Electrical Powering fridge off solar power

Sammy_STR

Sep 16, 2015
Yarra Ranges
Hay guys, I'm new to forum so quick intro, I'm Sammy and my wife and I just got ourselves an 08 Jayco Hawk.

Sorry if this has been asked before...

So my question is, while we do a lot of camping at powered sites, we also like to head off the tracks and go unpowered a lot too. Obviously I can run my fridge on gas power however gas can be expensive and I'm thi king of getting some solar panels. Is there a way to run the fridge of solar power, I'm sure there would be just asking the knowledgable.

Thinking of running some 12V 240w solar panels to put on the roof when stopped to charge a couple of 80 A/H batteries which could maybe power the fridge and lights in the van while unpowered camping.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Its possible with a waeco style compressor fridge but depends on battery size and solar size, sun etc.

Since you already have s gas fridge it will be cheaper to use it than to buy the other gear. Gas works pretty well too

Sammy_STR

Sep 16, 2015
Yarra Ranges
Cheers guys.. How long would a full gas bottle last if being used in summer if I pre cooled the fridge using 240 before leaving the house. The issue I have I guess is if it's a total fire ban would I need to shut the gas off, considering I'm sure it uses a pilot light..

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Definately gas.
From a cost and ease of use point of view. You'd be hard pressed to use a 9kg gas bottle in about 3 weeks of constant use...cost of $24-$30 to refill.

That's if the camper has a 9k bottle...halve that if smaller 4.5 bottle. As you have a gas fridge stick with that; they are very efficient on gas.

If you're after solar for powering an onboard battery that's a completely separate matter. Lights etc very efficient on 12v if led but battery, solar etc to set up could cost upwards of $500 ....expensive for powering a fridge.

I'd suggest you give some thought to what else you want to power via solar and check out the comparative costs.

Good luck with it....we loved our Swan and went through the same deliberations.

Reactions: Bluey and Sammy_STR

Sammy_STR

Sep 16, 2015
Yarra Ranges
That's great to hear that the gas is nice and efficient. Yes it's a 9kg bottle so I'd be happy with 2-3 weeks. The solar is more for when we're camping unpowered to use lights and maybe charge a phone or something but I won't be rushing out to do it strait away if I'm good for gas on the fridge. How long would the battery last if fully charged if using the lights just for a bit here and there. If it's a while the ill hold off on the solar for a bit.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Depends on size of battery ...is it already fitted?

A 100amp battery, if used with LED lights, and a bit of phone charging etc should give you at least 3-4 days. With non LED lights somewhat less.

An alternative is a power bank (we've just got one) which will charge phones, iPads etc and, with some 5v LEDs, cost about $120. And is lighter in weight and less stuffing around. At least in theory.

Reactions: Sammy_STR

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Cheers guys.. How long would a full gas bottle last if being used in summer if I pre cooled the fridge using 240 before leaving the house. The issue I have I guess is if it's a total fire ban would I need to shut the gas off, considering I'm sure it uses a pilot light..
Hi @Sammy_STR. Welcome. We need more Navaras on here. Im certainly no expert with this but I give it a go. You can use the fridge on gas on total fire ban days.

From a 3 way fridge efficiency perspective best to worst is Gas, elec, 12v. I presume you have around a 100ltr fridge in the Hawk and that fridge will consume around 10amps/hr on 12v so will give your car battery 240amp kicking over a 24hr period, around the same as leaving your car headlights on. Gas consumption is around 20gram/hr so you 9kg gas bottle would last around 18 days. 12v fridge mode is very inefficient and will struggle to run the fridge, but it will consume lots of energy whilst its struggling. Gas mode will run quite well until the outside temp reaches the fridges limit ... on a 2008 model that limit would be mid 30's where it will struggle and when you don't open it. A small 12v efficient computer fan behind the fridge to keep air moving over the heat ex-changer on hot days will make a difference and help the fridge to cope with heat.

Peak solar production per the solar stats in Vic avg 4ish hours per day in text book conditions but weather, heat, cloud, shade, dirt, orientation etc plays a big part. Its possible to produce nothing for weeks on end if the conditions are against you, so relying on solar would be a massive gamble. A 150w panel in theory will produce 600w of power per day (it wont but we'll assume it does) and that equates to about 50amp over the generation period ... so you would need at least 5 x 150w panels and perfect conditions to just keep up with the fridges power consumption on 12v; and the fridge will be running on its worst more inefficient mode.

Last edited:

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We use to use ours for 10 days over summer up in monkey Mia when we had our swan. It lasted the whole trip, and then some. (Was a 9kg bottle). But, we didn't have a HWS to chew up gas which may have made a difference.

Reactions: dagree

Sammy_STR

Sep 16, 2015
Yarra Ranges
Thank you all for the amazingly detailed and prompt responses, I signed up yesterday to ask this question but will be here a lot after having a good look through the site. I have had a good look at the gas system today. Unfortunately I can't get the fridge to turn on with gas but that may just e a regulator issue as the van had been sitting for a bit before I bought it so I'll take it down to jayco in Bayswater and get it services, unless anyone from around my area can suggest a better/cheaper place to take it to have it looked at. Question, what does HWS mean in this context???
Cheers guys.

Crusty, how does your Nav go towing your van? I have an 03 so a ZD30 and it tows like a dream.

Reactions: dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thank you all for the amazingly detailed and prompt responses, I signed up yesterday to ask this question but will be here a lot after having a good look through the site. I have had a good look at the gas system today. Unfortunately I can't get the fridge to turn on with gas but that may just e a regulator issue as the van had been sitting for a bit before I bought it so I'll take it down to jayco in Bayswater and get it services, unless anyone from around my area can suggest a better/cheaper place to take it to have it looked at. Question, what does HWS mean in this context???
Cheers guys.

Crusty, how does your Nav go towing your van? I have an 03 so a ZD30 and it tows like a dream.
HWS = hot water system