Electrical Pop Top Shorting Light Fuse

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi All
A mate of mine has a 16ft Expanda pop top.
Whenever he pops the roof up or brings it down he blows the light fuse, he has checked the wiring loom to the roof but that seems ok.
Anyone had this issue or may know what it could be

His workaround is remove the fuse pop up or down he roof and then replace the fuse (this has been working fine for a while now)

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
Haven't had trouble but I think there will still be a short to frame there some where when it's moved.
If no one has had this problem, Probably have another look with a meter to check resistance (power off) to find cable with the short and replace whole cable. I know it's only 12v but your mate doesn't need dodgy cable to short at ant time and possibly cause more damage!

Reactions: Delano

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi @NoWorries ,
You could get him to look at the small junction box that connects the frame wiring with the wiring that runs to the roof. Jayco are notorious for bad wiring. Mine had poor connections there which caused issues in my previous expanda. Also he could disconnect the wiring from the junction box and pull the cable through the skirt of the pop top section to reveal the cable that goes to the roof. Inspect it for damage. Hook up a multimeter and lightly wiggle the cable to see where the short is. Lastly check to see if one of the screws for the cable support on the roof has gone through a wire. Let us know how he goes.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: Delano