Electrical Poor choices, bad combinations and unprepared

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Last week while camping at Booloumba Creek near Kenilworth, the shade temp during the day reached 40C and the night temps did not drop below 22C for 3 days in a row! Upon arrival, happened to choose a spot in relatively shady spot near another camper. He was having trouble with connecting his solar panel and asked if I knew anything about solar. Very humbly, I said that I could probably help him. That was the beginning of discovering all the things that were going to make his camping impossible.
1. He had just purchased a really nice LG 80L compressor fridge/freezer which he had in the back of his tug. Great start!
2. He had a portable power box which contained 2 X 24ah batteries in parallel which he had bought at the big green shed - the last one they had - at a reduced price. Trouble was that he was advised that it would run his fridge, but they did not say how long! Also, the batteries were just ordinary sealed lead acid and not even deep cycle or AGM type, and because it was the last one in stock, it probably had not been charged for months or even longer. Although he said, he charged it up the night before he left and the "fully charged" light came on, and he did not pre-cool fridge on 240v beforehand, the battery power quickly dropped to "low" after a few minutes. Could not hold a charge as probably badly sulphated! Bad choice of portable battery power system. Should have been at least a 100ah AGM or more for the job and freshly charged up and tested under load. Having little knowledge of battery systems and failed to get proper advice on compressor fridge power demands, he also did not even have his battery box connected to the alternator of tug as a backup.
3. The solar panel was bought from a large camping store and was rated at 160w and had the standard cheap PWM controller on the back. He was told that it would be able to charge up his portable battery box but once again, he did not get the full story. But it was also on special and at a great price as end of stock, but no instructions even on the back. Worse still, this was his first time out with the panel and the controller was "dead". 18 volts available from panels to controller but zilch output (amps and volts) from controller for battery charging, and LED display not working. (probably because the battery box did not have sufficient voltage whilst connected to fridge to initially start up solar controller. A lot need a reasonable voltage to start up and he had no hope of getting that!) Unable to assist as all my panels have controllers bypassed and all power is fed in series to a central MPPT controller in my van. I was however, able to help him by connecting a lead from my external Anderson plug and by utilising a variety of cables and connectors was able to supply some sort of power to his fridge. Power to his battery box was unsuccessful as too much resistance in flat battery to provide sufficient current to fridge which required 4.55A on start up and 2.8A on run until low voltage on battery cut off fridge. Bad combination of battery and charger.
But in 40C temps in the shade and his tug was in the sun, it was a lost cause as temp in fridge rose to 13C, and early on the 3rd day, he had to throw out a lot of food and departed 3 days before planned.
A bit of a sad story, but wasted a lot of money because he did not seek advice, and was unprepared although he believed he had the right equipment. So if starting off and new to this style of camping, make sure you get good and complete advice of what is needed to make camping off grid successful and enjoyable too. Sometimes, "bargains" are real traps for the unwary and uninformed!
Note: my two absorption fridges running on gas maintained minus 19C in the freezer section throughout the whole time, ice-creams and frozen meats kept hard as a rock. Fridge area struggled through the day after door was opened for breakfast, lunch and dinner reaching 9C at times but pulled down to 5 or 6C by morning. No food or milk spoiled or lost. However, the thermostatically controlled cooling fans behind both fridges and also the internal fans did a fantastic job during this time and undoubtedly helped the cooling process.

Attachments

• 27 Jul 17 (1).JPG
    27 Jul 17 (1).JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 24 Jul 17 (7).JPG
    24 Jul 17 (7).JPG
    977.5 KB · Views: 200
  • P1220047.JPG
    P1220047.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 179
  • P1220045.JPG
    P1220045.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 173

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Boots you've highlighted a much broader issue, your neighbour seems to have had advice or at least asked some questions only the advice was unbeknown to him barely guesswork presented to him by thickheads who should keep their mouths shut.

Poor bloke probably looked longingly over at you setting up all the solar farm and thought he was camped next to the CSIRO or Elon Musk.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
One would think he would have had it all set up for a test run at home before venturing out.....................

Sad to think he had 2 x 24ah batteries, he would have been tickled pink to have this set up only to be devastated, I have seen them and others with a bit more storage advertised to run fridges, CPAP machines etc and they really wouldn't ............................

I have made my old Morningstar into a portable controller with anderson plugs hanging off it, seemed like a good idea at the time as it wouldn't fit mounted on the portable when it was closed up........ sits in cupboard as the back up unit.

I have one small CPU fan inside my fridge, nothing freezes so never bothered to add any more, still hasn't got a switch on it though......

