Exterior Noisy WDH, normal or not?

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hi All,

Took the van away to Toowoon bay and after coming off the freeway at the first turn the WDH started to make a grinding noise, this carried on all the way down Wyong rd which has approx 15 roundabouts on it. I was not expecting it and the car was full of kids and lets just say I was half expecting something to snap, being a newbie it isn't something I have experienced before. There was no way I was driving through the van park with it so I took it off at the entrance and all was good.

On the way home I adjusted the load and still had the same issues.

Its a Hayman Reece set up and is the correct spec for tow ball weight and van etc. I understand that metal on metal will grind and make noise but why has it just started and not from the first time it was used. The chains are vertical when tensioned and all bolts are right.

So is this normal and should I just get on with things or should I be doing some maintenance to it with some kind of lube/oil/grease etc etc.

What does everyone else do?

MickL

Feb 28, 2016
SA
Mine does the same and I was told by someone in the caravan game that with the HR WDH if they aren't squeeking and making a bit of noise then they are not tensioned enough so sounds pretty normal.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Some dry lube stick (or candle wax) on the load points of the trunions, as well as on the points where the chains connect, will make it virtually silent. It will also help reduce metal to metal wear.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Some dry lube stick (or candle wax) on the load points of the trunions, as well as on the points where the chains connect, will make it virtually silent. It will also help reduce metal to metal wear.

If my wife knew I was talking about dry lube sticks and candle wax she would wonder what kind of site I was visiting @Doc , love it.:ranger:

I have never had to use a dry lube stick, it sounds better than silicone or grease when it comes to collecting dirt and grit along the way.

How often does it need to be done?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I use silicone spray on mine and the towball, usually keeps it pretty quiet, I make sure it's clean and give it a spray every time I hitch up

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Silicone spray for me too. As soon as the new paint wears off they start moaning and groaning, nothing to be concerned about, I reckon the suspension makes more noise, windows up and music on you won't hear a thing.
BTW, not counting down (much) but only 2weeks, 6 days, 9 hours and 50 something minutes till I leave on the drive to pull into Toowoon Bay park for a great 2 week getaway........again!

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Silicone spray for me too. As soon as the new paint wears off they start moaning and groaning, nothing to be concerned about, I reckon the suspension makes more noise, windows up and music on you won't hear a thing.
BTW, not counting down (much) but only 2weeks, 6 days, 9 hours and 50 something minutes till I leave on the drive to pull into Toowoon Bay park for a great 2 week getaway........again!

That's two for silicone so far.

That was our first visit and we loved it, I left a review in another thread this afternoon.

I was on site 270 over the back, make sure you check out the sites right near the beach access that side of the park, would be awesome to be there? What a view in the morning.

Have fun and leave a review about the place for others. It's in the caravan park review section.

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Agree with all others above and it is normal for the HR units to moan and groan (Just like me getting up in the mornings!)
On ours I used the lube stick option and it worked a treat and easy to wipe off after use if need be.

Do you spray the chain also?
Used the lube on the hooks where the chains fitted.... Not sure if they moaned and groaned before but did them "Just in case"

Reactions: KECL

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
The noise is all quite normal.

I use a bit of grease on the metal to metal points. And then clean it up every couple of trips. It tends to last longer than the quick WD40 spray I used to give it.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Wonderful stuff....but it does melt in a hot toolbox...but easy to scrape off.

Have travelled with it for years since it was recommended years ago and it's amazing how often I turn to it.

It sits alongside the duct tape, the silicone tape, the WD40, the silicone spray and the superglue or araldite.

I'm not very handy but that list gets me out of trouble, most of the time. I do carry other stuff but that lot are my 'go to' ones.

Nice to know installers agree with forum recommendations....gives a nice glow.

:p

Reactions: Delano and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's also good on zips, just don't leave it in the pocket of your black motorbike jacket on a hot day, you end up with a super waterproof pocket..........

Reactions: Delano and dagree