16' Series Ready To Sign Off On New Expanda - Last Advice

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Attached is the Final Order Form for our new 16.49-4 Outback which is expected to be ready mid July.

Since my first post on this subject a couple of months ago a few interesting things have been posted which keen to clarify:
1. There was some talk on the 'new' bed ends having trouble leaking and that they were re-designing these. Does anyone know about this and info relating to a design to include privacy screen attachments.
2. When we originally signed up, Mambo Cream was the only floor vinyl offered. A recent post indicated there was now a choice. Is this confirmed?

Advice

Our order fairly standard extras 1. 16" wheels, extended draw bar, show special (TV, windup antenna, Fusion Sound System), Anderson Plug at tow hitch.
I will definitely order the picnic table but other than that not sure what else required.

From experience, where would be some good additional plug outlets? I was hoping to get reverse camera that is Android compatible. I'm not sure if need this incorporated at time of build.

Last minute feedback prior to signing on the dotted line. Can't wait.

Attachments

• Expanda Plans.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 580

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Attached is the Final Order Form for our new 16.49-4 Outback which is expected to be ready mid July.

Since my first post on this subject a couple of months ago a few interesting things have been posted which keen to clarify:
1. There was some talk on the 'new' bed ends having trouble leaking and that they were re-designing these. Does anyone know about this and info relating to a design to include privacy screen attachments.
2. When we originally signed up, Mambo Cream was the only floor vinyl offered. A recent post indicated there was now a choice. Is this confirmed?

Advice

Our order fairly standard extras 1. 16" wheels, extended draw bar, show special (TV, windup antenna, Fusion Sound System), Anderson Plug at tow hitch.
I will definitely order the picnic table but other than that not sure what else required.

From experience, where would be some good additional plug outlets? I was hoping to get reverse camera that is Android compatible. I'm not sure if need this incorporated at time of build.

The new bed end lids are staying on the poptops. Various reasons have been given, but typically most dealers have no genuine idea why. There has been posts here dispelling the leak rumour

They apparently dont have flies to suit, but the story that the change back is due to the inability to fit the existing flies is a guess. It would be cheaper to source a fly than trash f/glass mould etc

Last edited:

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Hi Brad
im the most tech retard out there. I suppose my main reason is I have prado with screen which I dont thunk will b compatible with additional camera so im not to keen on having another screen put in the car. Therefore my thoughts were to look at one that is wireless from camera to mob phone device. Not even sure whats out there. Any suggestions appreciated

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Being an outback model can I conclude you will do some free camping. If so I recommend an additional water tank, HWS with gas bottle and external shower. Love them in our 14 footer

Reactions: achjimmy

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
And make sure the battery is supplied and therefore weighed in with your Tare weight. Otherwise it will eat into your payload.
Two picnic tables too if you can squeeze them in.

tassiesurf

Apr 26, 2015
tassie
Extra Power points
Gas bayonet fittings *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* one at each end
Drifter control panel
Water filter
Storm covers bed ends
External shower
Upgraded solar from 120 to 150w
The things that are hard to install later Gas and power points,

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Being an outback model can I conclude you will do some free camping. If so I recommend an additional water tank, HWS with gas bottle and external shower. Love them in our 14 footer

Yep I would go with above.

@David Spencer can I ask what the Jayco clock is worth and have you seen them? Only reason I ask is when I suggested it on our Expanda the dealer had a fit, he said they were Crap with a Capitol C and that they are cut in so once you have been through a few and warrants up you have to find something to cover up the hole. That was 4 years ago.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Make sure you get all the extras quoted BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. This is where the savings are. I have seen so many times (many on here) people get excited an sign up, then get hit full whack for the add ons they though about later. The dealers love it.
This even includes extra power and 12v points, external aerial point, any extra lights, etc
These add up quickly at full retail!

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015

Advice

We will hopefully receive our 16.49.4 this week. We added an extra gas bottle, HWS, picnic table, longer drawbar, water tank and external shower,

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Achjimmy, nah mate haven't seen the clock so can't help. Youngy73, can't wait to see some snaps and your initial assessment of the Van.

Thanks for all the advice. MDS69 the OB option leaves our options open. We definitely do some free camping but nothing hard core and up to about a week on the road. Will definitely consider all the above options guys and look forward to sending up some posts on arrival.

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
my van was allegedly scheduled off the production line on the 1.5.15. and due to arrive in cairns later that week. Its now 13.5.15 and the dealer has turned into a mute. i cant get any information out of them and its pissing me off. I have no idea when my van is getting here and i am heading down there tomorrow to have a talk with them. he told me the other day that my van has been pulled aside in the factory as part of a mangers quality assurance (bullshit i think). apparently 1 in every 100 gets extra checks for quality. This should be interesting if i find faults with it as i am a fusy bastard. the cairns camping show is on in cairns this weekend and i truly would not be surprised to see my van on display there. i have an inherent distrust of all sales people.

Panda Shell

Oct 28, 2014
Kalamunda WA
my van was allegedly scheduled off the production line on the 1.5.15. and due to arrive in cairns later that week. Its now 13.5.15 and the dealer has turned into a mute. i cant get any information out of them and its pissing me off. I have no idea when my van is getting here and i am heading down there tomorrow to have a talk with them. he told me the other day that my van has been pulled aside in the factory as part of a mangers quality assurance (bullshit i think). apparently 1 in every 100 gets extra checks for quality. This should be interesting if i find faults with it as i am a fusy bastard. the cairns camping show is on in cairns this weekend and i truly would not be surprised to see my van on display there. i have an inherent distrust of all sales people.

Wow extra quality checks! Our van must have missed every quality check!! I absolutely love the jayco vans but far out, they need to stick a rocket up some butts in that factory and stop trying to do things on the cheap. They have such a winning formula but are letting it slip. Once you get past the initial frustrations, you will love your van.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

Mate if they have it at the show you would have good reason to go postal.

Reading this post and others on delivery along with what happened to ours. I am thinking the new black hole at Jayco is despatch and transport. I know with ours it sat for a week in despatch even though it was urgent because of there mistakes and had been made in three weeks.

FNQ is a long way Iam sure there not going to despatch a truck without it haveing a full load of vans. Or perhaps your dealer stooges your delivery for the show shipment? Either way you are entilted to a truthful answer as our dealer had given us even though it was disappointing.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If your van hasn't turned up prior to the show and you go to the show and see a similar/same model then take photos of the serial numbers on the draw bars and compliance plates and cross reference with yours at delivery to check if yours was used.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thats not 100% accurate; the MQAC (Managers Quality Assurance Check) is applied to every 1 in 165,000 units produced and the very first MQAC is not expected to be scheduled until 2018, around September if think ... the rest of us get the NEGE (Near Enough Good Enough) method.

Your chassis number will be on your Order Form. The final sign off contains the chassis number so theres no confusion as to what was signed off for what van order. I would not be beating around the bush with the dealer, if your are concerned it may find its way to the caravan show its best to raise that upfront, and let them know you would find that completely unacceptable. Any van used at the show will be become at the bare minimum a demo model, and not the sparkly new van you ordered and then subject to an acceptable demo discount, or newly negotiated sale price, possibly minus a daily rental whilst at the show if thats their plan. (say $1000/day, plus any damage etc repaired)