My New 16.49-3 Jayco Expanda Has Arrived

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
Well my new 2015 expanda finally arrived after a 4 month wait. Everything arrived as per my order brief which after hearing other peoples issues, was a concern.One interesting design issue I noted though was the positioning of the ensuite door clashes with the poptop handle internally, preventing the ensuite door from opening with the pop top down. Didn't realize this prior to now but still wouldn't have prevented me from ordering it.

It was ordered with a different lounge arrangement, wind up aerial, drifta panel, fusion sound system, extended drawbar, external picnic table, stone guard as standard options.

photo 5.jpeg
photo 2.jpeg
photo 9 edited 2.jpg
photo 13 edited 2.jpg
photo 3.jpeg
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 3.jpeg
photo 13 edited 2.jpg
photo 9 edited 2.jpg
photo 2.jpeg
photo 5.jpeg
photo 13 edited 2.jpg
photo 13 edited 2.jpg

Now the modifications are to commence prior to a big trip into NT & WA. Photos to follow of the modifications as they proceed.

Cant recommend Jayco Newcastle high enough.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
They have reversed the ensuite door for some reason, a bit strange, so your dunny must be rearward facing? We could always use the dunny while roof was down.
whole new layout it seem

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonykarter15

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
great looking van, I like that they have now included a door on the rear storage area. My 17.56 does not have this, so you can only get into the storage area when the rear bed is expanded! Stupid!
I think I may order a draw front and fit it like yours.

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
Really happy how it turned out.

the rear door to the tunnel boot was an option that I ticked- it isn't a standard inclusion. I wanted an external hatch as well but the rear tunnel boot just isn't wide enough for it, therefore I asked for an internal door to be installed instead

The main mods will be storm covers, annex and junk room, bike rack, lockable pole and rafter carriers, fire wood storage racks, towel racks, toolbox to drawbar. Long list but will gradually work through it.

Reactions: Soaring

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Hi tony great setup. Just signed off on our 16.49.4. Ques- was ur lounge originally 2 benches n table. How much to change to the lounge set up u have?
same prado as well hiw does it tow

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Well my new 2015 expanda finally arrived after a 4 month wait. Everything arrived as per my order brief which after hearing other peoples issues, was a concern.One interesting design issue I noted though was the positioning of the ensuite door clashes with the poptop handle internally, preventing the ensuite door from opening with the pop top down. Didn't realize this prior to now but still wouldn't have prevented me from ordering it.

It was ordered with a different lounge arrangement, wind up aerial, drifta panel, fusion sound system, extended drawbar, external picnic table, stone guard as standard options.

View attachment 32236 View attachment 32235 View attachment 32234 View attachment 32233 View attachment 32232 View attachment 32231 View attachment 32231 View attachment 32232 View attachment 32233 View attachment 32234 View attachment 32235 View attachment 32236 View attachment 32233 View attachment 32233

Now the modifications are to commence prior to a big trip into NT & WA. Photos to follow of the modifications as they proceed.

Cant recommend Jayco Newcastle high enough.
Congratulations on your new arrival! Looks great. Didn't know that Jayco would allow you to alter the seating / lounge layout.....getting me to reconsider our seating in our Basestation, due for delivery in July. Did they charge much to alter the arrangement?

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Nice looking unit @Tonykarter15 eith some good options too.
We have the 2014 model but with different seating layout and love it.
One thing that never entered my mind was the toilet opening into the kitchen until I read your post and it triggered something in my brain re building code for toilet location in a house. I guess the same rules would apply to a van. The Building Code of Australia is pretty clear and it looks like Jayco have done the right thing too, so no one is in the poo!
From the BCA:

HEALTH AND AMENITY
3.8.5.3 Location of sanitary compartments

Sanitary compartments must not open directly into a kitchen or pantry unless—

(a) access is by an airlock, hallway or other room, (see Figure 3.8.5.2); or
(b) the room containing the closet pan is provided with mechanical exhaust ventilation installed in accordance with Part 3.8.5.

Performance Requirement P2.4.5 is satisfied for a mechanical ventilation system if it is installed in accordance with AS 1668.2—Mechanical ventilation for acceptable indoor air quality, except that any contaminated air from a sanitary compartment or bathroom must—

(a) exhaust directly to outside the building by way of ducts; or
(b) exhaust into the roof space provided—
(i) it is adequately ventilated by open eaves, and/or roof vents; or
(ii) the roof is clad in roofing tiles without sarking or similar materials which would prevent venting through gaps between tiles.
Mechanical ventilation includes electric exhaust fans.

Enjoy the van mate.
Cheers,
Paul

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi tony great setup. Just signed off on our 16.49.4. Ques- was ur lounge originally 2 benches n table. How much to change to the lounge set up u have?
G'day @David Spencer we tow a fully loaded 16.49.3 OB with a D4D Prado with no issues at all, the Prado eats it for breakfast. Only mod we did after a couple of short trips away was put airbags in the rear - it made a huge difference in handling.
Cheers,
Paul

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast

The standard layout is for 2 benches and a table and I requested an L shaped lounge instead. That way a longer person can sleep on it. It didn't cost me any more for the different lounge set-up.

The prado towed it really well on the way home. It cruised well at 100km/hr. The car has different suspension with airbags, shocks and springs. It sat level and rode really well, so much so that I wont bother with a weight distribution hitch.

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
Congratulations on your new arrival! Looks great. Didn't know that Jayco would allow you to alter the seating / lounge layout.....getting me to reconsider our seating in our Basestation, due for delivery in July. Did they charge much to alter the arrangement?
There was no cost associated with changing the lounge

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Great news, congratulations
Love the "eyes" on the front door.
Can't wait for ours to arrive

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Congrats on the new van @Tonykarter15. Looks the goods indeed!

great looking van, I like that they have now included a door on the rear storage area. My 17.56 does not have this, so you can only get into the storage area when the rear bed is expanded! Stupid!
I think I may order a draw front and fit it like yours.

Really like it as well mate. We store the kids clothes often in that area, as well as other stuff. It's annoying having to lift the mattress. This might be a solution...