No Caravan yet..but soon!

thesmiths

Aug 23, 2011
Hi Everyone!

We are a family of 4 (hubby, me, 4 year old and 3 year old) and we are in the process of selling our property, moving to my BIL's rental property and purchasing a 17.56-2OB. We saw them in Adelaide over the weekend, and it sealed the deal with us to sell up and buy one! We are hoping to head off for 9 months next year (minimum) and travel as much as we can with our kids - they LOVE caravanning (currently have a 1967 Franklin Regent).

Just a couple of questions - we've been doing a lot of research about the Expandas and have come across a few horror stories. If we are going to pay $40k+ for a van we'd like to make sure everything works and we won't have ongoing issues. When we looked at the one in Adelaide we noticed that some of the finishings weren't brilliant (but can overlook that), but hearing people having problems with water leaks, gas...we are a little concerned. How has everyone else found theirs? we've noticed quite a few second hands one for sale (2011 model).Is that a bad sign.

Secondly, we have a 1990 NG Pajero (the old girl!). Will she have any problems pulling this?

Lastly, we run our own business (which will come with us). I remember reading a while back that you can purchase dishes that have both internet and tv. Does anyone have one of these?

We are all so excited about heading off on our trip. Hubby and I went on a working holiday through the top of SA, NT and WA for 2 years before we had kids (and in our little Franklin Regent). Best thing we have ever done!

Thanks Everyone!

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
G'Day Smiths, welcome to the forum guys.

We have gone through the same dilemma as yourselves regarding the build quality and issues with the Jayco. We researched for months and came to the conclusion most vans will have their problems to an extent, but Jayco seems to be the only ones that will back you up and resolve these issues plus more with their outstanding warranty and after sales support. Their after sales support is second to none.

It's not an easy thing deciding to spend $40k+ and have problems with your van. We have nevertheless ordered a new 18.57-8 and can't wait for delivery.

I can't comment on sat dishes to provide TV and the net, but we will use Telstra next G network when travelling.

I'm not sure on the Pajero performing , but if you have issues you just upgrade to a Patrol :)......

Anyway, welcome again and hope you enjoy your new toy when it arrives

Cheers

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Hi,
We r only new to caravans ourselfs and the expanda was our first purchase. We have had it for 4 weeks and used it once. The only issue we realy had were only small, like a few scratchers on the drawers, etc. Luckly no mayjor issues. These will be fixed on first service. The other day we noticed our stickers have been put on poorly and jayco are going to replace them all. I have heard jayco have a realy good warranty service, fingers crossed we will not need it. Over all I think they are great value for money.

I have noticed a few 2011 caravans for sale as well and most are asking more then what you will pay from the dealer. Makes me think are these people in it for the money as they know they can sell cause some people do not want to wait 4 months from the dealer.

Good luck

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Jayco seems to be the only ones that will back you up and resolve these issues plus more with their outstanding warranty and after sales support. Their after sales support is second to none.
Welcome,
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* on what NissPat has said the warranty back up is great.

The key is to make sure you can get as much use out of it in the first 12 months which it sounds like you have that covered :thumb:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Welcome.
If you still have the owners manual I would check the specs for your car whether or not it can legally tow the van. I guess it will also depend on whether it is the 2.8TD or the 3.0V6 petrol too.
My 17.56-2 has a tare of 2350kg, so you need to make sure that the Paj is rated to tow this, at a minimum.

Cheers,
Matty

thesmiths

Aug 23, 2011
Thanks for all your replies guys!

We see the Expanda Outback got a good write up in Caravan World Last month!

Have many people taken them "off-road" ie. along corrugates etc? How did they stand up?

I realise that there would be some places where event the more heavy duty vans would fear to tread, but I don't want to have a van that holds us back from seeing some remote parts of Australia. Careful driving and pure common sense does come into play I know!

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hey there our family and friends ..we call ourselves the F.A.R.T.s family ,adventure,road,trip just came back from a loop trip from adelaide up through NSW outback QLD sticking mainly to the dirt hungerford thargominda longreach winton,boulia,birdsville,cordillo downs,innaminka,down the sztrez and home.
the only casualties we had were the rivets that held the shower door on sheared off the top hinge,dust entering a few places,rocks found their way to the elec brake wiring on one side apart from that we do not hessitate to take our van anywhere

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks for all your replies guys!

We see the Expanda Outback got a good write up in Caravan World Last month!

Have many people taken them "off-road" ie. along corrugates etc? How did they stand up?

I realise that there would be some places where event the more heavy duty vans would fear to tread, but I don't want to have a van that holds us back from seeing some remote parts of Australia. Careful driving and pure common sense does come into play I know!

The best thing to remember when towing off the beaten track is to adjust your driving to suit the conditions. Lowering the vans tyres pressures and a bit of pretrip preparation will go a long way to having a successful trip. The way I look at it is when you get home you should be able to turn around and do it all again.

Yes there is the unknown things that can happen to the van on a trip that is out of your control. We towed our Expanda up the Oodnadatta track and through the Painted Desert a couple of months ago and had no major failings. We did break a couple of water fittings under the Expanda from rocks but a few more stone guards under the Expanda will overcome this happening again. There was nothing that happened or got damaged inside except a bit of dust but you will never stop that totally.

Here is a link to our trip
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/sh...Drivers-OUTBACK-EXPANDA-mods-and-trips./page5