17' Series New Excited Member with 2014 17.56-2

Go Outback

Jun 11, 2015
Sydney
Hi Expanda down under members we have just purchased our first van and its an expand pop top 17.56-2 Outback 2014 model with JTec suspension.

We live in Sydney and purchased the van from Queensland and have not even transferred the rego yet as just got home. The chap I purchased it off was nice but was very crook on the day of purchase and was in no shape to run me through all the aspects of the van that I wanted to learn more about. So I headed home learning how my new Redarc brake controller worked never having towed before but arrived home safely.

I am not all that electrical minded but happy to learn and would appreciate some advice from others on the following:

a. when i plug the van into the car should the van aux battery under the dinette be getting charged and how can i check it is?

b. when I plug the van into 240v at home/van park etc should that charge the aux battery in the van under the dinette seat? and if so how can i check it is?

c. When i plug the van into 240v at home van park etc should that charge the break safe battery in the van also under the dinette seat? and again if so how can i check it is?

d. I noticed the break safe unit has a small lead out of it and looked it up to see it is for a 240v charger. I've ordered one off the net for $50 or so as the previous owner when i called him can not recall ever seeing it. is this the only way to charge the brake safe battery or is question b above relevant here. I also got the wireless in car unit with the van which appears to have paired ok as it gave off a low battery alarm even after i had driven home 12 hours with the van the day before and set off the light and a buzzer when i puled the breakaway unit out of the van.

e. The van has a solar panel on the roof and i presume connected to the aux battery in the van how can i check this is working i.e sending charge to the aux battery.

f. I have checked the hot water system works as i flicked on the heater switch and waited a while and we had hot water in the kitchen and shower. I believe if we started the heater with no water in it it could cook/damage the heater unit. How does one check the heater unit itself has water actually in it before turning on?

g. Whats a good cover to get for the van so i can get in van when stored. I called jayco and they have a cover that has 3 year warranty can't recall the price. do they facilitate the power lead plugged into the side.

h. whats a good way to cover the drawbar and gas bottles at home. is it a tarp or is there something better? I called jayco and they have a cover that has 3 year warranty can't recall the price.

i. when van stored at home should I just plug the 240v into it and forget it or should i be placing in some form of trickle charger as i presume solar will be useless as it will be under the cover.

j. where is the best place to buy the black privacy screens for the awning i'm thinking the long side and one for either the front or rear. The van came with an annex but it looks like a hassle to set up just to slow down the breeze, slow down a bit of rain and get some privacy. how do they fix to the awning?

k. I live in sydney and would like to carry say 2 x bags of firewood occasionally on the van and find a good external storage place for the hoses. What are peoples thoughts on a tool box on the rear that could carry such items, has anyone done this and know of some one sydney (north west Blacktown etc) who could do this work. I don't think this van has an extended drawbar not sure to be honest and at the moment the idea of a box on the front and moving the spare and the gas bottles appears to me would cost more than the box or a gal custom shelf on the rear for wood and hoses. Interested in peoples thoughts.

l. is there a good mesh stone guard that can go on the front occasionally that has rubber flaps that protect under a little as i have seen on outback vans.

j. what are the items on or under the van that can get damaged easily from stones from my vehicle's tyres and the vans tyres that i should consider protecting and how do people protect such items.

k. how do people carry a long plastic table and half a dozen good camp chairs in their 17.56 or similar van when travelling?

L. What are the key spares I should get i.e are there fuses i should carry.

M. I tried the Jayco jack at home and it looks almost fully extended using the jacking points on the van. do people carry a jacking plate to assist with height/spread load to change a tyre if ground a little soft.

Sorry its a long list i just want to look after it as best as possible and at least pretend to look like i know a little about my van when i front up to my first van park somewhere soon.

Thankyou in advance so much for any responses to my request for assistance/information.

Regards

Jeff

Reactions: Delano

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Once again... Welcome aboard Jeff,

I'll try my best to answer your queries and others will no doubt come along over time and add more!

a) The battery will get charge from the car battery provided the car is wired up for it. Standard car/trailer plugs are not wired for it as standard. If handy with a mutli meter use one to check..... If not find someone who is! The battery will only receive a slight charge from the car. Some fit DC to DC chargers to boost the charge (Ctek for example)

b) The 240V plug feeds the setec power supply (Which should be under the same dinette seat as the battery). Same as a) above regarding multi meter or lift the seat and check the setec and battery are connected.

c) Should be wired to the trailer plug. Won't charge until the car is wired to suit a) above! When plugged in lift the dinette seat and and the unit has a series of lights (Off the top of my head...... Flat battery, charged, charging etc). The 240V charger will do the job when at home. User manual can be found here.

d) See c) above!

e) There should be a solar regulator fitted in the van (Usually on a wall in same area as battery) It'll have digital readout showing battery voltage, incoming and outgoing AMPs with the press of a button.

f) Run water through it with a tap open and/or lift the pressure relief valve lever to get air out.... When water comes out without any air bubbles the heater is full. One for the memory bank..... DO NOT turn the water heater on with no water in it. Very good chance of burning out the heating element.

g) Had a "Prestige" brand for the previous van. Comes with a zipped panel on the door side that can be undone and rolled up when you need to get in.

h) A tarp will do the job but wait until you get the van cover..... Some are big enough to drape over the gas bottles. If not do a search on gas bottle covers or see a local canvas place as most will do them and in the colour/s of choice.

i) Just plug it in to the 240V. The setec power supply is also a smart charger and will turn off/on as required. A Ctek DC to DC charger can be fitted if you want faster charging.

j) Do a search on "Sunbuster" screens..... Good UV protection and hard to see through!

k) Will leave that to others...... Carry ours on a roof rack on the Prado!

l) Do a search on Rock Tamers and Stone Stomper in the search up top. Stone Stomper's get better feedback and are made by a member here... Speak to @Stone Stomper and he'll point you in the right direction ;)

j1?) Hoses and cables are the main things to protect. Anything from corrugated conduit to foam piping (Can't remember the name of it)

k1?) Various different ways. You'll find plenty ideas from here looking through the "My Jayco" pages. Our option for tables can be seen here.

L1?) Spares will depend on where you are going and for how long. Fuses are standard auto blade fuses so keeping a few in the van wouldn't hurt. Check what are in the Setec power supply and check the sizes.

M) Ditch the Jayco Jack and get a good bottle hydraulic jack........ A ground plate (Bit of wood) will be helpful in soft area.

Have a good look through the forum and you will get plenty more ideas...... Just hope you have plenty of time and dollars 8-) :D

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Good reply dagree your table can be stored underneath back bed end pic on one of my posts or colsar did it first dont forget u can hound jayco for quick response to any problems there a great van easy to tow what do u tow it with many people can help here u have hrs trolling through threads for ideas just type it in and you will find it where are u planing to go christmas many parks booked out we are going near ulladulla to 3 diffrant parks along that coast one still has spots but running out

Reactions: Delano

Go Outback

Jun 11, 2015
Sydney
Thankyou to those that responded. Not to sure for xmas yet just went up coast for a few days happy with van thus far learnt a bit of some people there. Will put up some pics and i'm sure some more questions soon.

Cheers

Jeff