New Member, Hi

RussLee29

Aug 15, 2011
Melbourne
Hi,

New member to the forum. We have a Jayco Expanda 16.49.1 on order, expected delivery in November. We are trading up from a 2001 Jayco Hawk, looking for a bit less set up time which will make short stays more enjoyable.

The option we ordered are:

Roll out awning
Heron A/C
Wind up antenna
Battery
CD/DVD player
Fold out picnic table
Privacy screens
Ext antenna point
Mud flaps
2 x Gas Bayonet (front & Rear)

Currently considering whether to up grade to 150L fridge. My thoughts are that this is a worthwhile option, although the wife (Leanne) has reservations with lost bench space and thinks that we could just use the esky as we have done in the past with the Hawk.

What do other members feel about the 150L fridge option?
Is it a worthwhile option?

Would be really keen to hear your feedback.

Thanks
Russell & Leanne

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Hi and welcome.

We are also "expecting" in November, so ours might be in the factory together.

We have gone for the 150 ltr fridge in a 17.56-2. If you put it in the 16.49-1, do they put the larger fridge in where the robe goes and put smaller cupbords alongside the fridge? If so I imagine they would put cupboards in where the existing 90 ltr is? If thats the case you won't lose that much space and you have a bigger fridge. The bigger fridge is a popular upgrade.

RussLee29

Aug 15, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks Bank of Dad.

The 150 ltr fridge is installed in the same location as the 90, so there is a small amount of bench space lost, basically the width of fridge. The more I think about it the more I prefer the larger fridge option, just not the cost ,$900 ouch!

Still trying to sus out a lot of things, like power to fridge/battery, do I need 12 pin plug etc or an anderson plug? Lots of questions, but I found this form very informative and helpful

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'Day Russell,
Welcome to the forum....
We have a 16.49.1OB on order & ours is due in November too. We went for the 150ltr fridge, funny my wife thought it more important than me but I came around to her way of thinking in the end. We deleted the A/C so we had a bit of a saving there to spend elsewhere.
Your correct about the fridge being in the same location as the 90ltr one too.
I think the anderson plug is only for charging the battery (not running the fridge) that is done through the 12 pin connector & only while connected to the car. Some others on here might be able to help more with this. We are fitting the battery associated gear later.
looking forward to comparing notes when we take delivery......in November

Paul

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We have the 150 ltre fridge in our 16-49-3, wife's idea who am I to argue.

If you order the 150 ltr the van comes with 12 pin standard which will also charge battery, unless you order the the Anderson as an option which is the better way to go.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We have the 150ltr fridge as we did in our last expanda. We wouldn't be without it as we have 2 kids and still use a engel as well

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
G'day RussLee and welcome, just to open a can of worms we have the 90lt in our 16.49-3 but also have an engle in the car in needed.
Good Luck with your decision :happy:

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi,

New member to the forum. We have a Jayco Expanda 16.49.1 on order, expected delivery in November. We are trading up from a 2001 Jayco Hawk, looking for a bit less set up time which will make short stays more enjoyable.

Currently considering whether to up grade to 150L fridge. My thoughts are that this is a worthwhile option, although the wife (Leanne) has reservations with lost bench space and thinks that we could just use the esky as we have done in the past with the Hawk.

What do other members feel about the 150L fridge option?
Is it a worthwhile option?

Would be really keen to hear your feedback.

Thanks
Russell & Leanne

Hi Russell & Leanne welcome to the friendliest forum in town. We took our new 14.44-4 for it's first outing a couple of weeks ago and were very happy by how quick it is to set up. Ours has the 150L fridge and with two hungry boys (12 and 14) I'm glad we have! I think this falls into being a personal choice item, some will want it others will rather have the space and use an esky etc if they need more cold storage.
Shane.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
We have the 150ltr fridge as we did in our last expanda. We wouldn't be without it as we have 2 kids and still use a engel as well

Same here in the new van (to come), but then engel is used to store the "Drinks" Ha Ha! We only have the 90ltr in the Eagle & sometimes struggle for space. This was the reason we decided to go for the 150ltr in the new expanda.
By the way I think i read somewhere the 150 ltr was "Tropical Rated"........ Correct me if I'm wrong.
I know the 90ltr in my Eagle struggled a bit sometimes when we were up north.

