Paul's 16.49 mods, trips and dribble

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Hi all
First let me appoligse for what my be allot of ramble. Also if I post in the wrong section. Most of my time is spent on car forums and the occasional lurk on here. I am starting to get tired of seeing the same people reply to posts just to get their post count up with mindless dribble. ( yeah I'm a hypocrite;) ) so I have been spending a bit more time on here lately.

After looking at so many other people's threads about their van I thought I would start my own. We have a 2009 16.49-HL. I thought it was a -1 but after looking at the plate it's a HL. What ever that means.
One thing I noticed in the 2009 is they did away with the hockey sticks for the bed ends then there back in 2010 onwards?

So we don't get to use our van much due to work and other things we enjoy but when we do take it out we all love it. Would love to upgrade to a bigger model but I struggle
to get it in the back yard now

When we bought the van it had nothing except a roll out awining, the privacy screens for the bed ends, a bike rack that swings out so bikes can stay on it when you open the rear bed (shame on only like things with an engine) and a CD player but we were wrapped after having a tent then an eagle. Liked both but this was so much better.

Thanks to this forum and its members I have added the following. Hopefully one day I will get some pics of them all but I am slack when it comes to that. Just about everything I have purchased or modified are ideas from here so thank you

2 x 105 amp batteries
Anderson plug near step for solar panels or I run a bbq light I made from it. I have several different lenth twin core cables with Anderson plugs on them in a bag
Swing down roof bracket to allow access to closet while roof is down.
Battery monitor
Water tank gauge
12v water pump and filter
Relocate pump switch closer to sink. ( there is a reason I am paranoid about this. Another story)
24" 12v tv/DVD
Supa rv awining tie downs
Slide in Wire baskets in the closet
Led in every standard fitting including the stupid outside one. Put blue ones above our heads so don't wake the kids in the middle of the night. Other end has bright ones. Oh and a blue one at the outside door light just to be anoying.
Addition led under the wall a/c above the sink x 2.
Led under the cupboard next to the stove.
Led strip along the outside of the van.
Very happy with them as i wired them in with standard light switches so it all looks original. Probably the same as everyone else.
Battery operated led sensor lights in closet, fridge, under the sink and next to the door entry. They all work a treat.
(I have a led addiction)
Wireless fridge temp monitor.
Rubber anti slip mat on the step.
Protective moulding on the sides of the step.
Second gas bottle. Not connected. Just full ready to go.
Shade awing over fridge wall.
Shades for long wall and sides.
Tarps galore. Some of you may have seen me at some parks. I normally have grey tarps everywhere like a hobo. Hahaha but just bought an Australia wide annex. Problems to follow
Painted the handbrake handle red (poor eagle) learnt after that.
WDH.
Just wired the tug with Anderson to run the fridge while travelling and also connected the hot wire for the cetek and have it switched as we dont realy go more than 2 hours due to feral kids.
Storage box behind the rear wheel.
Table and tarps under the front lid.
Tarp that goes into sail track on the roof at the front then to the awining pole. It's a hill billy set up but I love it. Works a treat.
Mounted ladder and broom beside fridge.
I am sure there is other bits and pieces but you get the idea.
When I find pics for the above I will post here.

A moveable bar in the rear boot to get annex in easier. Haven't seem that so will post a thread on it as I thought it was a beauty and cost nothing.

Mods/ work this weekend.
Fan for fridge. Using a 70 temp switch to active it and running it through a switch so I can turn it off if needed. Switch has a led which will come on when it's running.
Resealing the roof. All the sealemt had gone off and had a slight leak. Armed with plenty of Stanley knife blades and 4 tubes of sikaflex-11. Or something like that.

Things I am thinking of doing

Led on the awining drum. Have all the bits but may be an overkill?
Possibly mount the 24" tv somewhere.
Maybe move the spare wheel

Things I should do
PUT ANOTHET AXLE INDER IT!

Any way thanks for the ideas and come have a jimmy with me if you see me somewhere.

And sorry if there are mistakes as I dint proof read and also using an iPhone. Corrective text has a mind of its own lol.

Last edited:

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Ladder and extendable broom storage spot. Idea from here
image.jpg
Ladder is this. Best money ever spent
image.jpg

Battery monitor, tank gauge and water pump switch. All where the sink cabinet is. Idea from here
image.jpg

Storage box behind wheel. Poles and fishing gear. Thought this one up but nothing new

image.jpg

Led stop light in side of van. Light up the neighbours yard as well :)
Idea from here
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Tarp attached by sail track on front of the roof. Thought this up but im sure nothing new. Moogerah dam Xmas 2014 rained for 4 Out of the 6 Days we were thereimage.jpg

That's about all the van pics I can find.

This is why I have no money lol
image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Love the Torana Paul!!! I`m pretty sure the HL is just to indicate hardlid and it would be the 16-56-1 or 3 or 4 depending on layout. As I was reading I was thinking you have a led addiction lol, but shes pretty bright under that awning. Nice mods too:encouragement:.

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Annex wall storage
So I couldn't find solutions for storing my annex easily. Tried rolling them like a smoke but I would need 4 1500mm pole carriers for them. Thought of mounting a pod on its side at that back but ergh. Didn't want to leave it in the car. Van has enough stuff to get out when we arrive and dint want this to be another one. I don't p,an on using it much as where we go at Xmas we don't need it. Bought this for Easter trip to cotton tree and hopefully some other trips longer than two nights.
Front boot already taken. Thought of storing them under the rear bed end hard lid rolled up but again ergh.
So,it all pointed to the rear storage section. I was going to add a hatch for easy access but the awning pole is in the way. Looked at the other side. Can be done but this storage area is o only about 200mm high so any hatch opening is going to be to small.
So lifted the door up inside I tried to fit a bag. (Have 5 but should be able to do it in 4)
S like everything around here bag to big. Awkward to fit due to the support bars. You can get them in but it's a struggle and I don't like to over exert myself. Hahah

So me being a little rough sometime said to the minister I will just cut this thing out. Nope. Not approved!
So after looking its only held in with three screws. One in the bottom at each end and one from the top towards the back of the van. So I thought I would remove the front screw and swing it out the way but no. Won't work as this is actually cut to size for a nice change so its hard against the back channel. So I removed it completely then cut one side off in an angle and filed it up. Put it back in and voila. Swings like is I the 60,s! Then just put a stop for it to rest back against. So even with one less screw its still fully supported as it sits inside a channel at both ends.
Not sure if anyone else has done this so I thought I would share. Sorry if already done.

Offending bar
image.jpg

Bag won't fit easily
image.jpg
Bar removed
image.jpg

Trimmed ready to try

image.jpg

Oh happy days
image.jpg image.jpg

Swing the bar back and done
image.jpg

Tools used
Philips screw driver
Hacksaw
File
Can of jim beam
Cost $0.00

Getting the screws back in the hole can be a little difficult but with the piece removed it's not too bad. Only mentioning this because this aluminium is extremely thin and you may add an unwanted hole.

Last edited:

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Love the Torana Paul!!! I`m pretty sure the HL is just to indicate hardlid and it would be the 16-56-1 or 3 or 4 depending on layout. As I was reading I was thinking you have a led addiction lol, but shes pretty bright under that awning. Nice mods too:encouragement:.
Cheers mate. Oh yeah derrr. Hard kid. Hahaha I'm an idiot. Yeah mines a -1 dinner model

Reactions: 17triton

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Just seen the pics posted on my ipad.
No I don't have a rouge bright mould plague. It's from the reflective tape on my work shirts. I discovered this awhile ago. You don't ever see these bright specs until you take a pic at night. You should inside my work car lol. Had me buggered for awhile. ;)

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Fridge fan now done. See how it goes

Wired it with a switch so I can turn it off. Switch also has a small led that shows if it's on as its controlled by a 70deg switch. The pipe has been hit enough yet so I bypassed it to make sure everything worked.
Upgraded some of the led strip lighting so fill my addiction ;)

5 am start tomorrow to beat the heat and dig out the old silicon on the roof >:(

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Only about 4 years.
All new drive line..... Twice!

Insert picture of me bashing my head against the wall here lol

Runs on alcohol now. Good enough for me it's good enough for her hahaha

Last edited:

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Some average shots of the extra lighting
image.jpg
Blue out door light. Keeps us returning to he correct van....... I hope
image.jpg
Extra light under the cupboard and a 3 gang switch for it and the two lights outside
image.jpg
Extra lights under the a/c above the sink. Made a huge difference
image.jpg
Slide out baskets like many others have done. Got the idea from here so thank you all :)

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
image.jpg So. As it turns out I have a bbq addiction as well.
Just picked up a new weber q 1000 from masters. Had a couple of gift cards from suppliers so only cost me 159 ;)

After reading about all the wonderful meals on here I had to see what the rave is all about.

I hope you don't mind but if its no good I will have to hold you all responsible. :p

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
View attachment 30063 So. As it turns out I have a bbq addiction as well.
Just picked up a new weber q 1000 from masters. Had a couple of gift cards from suppliers so only cost me 159 ;)

After reading about all the wonderful meals on here I had to see what the rave is all about.

I hope you don't mind but if its no good I will have to hold you all responsible. :p
Happy cooking :hungry: let us know how you go

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
As it turns out I have a bbq addiction as well.

I hear that. Did a stocktake the other day and I'm up to 4 external gas cooking appliances... The big 6 burner BBQ, small flat plate 2 burner we used to camp with, a small 2 burner stove and the Weber Q220.... I know which has had the most use over the summer... :)

I hope you don't mind but if its no good I will have to hold you all responsible

You'd be the first....

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
I hear that. Did a stocktake the other day and I'm up to 4 external gas cooking appliances... The big 6 burner BBQ, small flat plate 2 burner we used to camp with, a small 2 burner stove and the Weber Q220.... I know which has had the most use over the summer... :)

You'd be the first....

Cool. Just need to train the other half to use it then happy days....

I have sold a couple so only have 3 left now....oh hag on it might be 4?

Last edited:

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
so now for the dribble.
New toy image.jpg

And more to come. No more van mods now. Wifey not impressed ;)