Jan 24, 2012
adelaide
hello to all,picked up our new ob expanda just b4 xmas. self employed so cant go far at moment had 4 days @ kingston pk and 3 days @ west beach right on beachfront was fantastic. tow vechile has been in family 4 10yrs but have a rediculous situation with 150 ball weight 300tdi,can tow up to 3500kg tho ..work that out? has anyone had same prob?

Jan 24, 2012
adelaide
thanks,yep would love a 100 series td but a good one will pull 45000 with low ks ,been looking @ 2005 jeep which have 3.0 td mercedes engine and has heaps of kw 6cyld. wifes going to loose her new mazda2 26000km on clock just need to save a few pennies first.like to hear if anybodys got good or bad things to say about the jeep,i no toyotas are better ive got a new td hiace for work but i can get a jeep cheaper and with a decent engine i can fix the small bits myself,thanks

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Welcome to the group Andrew & Jodie.
We were at Kingston between xmas and New Years, albeit for only 1 night, but quite pleasant there.
Ball weights are a pain. You didn't say what vehicle, but some of the European one are like that. Generally we have an allowance of 10% of the pull weight, but European models are only 5-8%. However, some like the older Land Rover are noted a 150kg, but at full vehicle GVM, and then I believe the handbook says upto 250kg as the load in the vehicle reduces. (except Disco 1 and some RR's)
How far over are you?
Andrew

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome and good luck with your car hunting. No experience with jeeps personally....but the dual cab ute market is full of great deals at the moment as new model are constantly coming out. Just a thought.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, folks. If you are going for a jeep, definitely go for a diesel. I have a mate with a petrol jeep and he can go around 250-300km between refills because of the small tank and the beast's thirst pulling his van.

Jan 24, 2012
adelaide
got my first diesel about 15yrs ago wouldnt own anything else,ive found if you change the oil every 5000km and keep the air cleaner in good nic you should get double the life compared to a petrol engine.Thats my 2 cents worth ,with my landrover it dosent seem to alter the cost of fuel if im towing or not.going 2 also look for a 100series with a few ks providing its been looked after by previous owner ive heard of these engines with 500000km is common. thanks