14' Series Plumbing mains water

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Hi
When I hook up the mains water it only comes through as a trickle and I have to turn on the pump - is this normal or is there a fix?
Thanks
Outback 14.44.5

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
First check that you don't have a stop valve on your hose end connectors they can cause flow issues............................... if the connectors are good then it could be
the mesh filter in the PLV (Pressure limiting Valve) which is located somewhere between your mains hose connection and where the line jons up with the rest of the plumbing .., this is usually a brass/plastic unit which can be dismantled and cleaned out.. It ensures mains pressure doesn't get too high, it can also be a cause of reduced pressure............ Replacement 350 kpa PLVs available from Bunnings etc as its just a standard fitting with adaptors on ends for Guest fittings, so don't throw the whole unit away if you need a replacement.

I have dismantled my PLV, removed the moving parts inside and refitted it in place, it was a constant cause of low pressure at many places, it now gives less restrictive flow, if mains pressure is too high I believe the garden hose fittings will pop off before anything on van blows, I have yet to find anywhere with such pressure though, Canberra has good pressure and if the toilet flush is too much then I turn turn the tap down a bit................... Guest fittings and pipe is rated for 150psi so it would need to be good pressure....

The standard mains fitting by Jayco can incorporate a NRV unit but if this is faulty water will eject from the mains connection when you use the pump, of course mains hose disconnected at the time ........... it is handy to carry a guest inline NRV in the spares box ...

Sometimes bugs can make a home in a tap, so running the tap to clear out visitors before connecting hose means they don't end up in your water lines and block things up, also using a normal hose joiner to connect both ends of hose together when you roll it up means no dirt, bugs or crud gets in and also no water will leak out..............
1690244871400.png
.......... 350kp PLV with guest fitting.