16' Series Our Maiden Voyage to Myrtle Park - Tasmania

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
We have finally been able to find the time to venture out for our first night in the new van. Everything went according to plan, except for the weather. We left Launceston Saturday morning in beautiful sunshine, heading east to Myrtle Park, arriving in the rain. It didn't ease up until we came home Sunday morning.

The diesel heater ran really well and kept the van nice and warm, and the kids slept well together so that was a relief - running around in the rain all Saturday helped with that I'm sure.

Bring on the school holidays for more time away.

Marco
20140823_MyrtlePark (11).JPG 20140823_MyrtlePark (9).JPG 20140823_MyrtlePark (10).JPG

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Thats exactly what we need DRW, especially this time of year.
It's ok once the warmer weather hits....

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Like @DRW (another Queenslander), we were down your way early this year and was rapt in the places to stay and visit. I'm sure the weather will improve @mccrlc. Just get out and enjoy that great looking van.

Reactions: DRW

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
You had Privacy Screens but BEFs?
Did you stay dry inside?

@Marv_mart
We stayed dry, we had a bit of moisture inside the bed ends but expected this as it was quite cold & we had the heater running non stop.
We had more moisture under the mattress, it didn't take much for that to dry out when we arrived home though.
The canvas bed ends got wet but nothing to worry about I didn't think, bedding was dry and SWMBO was warm.

Privacy Screens same as BEF's??

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
@Marv_mart
We stayed dry, we had a bit of moisture inside the bed ends but expected this as it was quite cold & we had the heater running non stop.
We had more moisture under the mattress, it didn't take much for that to dry out when we arrived home though.
The canvas bed ends got wet but nothing to worry about I didn't think, bedding was dry and SWMBO was warm.

Privacy Screens same as BEF's??
Definitely not. PSs are mesh and if the rain comes in at an angle will wet the canvas above the water proof strip and if touched, will seep in and wet blankets, etc
May be the cause of moisture under your mattress by the way.
Bend End Flys are hung outside of the Bed Ends and are completely water proof.
Maybe should look at this thread
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/new-jayco-bed-end-covers.5313/page-18#post-88727
If you have not seen it before.
Many on this forum are going throu the process of installing BEFs
Marv

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Thanks Marv I have seen the new BEF's, they look the goods just hoping not to have to worry at the minute.
We have a good canvas place in Launceston I might see if they could make a couple for me, depending on the price of course otherwise I might need to look into other types from the Mainland.
Cheers

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks Marv I have seen the new BEF's, they look the goods just hoping not to have to worry at the minute.
We have a good canvas place in Launceston I might see if they could make a couple for me, depending on the price of course otherwise I might need to look into other types from the Mainland.
Cheers
We had only PSs on our recent big loop, rained very heavily in Pt Macquarie, canvas just above water proof strip got wet, blankets touched this and got wet, water also got in and our mattress got wet underneath. Did dry quickly with the help of a hair drier. We ended up buying BEFs from Holiday Annexes. They supplied everything predrilled and precut.
All I needed to supply was pop rivet gun, 1/8 bit and drill and silicone and about 1 hour.
Can supply full instructions if you want, have already passed them on to several others.
With Tassie wet weather, will find you really need them. Wet bedclothes are very annoying and will spoil hols

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Can you please forward the instructions I will check them out.
Can I ask how much you paid??
Will send them DM. We have 14.44-5 OB so only one bed end. Instructions exactly same for Jayco BEFs which you can probably get cheaper than Holiday Annexe's but don't come pre-drilled and cut.
See other thread for comments, pics and prices that various people were able to get. Varies a bit it seems depending on what you can negotiate with your dealer, need to bargain hard using prices others were able to get.

Reactions: dagree

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks @chartrock we are counting the days to have a few weeks off and get them Expanda Experiences happening..
You are right the weather will/is improving.
Have two,brothers who live in Launceston with their families. They love going camping but don't own vans, still doing the tenting thing. Have also been to Tas many times and thoroughly enjoyed it, definitely will be back but not sure if we can afford taking the Panda across, not cheap?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Marshmallows where cooked on the cosy fire @Delano, the young bloke loved them.
You should try Chocolate Bananas!!! Too die for.
Recipe: hot coals, slit the banana skin along the length of the inside curve, push in choc cubes, place on the coals.
When choc has partially melted, remove with tongs and eat out with teaspoon! Yum, Yum