Privacy Screens

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
With all the previous discussions on privacy screens and our own experience of wet canvas soaking through to the bed, we decided to try another solution.

We took our privacy screen to a local canvas shop and asked them to make a canvas screen exactly the same as the mesh. The photos show the result.

Canvas privacy screen 1.jpg Canvas privacy screen 2.jpg Canvas privacy screen 3.jpg

We have yet to try it but my wife thinks it may even be a bit warmer, like double insulation. We will find out.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
With all the previous discussions on privacy screens and our own experience of wet canvas soaking through to the bed, we decided to try another solution.

We took our privacy screen to a local canvas shop and asked them to make a canvas screen exactly the same as the mesh. The photos show the result.

That does look very good. Just the thing for heavy weather. can you give me the name of the company who made it

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
That does look very good. Just the thing for heavy weather. can you give me the name of the company who made it

:gossip: It was "Clarke's Canvas Products P/L" in Lawrence Drive, Nerang. Cost $150 which we thought was not too bad, but they took around 5-6 weeks to make and we had to chase them a few times to get them even then. He said it was difficult getting the clips in the exact spot as the mesh stretches but he has done a pretty good job, at least they all do up. :whoo:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I want one!

Great stuff chartrock, was going to do the same thing. Let us know how it goes next time you are out in the rain:rain:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looks like a neat job, can you still leave them under the hardlid when packing up or do you have to remove them 1st?

I reckon it will offer extra warmth too as on cold nights you defenantly feel the cold air come through the canvas.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Looks like a neat job, can you still leave them under the hardlid when packing up or do you have to remove them 1st?

I reckon it will offer extra warmth too as on cold nights you defenantly feel the cold air come through the canvas.

Cruza, I did not try to fold it under the hard lid but I would imagine it would. The only thing would be the extra thickness but it is not that much if folded properly.

I believe the extra warmth theory. Did you feel the cold up in the centre? It sure can get cold overnight out there.

Moto, I'll keep you posted, off in less than 3 weeks but hoping for good weather. :whistle:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Looks good chart rock and will definitely help, I was going to do something with that smokey, cafe curtain plastic you can get. My neighbor had a black vinyl privacy screen made up for his 18.57 for the same reason. His was made by Nans tarps for those of us in Sydney. I am trying to get time to put up a new garage which will be home to a new expanda, I have several rolls of Aircell insulation on order. Was hoping to try it under the bed and also between bed ends and privacy screens for thoses colder areas

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Cruza, I did not try to fold it under the hard lid but I would imagine it would. The only thing would be the extra thickness but it is not that . Did you feel the cold up in the centre? It sure can get cold overnight out there.
Yes mate we had a couple of frosts when we were free camping (no heater) or staying at cattle stations and you could feel the coldness near the canvas. We used a doona and a blanket at night but we are going to take our winter sleeping bags next time I reckon they will be much warmer. In saying that we were never uncomfortable, and stepping outside when the outback sun rises soon distracts you of the temperature :dance:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I was going to do something with that smokey, cafe curtain plastic you can get. My neighbor had a black vinyl privacy screen made up for his 18.57 for the same reason.

G'day Jim. We bought some of the smoky vinyl to try and tried to attach to the mesh screen with velcro but it was too heavy to hold on so we gave the idea away and went for the canvas. It may have worked if we had fitted the press studs to the vinyl and fitted it instead of the mesh, rather than trying to keep both on, but we did not think the vinyl alone would offer any privacy.

Aircell, is that a foam rubber thing or a plastic. :noidea: Some insulation at the bed ends sounds like a good idea so let us know how it goes. :clap2:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Looks good and no doubt pracital but being canvas I'm guessing they aren't see through like the standard ones therefore reducing ventilation.?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Looks good and no doubt pracital but being canvas I'm guessing they aren't see through like the standard ones therefore reducing ventilation.?

You're right, Bushman. They definitely are not see through but I don't think the ventilation will be a problem as it will only go on in lousy weather when we would probably have the flaps zipped up if the mesh screens were on. With these on we can have the flaps right open without getting wet and, as it does not seal (the bottom is still open) air can still get in. That's the theory, anyway, I hope it works that way.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
You're right, Bushman. They definitely are not see through but I don't think the ventilation will be a problem as it will only go on in lousy weather when we would probably have the flaps zipped up if the mesh screens were on. With these on we can have the flaps right open without getting wet and, as it does not seal (the bottom is still open) air can still get in. That's the theory, anyway, I hope it works that way.

The more I see these the more I like. So I guess you could have them made with the "cafe" clear plastic sewn in where the openings are in the expanda? So if it was wet and warm you could get a little light in?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I see a money making business in this idea. From the feedback posted there is obviously a need with Expanda owners. Maybe another product for Christian from Stone Stomper or some similar business.