17' Series No full Annex allowed???

Heath Denman

Apr 13, 2013
Brisbane
Hi guys I had a friend looking at a jayco expanda at the Brisbane show on the weekend and he was told they could not supply a annexe at this time due to what you have mentioned above. He said it was something to do with the new coming together of the caravan regulators.

Reactions: Hoffy

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Hello everyone! Firstly what a great forum, I have learnt so much already about the wonderful expanda!!
We are about to order a brand spankin new 17.56.2 OB and found out that we cannot order a full annex due to the ventilation issue with the fridge??? I just want to know peoples thoughts on this as it is a biggie for us as we like to set up for 3 weeks plus and like a full annex. Jayco tell me they are trying to come to a resolution but how long will that take?
Thanks for all the useful tips so far!!

G'day @Hoffy welcome! We picked up our 17.56.1 with a TEBBS annexe just before Easter. Our annexe has a number of vents in the skirt etc and came with various stickers and labels telling us that they were all required! We also shopped around and every dealer offered several enclosed annexe options. If I had been told that a "family size" van was unable to be fitted with an annexe, I would be very skeptical. Is it really possible that a very popular floor plan equipped with the most popular fridge from a major manufacturer can't have a standard accessory???? Seems strange that this hasn't popped up on this forum. Was this Jayco or the dealer?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I wonder if they will all come into line with Hitch Height differences, some of the big $$$$ offroad vans are nearly waist height :)
There is a height regulation for that which Jayco complies with...........yes its a bug bear of mine but anyway :focus:

Reactions: chartrock

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Hoffy
Recently had an Australiawide annex fitted to our 2014 17.56.2OB... No mention was made about not being allowed?
Will be watching this thread to find out more.

Reactions: Hoffy

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
G'day @Hoffy welcome! We picked up our 17.56.1 with a TEBBS annexe just before Easter. Our annexe has a number of vents in the skirt etc and came with various stickers and labels telling us that they were all required! We also shopped around and every dealer offered several enclosed annexe options. If I had been told that a "family size" van was unable to be fitted with an annexe, I would be very skeptical. Is it really possible that a very popular floor plan equipped with the most popular fridge from a major manufacturer can't have a standard accessory???? Seems strange that this hasn't popped up on this forum. Was this Jayco or the dealer?
Hi Dandy!!
We were told this by Jayco, Kakadu And today I called a dealer who we bought our last jayco through and was told the same. Due to their "duty of care" at this time they can only sell us the end walls and a privacy screen??????
I'm not sure how it would go if I was to call Kakadu and just ask for a full annex for that size van????
Kakadu did mention that they are working on permanently having more vents in the skirt and also the long wall to compromise with these people???
Hope it gets sorted or there is a way around it!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome @Hoffy, what a shame your faced with this, especially with maybe your first van purchase. I hope the industry gets something sorted soon so you can get your annexe made.
@macca your right about the 186L fridge/freezer, there is a flue on the roof but there is still a small one on the annexe side and yes we ordered a annexe from Jayco with the van.....no problem.
What about this for another scenario, you have your full annexe on, fridge on gas and the 2 bunk windows on the side of my van are open into the annexe ?
Anyway, to be honest I rarely have 3 walls closed, even with long stays I still like to be open as possible!
Cheers.

Last edited:

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
When I picked up my Expanda last week, the handover guy said they had put the skylights in the 2014 models because of 'gas regulations'

Melon2155

GENXYCAMPERS

Jun 11, 2014
Sooooo disappointed about this. Our sales rep has not even consulted with us about this issue. We stumbled upon this information at the show on the weekend. Its a 20k fine for any company who sells a full annex from the 7th May. I'm not sure we would have invested in this van had we have known. I'm about to ring our rep to demand why we were not told about this before signing!

Reactions: rcf and Hoffy

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I did a bit of industry research on this (Victorian Specific, not sure about other States). They (Governing Bodies on Gas & Plumbing) are deeming the gas fridge flue terminal the same as a flue terminal of any other gas appliance such as an outside hot water. In simple terms it must have free ventilation from 2 opposing sides. EG: No end walls on annexe would be legal. They seem to not be taking into account the fact it does not use much gas. Rules are rules sort of thing. I asked the question about my van and I wanted to get an annexe and my fridge flue terminal is on the annexe side. Answer was ,"no side walls". I then said what if I had the flue extended thru the roof and the answer was "not a problem, full annexe would be OK". I still think common sense will prevail but in the mean time everyone should maybe ask before buying their van or annexe and do their own research
I am in the process of buying an annexe so at this stage I think I will just investigate running the flue thru the roof. I have the common 150L with a microwave above it so not sure yet how feasible it is yet. We have a full van so it should be do able, don't know what you would do with a pop top. I will keep you posted with my annexe purchase.
I would presume anything existing would be OK (my opinion) they normally have those Grandfather clauses. No different than seat belts are compulsory in cars now but I can legally drive my 1962 Holden without seat belts because it was never fitted with seat belts. Does feel funny though.
Edit. Had a quick look at my van, does not look like too much trouble to run flue thru roof top. Heaps of space. I will investigate what I need from Dometic.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
I did a bit of industry research on this (Victorian Specific, not sure about other States). They (Governing Bodies on Gas & Plumbing) are deeming the gas fridge flue terminal the same as a flue terminal of any other gas appliance such as an outside hot water. In simple terms it must have free ventilation from 2 opposing sides. EG: No end walls on annexe would be legal. They seem to not be taking into account the fact it does not use much gas. Rules are rules sort of thing. I asked the question about my van and I wanted to get an annexe and my fridge flue terminal is on the annexe side. Answer was ,"no side walls". I then said what if I had the flue extended thru the roof and the answer was "not a problem, full annexe would be OK". I still think common sense will prevail but in the mean time everyone should maybe ask before buying their van or annexe and do their own research
I am in the process of buying an annexe so at this stage I think I will just investigate running the flue thru the roof. I have the common 150L with a microwave above it so not sure yet how feasible it is yet. We have a full van so it should be do able, don't know what you would do with a pop top. I will keep you posted with my annexe purchase.
I would presume anything existing would be OK (my opinion) they normally have those Grandfather clauses. No different than seat belts are compulsory in cars now but I can legally drive my 1962 Holden without seat belts because it was never fitted with seat belts. Does feel funny though.
Like I said earlier, oxygen thieves, 'nough said.