17' Series Our Long-Awaited 17.56.2!

Byl

Aug 5, 2014
Perth Hills, WA
Hi Everyone!
My husband and I picked up our new 17.56.2 last month. Yes, I know... we have had it a while now!

We previously owned a Howling Moon rooftop tent, and thought it was time to upgrade (kids were getting too big for us all to fit up there!).

We've already done a few mods on it, and I'm sure there will be plenty more to come. We included a few additions when we purchased it....
• Extra battery
• Anderson plug for solar
• External shower
• Water filter
• Built in bunks with block-out curtains

We also had a few 12V points added for charging our i-stuff.

We took it for a test run down to the farm a few weekends ago. It was soooo much easier than a rooftop!! And the best thing about it, was we took the car out for a drive to check out other areas - a 'no-can-do' with a rooftop setup.

After we purchased the Expanda, we bought the Landcruiser - we had done a lot of research with our tow vehicle (a lot of it on this forum actually). We had a Prado 150 petrol, so felt the need to upgrade so we wouldn't get caught out with the whole GVM issue thingy.

We upgraded and registered the 'new' Cruiser with the GVM upgrade, so now the kids (and me) struggle to get into the car (SIDE STEPS PLEASE!) Yes, they are on their way - oh, install is tomorrow! It's a bit tricky getting in when the floor is at my thigh! (yep, I'm a shorty!). Little Zac (6) takes a run-up and 'jumps' in...

Anyway, we are very excited and can't wait to get away soon for our next trip.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the friendly forum @Byl. Glad you have been able to make use of the info available here and we look forward to your input. Congratulations on the new van and tug. :drum:

Reactions: Byl

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Byl from another "Sandgroper" ;)
Might I add that you have selected an excellent model Expanda (Looking for a biased emoticon)
Definitely a lot of help and info from all on here as we have also found out.
Now time for some pics :photo:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @Byl
I am assuming it is a new 200 series that you were able to upgrade the GVM with?

also, the steps....... ARB???
you should have said, I have a mate who builds them..... not to worry
he does rear bars for wheel carriers and the like as well........

Byl

Aug 5, 2014
Perth Hills, WA
Hi and welcome. How do you get a GVM upgrade??
We organised it through a company here in Perth. Cost about 2K to get done from memory, maybe a little less. We then had to take it over the pits to get registered with the modification plate. So we get a new GVM of 3800kg.

Byl

Aug 5, 2014
Perth Hills, WA
welcome @Byl
I am assuming it is a new 200 series that you were able to upgrade the GVM with?

also, the steps....... ARB???
you should have said, I have a mate who builds them..... not to worry
he does rear bars for wheel carriers and the like as well........

It's newish... 2012 LC200. We managed to pick up a GX (a Sahara would have been nice too, but I specifically wanted the vinyl flooring - with kids and all!). And the price was right!

ARB steps - no. What a hassle THAT was! ;)
We originally ordered and paid in full for some XROX sliders with the step plate added (for the kids again). But found out a week later that once you add that step, the bars are no longer ADR Compliant with the side curtain airbags - two different retailers are selling this as compliant we've since found out.
So, we had to cancel the order and look for some others. We wanted the ARB, but no one could get them in for us. WA only had the bars, and not the end caps (didn't want the brush bars).
So... we have just gone with some Kingsley Side boards. We can at least get into the car and walk along it to access the roof rack.

I guess with the GVM upgrade, we hopefully won't be sliding over any rocks anyway right??

Reactions: Smirke

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
Congrats and :welcome>:(Byl from another of the WA gang!!

Look forward to all the pics.....

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
It's newish... 2012 LC200. We managed to pick up a GX (a Sahara would have been nice too, but I specifically wanted the vinyl flooring - with kids and all!). And the price was right!

ARB steps - no. What a hassle THAT was! ;)
We originally ordered and paid in full for some XROX sliders with the step plate added (for the kids again). But found out a week later that once you add that step, the bars are no longer ADR Compliant with the side curtain airbags - two different retailers are selling this as compliant we've since found out.
So, we had to cancel the order and look for some others. We wanted the ARB, but no one could get them in for us. WA only had the bars, and not the end caps (didn't want the brush bars).
So... we have just gone with some Kingsley Side boards. We can at least get into the car and walk along it to access the roof rack.

I guess with the GVM upgrade, we hopefully won't be sliding over any rocks anyway right??

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm
maybe one day when you have time, I will introduce you to XLR8 Fabrications..........

and I've not heard good reports about Xrox or Raslar (?) in QLD either

Byl

Aug 5, 2014
Perth Hills, WA
Maybe it was a good thing the xrox didn't work out then? Although this xrox is the WA mob based out in Jandakot - I'm not sure that they are the same as QLD(?).
So.... who is XLR8 Fabrications? We're still working out exactly what else we need (want) for the Cruiser. So many options!!

Byl

Aug 5, 2014
Perth Hills, WA
Thanks for all the 'welcomes' everyone.
So I managed to get some photos and here they are...

We haven't come up with a brilliant name yet, so, it's just 'the van' at the moment. Popped up and ready to pack! (although, yes, I can stand full height with the top down). Hubby, meh...not so much.
We got our sparky to wire in a 15amp socket in the shed (I think that's right?) so we can plug straight in when not on use.
The cruiser JUST fits beside it, I have about 20mm on the pole side, between tug mirrors (clear view ones) and van - haven't hit it once! Not bad for a girlie-girl!
image2.jpeg

And inside... we got the fixed bunks, so we wanted to full curtain to wrap around next to the fridge. We weren't sure if we were going to get it (Jayco was little vague with their agreement for some of our mods - but they came good in the end!) :)

image1.jpeg

Our first trip was to a farming property down nearish to Manjimup. Great private spot! With plenty of (BIG) marron in the dam!! Shhhh...
The kiddie-winks especially enjoyed clearing the fire pit of all the bracken.
image12.jpeg

Oh yes, we camped (can we call it that?) with some very good friends of ours who also happen to have a 20' Starcraft.
image8.jpeg

And back on the road again....
image15.jpeg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Looks like a nice spot for a shakedown trip..... No issues with the van @Byl ?

Definitely a lot roomier and comfotable than a Howling Moon rooftop tent :)

Byl

Aug 5, 2014
Perth Hills, WA
Looks like a nice spot for a shakedown trip..... No issues with the van @Byl ?

Definitely a lot roomier and comfotable than a Howling Moon rooftop tent :)

Right on @dagree ! It is a LOT roomier than the rooftop. Although, hubby used a neat little trick where he would park the car on a slight(?) angle, so in the morning, I would be bunched up one side with the kids (maybe 'bunched' is too frail a word - JAMMED!! yes, that's better), and he would have a good half of the tent all to himself! Took me couple of nights to work THAT one out!

No issues with the van at all! We were only going to stay the one night (just in case), but managed to stay two. I still haven't used the kitchen part of it yet - I do most of the cooking outside. But everything else is sweet!! The bunk beds are great... we can put the kids to bed and leave them and not worry that they'll fall from the top of the roof of the car.

Leaves more time for marronning and stoking a campfire with a glass of ...... [insert favourite beverage]