Exterior Positive Air Pressure in van

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
As some may be aware Im going to fit a positive air pressure system to our van, originally by sucking air through a car filter setup via a bilge blower in van. But I have very limited room for the plumbing of it all so after giving it some thought wondered about doing this.
Alot of people reacon the little air flap vents in the ceiling that you pop up on dusty roads work well so I was thinking of making an adaptor to convert rectangle hole to round, mounting(removable of coarse) bilge blower to adaptor and fitting a pod filter to blower. If these vents work ok with no filter there must be very little dust finding its way onto van roof while travelling so pod filter should be ok.
Adaptor would need a secure way to hold blower but easily removable while still being able to operate the flap.
So really, simply open flap and hook blower up, turn power on to blower and very quickly you should have pasitive pressure in van.
What do you all think?

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpg

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
My concern with this would be the fact that the blower is having to hold it's own weight and with corrugations on dirt roads it will eventually fall... Other than that anything that can positively pressurise would be good. Will need to have a good amount of air push through though as the vent on the door is rather large in itself.

BJ

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've thought of similar but have found after a few dirt roads, sealing the big gaps under the van at the rear, sorting out the boot seal , adding a grey water tank with tap which blocked the drains as sometimes would forget to put plugs in sink and shower and covering the door vent with a piece of vinyl I have virtually eliminated the dust problem...The door vent cover is on the inside, stuck with double sided tape at the top so that when closed the wire door holds it tight, that way if we want the vent open we just flip it up, the small vents just get a bit of gaffa if needed but haven't bothered that much, now hit the dirt don't need to bugger around at all...........so in the end didn't need to go to the trouble, just required some dirt roads to travel over and a good look afterwards to work out what was needed.

You do need to check that your fridge is installed correctly and the rear of it is sealed from the inside of the van, wheel arches need to be checked, in fact a good look over everything as the work experience kids that built it may have missed with the sealant....they did with mine.

Years ago I found the cab filter in the truck would be totally stuffed after 1 road train went past, so than I would just stop the rig or drive off into the scrub.