Paul

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
G'Day Russell & Leanne, welcome to the forum.
Ours is due in November as well..haha. Ours came with the 150 as standard but if it didn't we would have upgraded. It wasn't tropical rated but for an extra $120 or so they can install a cooling fan to make it tropic rated.
I think it's a well worth wile investment for a few extra $$$.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
It's a nice problem to have Russell; how to outfit your van......I love it!

I guess it comes down to personal choice and money.....cheaper to do it now than later. Friends of mine have a 17.56-2 also with kids and stuck with the 90 ltr fridge as they wanted the aircon and already owned 2 portable/waeco fridges. It is a personal choice and what you choose won't be wrong, just yours!

Go with your gut instinct and what you can afford; remember it's all about what you do with your family and not what you do it in!

Cheers!

RussLee29

Aug 15, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks for to everyone for the welcomes and advice, it is much appreciated!

We are leaning toward the 150 ltr at the moment.

I have a question about solar pre wire, but maybe I should post that elsewhere in the forum

Thanks
Russell & Leanne

RussLee29

Aug 15, 2011
Melbourne
We have the 150 ltre fridge in our 16-49-3, wife's idea who am I to argue.

If you order the 150 ltr the van comes with 12 pin standard which will also charge battery, unless you order the the Anderson as an option which is the better way to go.

Hi Bushman,

Interested to know why the Anderson plug is preferred?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Bushman,

Interested to know why the Anderson plug is preferred?

Well i'm no electric's guru, so this is just what I've learn't from people who do know, (so happy to be corrected as this is a basic explenation) The Anderson plug is capable of a bigger (heavier duty cable), the best way to charge the battery is to get maximum power to it, the heavier cable allows this to happen with a minimum of voltage lose travelling over the distance from the front of the tow vechicle back to the battery location in the van.

Anderson Plug is also another way some prefer power the fridge in the van on 12v whilst travelling, again for maximum voltage, especially those only fitted with a 7 pin plug as there terminals are a bit light.

In my case the Anderson charges the Battery only and the fridge runs via the 12 pin,at the time of ordering I wasn't aware the van came standard with the 12 pin.

RussLee29

Aug 15, 2011
Melbourne
Well i'm no electric's guru, so this is just what I've learn't from people who do know, (so happy to be corrected as this is a basic explenation) The Anderson plug is capable of a bigger (heavier duty cable), the best way to charge the battery is to get maximum power to it, the heavier cable allows this to happen with a minimum of voltage lose travelling over the distance from the front of the tow vechicle back to the battery location in the van.

Anderson Plug is also another way some prefer power the fridge in the van on 12v whilst travelling, again for maximum voltage, especially those only fitted with a 7 pin plug as there terminals are a bit light.

In my case the Anderson charges the Battery only and the fridge runs via the 12 pin,at the time of ordering I wasn't aware the van came standard with the 12 pin.

Thanks Bushman,:hail:

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to have an Anderson plug. I assume a separate wire from the battery on the tow vehicle is required to an Anderson plug on the vehicle as well. I am thinking this may be the best way to provide a plug in for portable solar power as well, rather than pre wire to roof which has been quoted as a $200 option (sounds steep for a single wire to roof)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Thanks Bushman,:hail:

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to have an Anderson plug. I assume a separate wire from the battery on the tow vehicle is required to an Anderson plug on the vehicle as well. I am thinking this may be the best way to provide a plug in for portable solar power as well, rather than pre wire to roof which has been quoted as a $200 option (sounds steep for a single wire to roof)

Yep wire from Battery to Anderson required, a friend plugs his portable solar to the Anderson on his Topaz camper, mine has roof mounted panel, of coarse the draw back of that is, if ya parked in shade..

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome Rus!

Just to join in late we have two toddlers and have the 90L and a 40L waeco in the car. We find this works great for us.

We also have an anderson plug the same as Bushy, but our 90L is run off a 9 pin plug as it requires less power to run while towing than the 150L.

Enjoy the forum.

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
We used our expanda for the first time last weekend and noticed the 90L fridge is a bit on the small side. We now plan to use the fridge for just food and all drinks will go in our 90l engel. I found our engel fits more in it then the fridge (think cause the engel is chest layout and u can stack the food)