18' Series outback suspension

still learnin

Oct 29, 2012
new to this and computers but will give it a go. own a may 2011 18.57-9. i am the second owner. i bought it in january 2012 from original owner. please keep in mind when i pose my question that it did go around aus before i bought it. i have done approx 1000 kms with it since purchasing it. my last trip i noticed that it was handling different and had a wear pattern developing on a couple of tires(still original set from new).on further investigation it turns out that passenger side rear spring had broken the main leaf. decided to replace rear axle springs an put in greasable shackles so pulled down today to order springs. now here is the question, has anybody else gone thru the alko catalogue and found out that a 6mm 6 leaf spring is rather under rated for the loads that can possibly be encountered in this van also that they only have a listing for 9/16 shackle pins but the springs have 5/8 id bushes..as once load is taken off springs all the skackles have flog in them. i originally thought that it was abuse from around aus trip but on inspection of components the spring has flattened out an free camber is quite reduced from original spec and eye bushes have hardly worn but have considerable slop(and the shackle bolts have negligible wear). i may be wrong but have only started researching tonight and hoping someone here has experience already in this to save me some time, i rang my local jayco dealer and he had no suspension specs on my van but could tell me it would be alko. . i believe my van to be the way it left the factory and after looking at quite a few before buying this one i did notice several that had broken a spring(normally a rear spring and normally the passenger side) or had shackle rubbers replaced and just starting to wonder.any information, thoughts , or opinions would be much appreciated.

still learnin

Oct 29, 2012
just an update for anyone interested. if you want peace of mind and reliability out of your expanda outback(and would expect most jayco's with alko load sharing rocker suspension)then do yourself a favour and replace existing pivot pins with a greasable pin. if you have a van that is a couple of years old then replace spring packs as they are a much inferior to new ones you buy today. (have pics of old compared to current an part numbers if anybody interested and yes are alko with identical part numbers but obviously have come out of different factories in china) easier to do in your own backyard than attempting to do in the middle of no where especially when you find out all the shackle pins are welded in from factory.hope this is helpful to someone.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hi Still Learnin,

I would love to see some pics if you could post them.

Did you bother re welding in the new pins or do you think they are ok without welding?
If you don't mind what is the cost of new pins?

Cheers,
Andrew

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi still learnin, welcome to the forum! Nice pickup mate thanks for sharing. I'll check ours out.....2mm clearance is too much.

Cheers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi still learnin. Welcome to the forum.
You may want to do a bit of hunting in old posts to see if you come up with anything. I recall someone discussing issues with suspension.
For some reason stray dingo comes to mind that may have done something with suspension. But not sure.

still learnin

Oct 29, 2012
andrew will have to get my daughter to get pics on which may take a few days. welded the pins into the shackle plates and the centre rocker arm pivot pin as well. but the fixed pin on the end of each spring i cut a 1 inch piece of quarter inch square key steel and welded to mounting bracket on a flat side of the bolt head. this way stops from spinning and if worst happens can fix reasonably quick on the side of the road. bolted a spare spring underneath so always have a spare on board but doesnt clutter up storage space in van or car. alko part number is 590632 for greaseable shackle pin. alko part number for springs, shackle plates and greaseable pins is 546206(also comes with chassis mounting plates but apparently this is the way alko.do it) i bought the full set which i paid 495.hope this helps,regards bill

still learnin

Oct 29, 2012
thanks burnsy, you will have to jack the van and un load the suspension to get a true indication of wear if any is present. and thanks as well brad slowly going thru older posts .