17' Series PopTop Roof Misaligned

Steve1307

Jun 23, 2015
Sydney
Ours is the same, comes down too far on the awning side.
Sometimes so much that the off side clips cannot be done up and the entire roof seal is almost off the awning side edge.

Discussing this on warranty as it's a new van.
Initially it was just OK and if it did come down slightly off 5-10mm or so we could still do the clips up

Lately the air struts seem to drop on the awning side preferentially so it always "falls" sideways.
Its almost as if the ones on the awning side are lower spring rating. (which they aren't)

We've tried it with the awning supports out and locked with some slack in the awning as soon as it begins to lower, and trying to hold the awning side up. (Very difficult even with 2 people).
The weight of awning is still pulling somewhat, even if it is not reeling up with spring tension on the roller.

With the awning supports totally folded up (vertical) and the awning roll set "open" so that it does not tension up, it goes totally slack as soon as the roof moves and being vertical does not pull to one side. This has worked once for us still trying to hold up the awning side.

Thinking to remove the air struts and test and swap sides to see if that makes a difference.

A Jayco service centre mentioned that if the tensioner on the awning roll is set too high then it will likely pull to one side but thought not enough to cause severe misalignment. The roll tension can be adjusted but the downside is this may give a slack awning when its rolled out.

It's the awning roller pulling it across. Our current van was quite bad and they realigned the roof over a tad. I also encourage the roof to go the other way when I lower it by applying pressure to the handles.

any idea how "they" did this? Remove the whole roof and realign the strut mountings?

Last edited:
Reactions: burnsie

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
My new one moved so much to one side when doing the pick up they had to hold onto it and get roof realigned. Told to leave awning in open position when closing. Apart from a mm here and there it has since been good.

Reactions: burnsie and Delano

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
it dose help to open the awning a couple of feet to make it easier for roof to go up or down and your van and I think all vans will have a way it likes to close some can be different ??? mine is back first then front , so I open front first

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Always fit the two roof supports on the awning side when it's pulled out. Also have the awning rolled all the way in when lowering and raising the roof. Tried it a couple of times on the old van with the awning out slightly and could see the roof move to the awning side when lowering. But this van doesn't do it!

I suppose it's van dependant due to different roller tensions etc?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But aren't those Millard style braces spring loaded, you may not be able to move the thing.

toadskin

Aug 1, 2015
Drummond Cove
My Outback has the same misalignment problem when closing. This fixed it.

They are made from nylon/teflon cutting board and are Sikaflexed in position. As the roof lowers the edge slides down the locator blocks and then sits aligned perfectly.

Attachments

• P1080199.jpg
    P1080199.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 609
  • P1080200.jpg
    P1080200.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 569

toadskin

Aug 1, 2015
Drummond Cove
My roof, like most I've seen and read about, settled more toward the awning side of the van, so the locator blocks are on the other side to "push" ther roof back over as it is lowered. One at the front, one at the rear. The screws you can see on the locators are just to hold three sheets of the nylon/teflon together (to give it thickness) as it just doesn't like to be glued by anything. The nylon/teflon is a Wiltshire Cutting Board I bought at a kitchen supply shop.

The width of the locators at the base were about 67mm. The height wasn't critical. The first ones were made of timber so I could pack them out a bit until I got the width right and the roof sat where I wanted it to be. If you start at 67mm you should be pretty close. Mine was 67 at the rear and 69 at the front.

Last edited: