Exterior Noisy WDH, normal or not?

Steve1307

Jun 23, 2015
Sydney
Hi All,

Took the van away to Toowoon bay and after coming off the freeway at the first turn the WDH started to make a grinding noise, this carried on all the way down Wyong rd which has approx 15 roundabouts on it. I was not expecting it and the car was full of kids and lets just say I was half expecting something to snap, being a newbie it isn't something I have experienced before. There was no way I was driving through the van park with it so I took it off at the entrance and all was good.

On the way home I adjusted the load and still had the same issues.

Its a Hayman Reece set up and is the correct spec for tow ball weight and van etc. I understand that metal on metal will grind and make noise but why has it just started and not from the first time it was used. The chains are vertical when tensioned and all bolts are right.

So is this normal and should I just get on with things or should I be doing some maintenance to it with some kind of lube/oil/grease etc etc.

What does everyone else do?

The Jeep is so smooth and quiet ;), a noisy creaking WDH is particularly noticeable.

Bees Wax will do the trick.

Melt a bit into the holes in the plates on the hitch and also on the corresponding "stubby knobs" on the 2 spring bars and you're good to go.

I've applied it once and it lasted for months and didn't collect cr@p like grease does.
A solid bees wax block doesn't go soft on you in the heat. Mine's still hard and i've just popped it in the front boot of the van after i first used it.

This is the type used. : https://www.bunnings.com.au/disney-100g-solid-beeswax-block_p4460618

Reactions: Drover

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
The Jeep is so smooth and quiet ;), a noisy creaking WDH is particularly noticeable.

Bees Wax will do the trick.

Melt a bit into the holes in the plates on the hitch and also on the corresponding "stubby knobs" on the 2 spring bars and you're good to go.

I've applied it once and it lasted for months and didn't collect cr@p like grease does.
A solid bees wax block doesn't go soft on you in the heat. Mine's still hard and i've just popped it in the front boot of the van after i first used it.

This is the type used. : https://www.bunnings.com.au/disney-100g-solid-beeswax-block_p4460618

Good stuff thanks. I'm popping to Bunnings anyway so will pick some up.

I'm driving to Queensland over Xmas and won't enjoy the drive unless I do something about it.

I literally had no noise at all until the last trip other the when on tight turns, should I still expect some grinding noise to happen?

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
can you give me an idea of how much you used and what points you waxed

Hey,

Just held a lighter to the corner of the block and let a few drops fall down on to where you slide the trunnion bar up in to the holes on the hitch receiver. I done this while it was fitted and just moved the bars around a few times to spread the wax. I also just rubbed the block in and around where there is metal on metal as back up. All worked well. I would say no more than 2cm by 2 cm was used.

Reactions: Drover