14' Series Pumping water from creek to van

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
You need a good filter get a B.E.S.T. water filter best around google them to find one 120 bucks best thing i got for my van as van park water is normaly very rusty and some of it crap i filter water to fill tanks and allways filter it into van when i clean filter by back washing it the crap that comes out from van parks is quite surpriseing never got water from a creek you want to be very sure water is good but running through a BEST water filter would be the go if its ok for drinking

Reactions: Craig and Leanne

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have a search there's an informative thread earlier this year I think it was.........someone will have a link to it .

Reactions: Craig and Leanne

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Looking to pump water from creek to van when free camping to top up water tanks. Will I need an inverter to power it? Look forward to udeas.
Cheers Craig

Are you wanting to access the non-potable water for showering, or drinking or both?. A simple 12v Whale impeller pump and 20ltr jerry filled by hand at the river will do the job without getting too complex and expensive.

Australian rivers are breeding grounds for bacteria
such as E coli, and Protozoa (parasites) particular Giardia. Nasty buggers that on a good day will give your toilet a serious workout, or much worse on a bad day. You should be particularly careful of not poisoning your sealed caravan plumbing system by pumping contaminated water in your vans tanks. The Aust Drinking Water Guidelines recommend never to drink untreated river water, so the extension to that is not to put untreated river water into you tanks. You can never be sure what is floating in a river upstream, or washing into it from catchments. Crystal clean water can (and does) carry toxins so boiling and/or quality filtration is an absolute must for drinking water or caravan systems.

Non potable water for showering isnt a toxin issue, accept that to use the caravans onboard shower you need to access the water from the vans water tanks and unfortunate that's the same sealed system that provides drinking water so any water you put into the water tanks must be potable. The only options are to properly treat/ or filter the river water, or run a portable shower with river water for showering. We have 20ft van with full bathroom but we carry and use a portable Coleman HWS shower when free camping.

Aug 20, 2016
Yackandandah
Are you wanting to access the non-potable water for showering, or drinking or both?. A simple 12v Whale impeller pump and 20ltr jerry filled by hand at the river will do the job without getting too complex and expensive.

Australian rivers are breeding grounds for bacteria
such as E coli, and Protozoa (parasites) particular Giardia. Nasty buggers that on a good day will give your toilet a serious workout, or much worse on a bad day. You should be particularly careful of not poisoning your sealed caravan plumbing system by pumping contaminated water in your vans tanks. The Aust Drinking Water Guidelines recommend never to drink untreated river water, so the extension to that is not to put untreated river water into you tanks. You can never be sure what is floating in a river upstream, or washing into it from catchments. Crystal clean water can (and does) carry toxins so boiling and/or quality filtration is an absolute must for drinking water or caravan systems.

Non potable water for showering isnt a toxin issue, accept that to use the caravans onboard shower you need to access the water from the vans water tanks and unfortunate that's the same sealed system that provides drinking water so any water you put into the water tanks must be potable. The only options are to properly treat/ or filter the river water, or run a portable shower with river water for showering. We have 20ft van with full bathroom but we carry and use a portable Coleman HWS shower when free camping.
Good feed back thanks! Something to think about...