16' Series Microwave above sink???

Uncle Fester

Feb 25, 2012
Hi, we've just received the confirmation for our 16.49-1- to be delivered early May. We have opted for the roof mounted air con and requested the microwave be moved to where the air con was, above the sink. The factory has said this can't be done and has to stay above the fridge. Has anyone successfully put their microwave above the sink (I thought I had seen photos on the forum somewhere)? If not, I'll just have to have a cupboard over the sink.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hey Fester,
Ask them where the microwave goes if you upgrade the fridge to 150l. The response will be interesting!

That is a good point, with the 150l fridge they need to move the microwave. Ours is above the sink.

Uncle Fester

Feb 25, 2012
We have upgraded to the 150l fridge (RM2553) and the microwave sits above it.

Do you have a picture showing the microwave above the sink?

Thanks

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
This is our van with the microwave above the sink. It is in the 17-56.2ob model van.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 292

linrod

Jan 3, 2012
Inverloch, Victoria
We have the same as Molongmick, larger fridge, oven and roof mounted aircon. Microwave is going above sink where aircon was. Sorry no pics as yet, van arriving next week!!! I think your dealer is having you on, Our model is the 17.56.1
Cheers Linda

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
When we ordered our 17.56-2, we had to move the M/C from above the sink to under the cooker to make way for the A/C to go there. 150ltr fridge also.

Some ones telling porkies!

Uncle Fester

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. Is there any reason why a 16.49-1 would be any different to a 17 series van? Is there anyone who has moved the microwave in a 16 series van?

Thanks

Sue

Uncle Fester

Feb 25, 2012
Hi Everyone,

We went to the dealer's this morning and the cabinet above the sink in the 16 series is narrower than in the 17's. So we have to leave the microwave above the fridge and we are getting a cupboard door put on where the a/c was.

Uncle Fester

Feb 25, 2012
Hi Turtle,

Yes, the fridge sits on the floor in the 16.49-1. I think in the 17's it has a cupboard or drawer under it.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
The microwave in our 16-49-3 is on the floor under the stove, real pain in the arse not to mention crook knees, and wacking your leg/knee on the handle when at the stove. We originally wanted roof A/C so the the microwave could be relocated above the fridge
(150 ltr) they wanted extra $850 to do it

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi eveyone. One thing I have discovered with Jayco, beacuse everything is prefabricated (modules) they wont do anything that doesnt have a prefab module for. We are still having a disagreement over the 18.57.5 (new plan) as to the cupboard outside shower. They are pretty stubborn that way. They also will not take modules from one type of van to another...just not done. So if they dont have a casing to put microwave over sink they wont take a module from another model to do it...whats wrong with these guys? I think maybe they are building so many, that if they did everyones wishes then they would be customizing vans extensively. I dont think any of these things are an issue but Jayco see things a lot differently.
Good luck with your request Uncle Fester, I hope you get it the way you want it. Keep us posted. We send so much money on these vans a bit of fexibility would be a good marketing tool.
Jenny :rockon:

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
We did not order air conditioning with our van (we intend to do lots of free camping), but we did order 150l fridge and oven. The microwave was relocated to above the larger fridge as oven occupies spot where they normally put the microwave. We have since given the microwave to some young friends who have just moved out of home. We now have a new storage area to sort out where the microwave was.

I appreciate the fact that this would not suit everyone - we hardly use the microwave at home let alone in the van - that's our choice. Whereas others would often use the microwave. Same re oven - I do the cooking and love having an oven + Baby Q and Cobb cooker! All individual choices.

Also re aircon - we managed for many years with our off road camper without. HOWEVER we are going to install a Truma gas heater for those cold nights out West!!

Cheers all

Bill

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Also re aircon - we managed for many years with our off road camper without. HOWEVER we are going to install a Truma gas heater for those cold nights out West!!

Cheers all

Bill

Couldnt agree more mate, an aircon in a caravan ??? They are to damm noisy if nothing else...
Anyway, wrt to the Truma Gas Heater, I put one in our recently sold Swan outback and can highly recomend it - will be one of the top priorities in our Expanda for sure. you wont regret it