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
One would think he would have had it all set up for a test run at home before venturing out.....................

Sad to think he had 2 x 24ah batteries, he would have been tickled pink to have this set up only to be devastated, I have seen them and others with a bit more storage advertised to run fridges, CPAP machines etc and they really wouldn't ............................

I have made my old Morningstar into a portable controller with anderson plugs hanging off it, seemed like a good idea at the time as it wouldn't fit mounted on the portable when it was closed up........ sits in cupboard as the back up unit.

I have one small CPU fan inside my fridge, nothing freezes so never bothered to add any more, still hasn't got a switch on it though......
Aside from my fixed solar system I've got enough cable in various length bundles to run his fridge from the next suburb, 3 solar blankets and 3 regulators, all onboard ..... a byproduct of my "upgrade never discard, just in case" policy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Aside from my fixed solar system I've got enough cable in various length bundles to run his fridge from the next suburb, 3 solar blankets and 3 regulators, all onboard ..... a byproduct of my "upgrade never discard, just in case" policy

One time I was short the distance needed for the portable as too much shade on roof and no where else, so I removed a plug from my longest lead and jury rigged it to the portable, I could imagine the cries of the Perfect Worlders but it worked, the sun powered my batteries and all was right with the world. I think I can couple up 20mts now.................. The A and N terminal fit just right into an anderson............. :) ...... and my battery clamp/ anderson cable on other end.

Reactions: Disco Duck

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Boots you've highlighted a much broader issue, your neighbour seems to have had advice or at least asked some questions only the advice was unbeknown to him barely guesswork presented to him by thickheads who should keep their mouths shut.

Poor bloke probably looked longingly over at you setting up all the solar farm and thought he was camped next to the CSIRO or Elon Musk.

Yes @Crusty181, other campers have looked at my system and called it a "solar farm" while they put out their single panel or try to lay out their fold away style panels on the ground. I do carry extra cables and an assortment of connectors with Anderson plugs and alligator clips etc, but not too keen on having cabling connections by just clips and insulation tape when connected to my van battery whilst it is being charged. A little pull on poor connections and the smoke and flame demons are set loose and fuses are blown.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
One time I was short the distance needed for the portable as too much shade on roof and no where else, so I removed a plug from my longest lead and jury rigged it to the portable, I could imagine the cries of the Perfect Worlders but it worked, the sun powered my batteries and all was right with the world. I think I can couple up 20mts now.................. The A and N terminal fit just right into an anderson............. :) ...... and my battery clamp/ anderson cable on other end.
(brace yourself @Boots in Action .... look away now, you can never unsee this) Where there's a will there's always a way. (I watched a lot of McGyver)

This was me last Xmas on the way south in a warm free overnight freecamp, over cast and the Engel chewing a little too much from the car (In that period we refer to Before Dual Batteries). The longest lead I had with me was about this short (below). Knowing how things can go pear-shaped, I used a thong fuse to protect the integrity of the circuit ... a well-used thong, tested for the appropriate load rating.

Codial stayed cold, and I didnt blow a thong so Im calling that a success

20200119_083459-resized-1600.jpg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
(brace yourself @Boots in Action .... look away now, you can never unsee this) Where there's a will there's always a way. (I watched a lot of McGyver)

This was me last Xmas on the way south in a warm free overnight freecamp, over cast and the Engel chewing a little too much from the car (In that period we refer to Before Dual Batteries). The longest lead I had with me was about this short (below). Knowing how things can go pear-shaped, I used a thong fuse to protect the integrity of the circuit ... a well-used thong, tested for the appropriate load rating.

Codial stayed cold, and I didnt blow a thong so Im calling that a success

View attachment 66096

Technically not too good with a couple of jumper leads that short insulated from the ground with rubber @Crusty181 , but practically does the job very well....until that is , someone is looking for, or needs some foot wear. Necessity is the Mother of invention as this proves!!!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Technically not too good with a couple of jumper leads that short insulated from the ground with rubber @Crusty181 , but practically does the job very well....until that is , someone is looking for, or needs some foot wear. Necessity is the Mother of invention as this proves!!!
Got that covered Boots, those thongs are specifically for electrical work. The thong is only to keep the red from the black, apparently touching ends badly. The angle is deceptive and the thong fuse is dangling in the air

Reactions: Disco Duck

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks perfectly fine to me and better than some fancy dancy connector, the thong fuse will smell like hell to let you know things are going pear shape.......... What about the QLD Sparky they came off ???????

Last edited: