Exterior Oz hitch failure

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Bad form by ozhitch if they already know about the problem and didn't recall the early models now they have they modified the hitch.
I think the insurance company legal departments would have field day with this one.

Whats with all the shackles ?? the chain on the lhs of the tow bar has about six shackles on it.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
When my coupling broke on an old van, I was glad the chains didn't catch it, I knew where is was when it was on the deck, much easier to control then.

Reactions: blacky

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
I saw on OZ Nomads page on old facebook the other day some pics of another hitch failure.. wasn't one of these, but a worry none the less! That would be pretty scary at high speed!

I once dropped a double horse float after letting someone else hitch it up.. (and i didnt check grrrr) i took off.. Got to a dip in the road and bang! Down she went. That was a pain in the arse!

Reactions: Drover

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I once dropped a double horse float after letting someone else hitch it up.. (and i didnt check grrrr) i took off.. Got to a dip in the road and bang! Down she went. That was a pain in the arse!

Ditto - picked up a hire box trailer from kenards, and as I hit the bottom of the freeway on-ramp in peak hour.....
As I found out later, even if they had locked the safety catch on (and/or I checked it myself) the inside of the coupling was so worn, it would've made no difference - it jumped off again on the way back to return it.
Got back to Kenards and they said they'll check it after the next people who were standing there waiting for it brought it back.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I actually was interested in these and as they are in my area thought I might give them a go, I sent an email enquiring what if any ADR approvals he had and never received another email

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think it happens more often than people think, tow bars break away from vehicle, tow balls come adrift, Treg like hitches fail (chinese copies sold as Treg Like) now Ozhitch, not forgetting draw bars cracking up, axles letting go, these things have been happening for years and while they put out ADR's, they are no good without some sort of check system in place to ensure what you buy is the real deal and not some dodgy job.

norm walker

Oct 21, 2013
huonville tasmania
I think it happens more often than people think, tow bars break away from vehicle, tow balls come adrift, Treg like hitches fail (chinese copies sold as Treg Like) now Ozhitch, not forgetting draw bars cracking up, axles letting go, these things have been happening for years and while they put out ADR's, they are no good without some sort of check system in place to ensure what you buy is the real deal and not some dodgy job.
that's true to