Just Browsing Possible Roof Leak location....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have found a possible leak point on the roof for those who have wind up TV aerials. While cleaning my roof down to replace the sealant on the corners, the plastic saddle which the aerial post rest on when retracted fell to bits.
Since it is only a plastic door stop, $2 had a replacement but I found the screw holding it down was very badly rusted and on removal, the rust had eaten a fair bit of the thread and was just starting to work it's way thru the sealant and into the roof cavity, any longer and I think I would have been in some trouble.
New sealant and I used a shorter fatter screw than what was supplied with the stopper, in fact shorter than the original as well, it was very long I think it might have been only a mm or 2 from going right thru.
So if your van is a few years on or is in the open a lot it may be worth a check.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I have found a possible leak point on the roof for those who have wind up TV aerials. While cleaning my roof down to replace the sealant on the corners, the plastic saddle which the aerial post rest on when retracted fell to bits.
Since it is only a plastic door stop, $2 had a replacement but I found the screw holding it down was very badly rusted and on removal, the rust had eaten a fair bit of the thread and was just starting to work it's way thru the sealant and into the roof cavity, any longer and I think I would have been in some trouble.
New sealant and I used a shorter fatter screw than what was supplied with the stopper, in fact shorter than the original as well, it was very long I think it might have been only a mm or 2 from going right thru.
So if your van is a few years on or is in the open a lot it may be worth a check.
I am curious as to what style of arial @Drover I am assuming it's the Wingard snow flake or the old wing style maybe.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The old wing type but I assumesince they both use the same wind up unit they would have a similar stopper.