Need some ideas for removable solar panel on roof of van

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've got 2x100w panels, one of which is permanently mounted to the van roof but I haven't mounted the second one yet as I would like it to be removable. If I'm parked in a shade I want to be able to remove one panel from the roof and have it in sunshine on an extension chord. I know this is going to be probably a bit of a pain but I won't be pulling it down too often.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I can make the panel removable? I was thinking of having 2 aluminium angle irons running the long length of the panel permanently mounted to the van and maybe 3 wing nuts per side to mount the panel to them? I'd have an Anderson plug on the power cable so I can disconnect it electrically from the roof position.

I would love to get some ideas from you all on any better/faster ideas for this project.

Cheers
Mike

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
A quick thought might be to use roof rack style mountings. Specifically the ones that are flat and have adjustable slides. Lock one end of the panel in with a U style clip and then have a sliding U clip other end. Electrics can be Anderson paralleled (one on roof and one on side of van).