Electrical New rules for the installation of Lithium batteries in vans

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Very much doubt anyone will check... Also came across something about RCD's to be fitted to Inverter Output as well, could be interesting and it does seem like the battery box carried in the back of vehicles may be a thing of the past.... The inspectors will be run off their feet checking compliance.......:D
I guess it will all boil down to the risk factor one is prepared to take. The only real worry would be the investigation of the insurance assessor and how he/she might see how any non-compliance issue (might have) had something to do with the claim. As @Hitting the road said in an earlier post, insurance companies always look at any reason to deny a claim.

Reactions: Hitting the road

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Very much doubt anyone will check... Also came across something about RCD's to be fitted to Inverter Output as well, could be interesting and it does seem like the battery box carried in the back of vehicles may be a thing of the past.... The inspectors will be run off their feet checking compliance.......:D

Interesting point Drover... wonder how they would check that for compliance? I have a Lithium batter in the battery box in the back of my tug, replaced the AGM at the same time as the van batteries, so has been there since Feb / March, prior to this new Legislation.

Maybe they won't concern themselves with vehicles that are a daily driver and not a camping set up, as should the battery some how emit "fumes" the continual ventilation in the car would ensure any fumes are continuously removed...

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
From what I can tell a lithium battery will only vent under extreme conditions like a fire. The vent is a one-time gasket that perforates and stops the battery exploding. I doubt the vented gas will be a health issue if the caravan is on fire as I definitely plan to evacuate asap...

Possibly a failed BMS and an overcharging event may be the main concern for gasses?

I do wonder if it should be required to have a warning sticker on the number plate where a lithium is fitted, to warn first responders though

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
By my research the lithium battery is usually the cause of the fire...... If its a Lithium Ion house type battery nothing would be left to assess...

I'm looking forward to a caravan show next year to see how they do it all, I wonder if they will still have multiple connections hanging off the battery and how well they comply, as its not just about a battery box ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action