Meet our KFE (17.56-2 OB)

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Sorry for the crappy iphone photos but just introducing you all to our KFE (Kung Fu Expanda). We picked it up from Jayco Bundaberg on the 19 November 2011 and took it down to the gold coast on the 25th to test it out.

IMG_1983.JPG
7 year old's bed
IMG_2001.JPG
Our bed (Husband not impressed by my choice of white!)

IMG_1999.JPG
Bigger 150L fridge

IMG_1998.JPG
the new TV - 24" but I think the biggest we could find that could be 12V

IMG_1993.JPG
Kitchen - we use the cupboard under the grill for the pantry

IMG_1987.JPG
Shower - yes we used it despite being oposite the amenities block

IMG_1986.JPG
Toilet (need to investigate some more on hstp friendly chemicals first)

IMG_1984.JPG
Kids activity table

IMG_1982.JPG
18 month old's bed

IMG_2002.JPG
Main table - it would seem that while there is a TV there, the kids won't be using their table.

The outside photos are too large but it looks like any other outback. Will update the post one day with them though

Cheers
Andrea

PS - someone mentioned something about the ladders in another post. Ours goes out on an about 20 degree angle. The ladder is up on the bed due to a certain little toddler climbing it constantly.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Yeah the second table, the toilet, the bigger fridge, the HWS, the shower, the ease of set up........they were all factors!:thumb:

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Looks great - re toilet - look up use of Napisan on Caravannersforum. That's what we used on our first weekend after getting van - seemed to work well - wasn't too revolting when I emptied it!
Cheers
Bill

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Chartrock, that's our rig up there but I think BOD has the same setup :) It is a great setup for kids and especially given our age gap it will work perfectly as when our 7 year old hits teenage years and is getting too long for the bunk, he'll swap with his little brother who will be hanging to be up on the top bunk :)

Hi Bill, I was going that way. We have spend many hours in the past investigating the chemcial make up the sodium percarbonate products (home brewing) and the cheap brands are not spectic safe, the only one we have found is the Ecostore one. We will probably top it up with some additional 100% sodium percarbonate to bring the percentage up to around 40%

for any interested, this is what is in most of the commercial nappy soakers (extracted from http://frugalandthriving.com.au)

Nappy soaker is often said to be biodegradable and safe to use. I purchase home brand nappy soaker (it’s cheap) and use it as a pre soaker for stain removal and to boost my homemade laundry detergent. Of course, the ingredients aren’t listed on the label so I contacted Woolworths to find out what exactly is in their product. It took over three weeks to get a response – actually I’d already written this article, but better late than never: Dense Soda Ash, Sodium chloride, Sodium percarbonate (active ingredient as stated on label), Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate, Optical Brightener, Tixosil 38, Fragrance, Triple Enzymes, Sodium Salt of LABSA.

Dense Soda Ash is Sodium Carbonate (above). Sodium Chloride is common table salt.

Sodium Percarbonate is made from Sodium Carbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide (which breaks down into water and oxygen. It is produced naturally when sunlight acts with water and is a more green alternative to chlorine bleach). It is used to bleach and disinfect. This ingredient is considered environmentally safe.

Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate softens water and enhances the cleaning efficiency of the other ingredients. Although it has been claimed that it is environmentally safe and at least a better choice than it’s functional counterparts, the jury is out in my opinion on whether this ingredient is safe or not. The only info I could find was that it is commonly used in skin care products, that you shouldn’t let it get in contact with skin and that it is toxic to marine life.

Optical brighteners are dyes that absorb light in one spectrum and re-emit light in the blue spectrum giving a lighter appearance. The dye remains on the laundry after washing as microscopic fluorescent particles. These brighteners are often derived from chemicals that are toxic and can cause an allergic reaction. They are not biodegradable and potentially toxic to marine life.

Tixosil 38 as far as I can tell is an anti-caking agent. It is also a brand name so who knows what’s in it.

Enzymes are proteins naturally produced by living organisms. In the laundry, enzymes act on stains and dirt so that this material can be washed away more easily. Protease acts on protein stains, lipolases break down lipid (fat) based stains and amylases break down starches and other carbohydrate based stains, which is where the triple part comes in.

Salt of LABSA or Sodium Laurylbenzenesulfonate is a synthetic anionic surfactant (reduces the surface tension of water helping oil and water to mix – needed for cleaning) that helps remove oily dirt. It is considered an environmentally better option than alternative chemicals as it is biodegradable and has a relatively short chemical chain but it’s still synthetic.

As you can see, commercial nappy soaker has some ok ingredients and some not-so-ok ingredients. The popular Napisan has similar ingredients. Next time I’ll be looking for a brand that is transparent and more environmentally friendly.

As a side note, the nappy soaker states on the packaging that it complies with the Australian Standard 4351 for biodegradability. That sounds good, right?

I did a little digging and the Standard only refers to surfactants so you can make this claim on you label even if only one of your ingredients is a surfactant and complies with the standard (biodegrades within 28 days). I checked out the standard (you can only read the first couple of pages unless you’re willing to fork out $40 to download the pdf) and the scope states the the standard refers to the “biodegradation of organic compounds in an aqueous medium. This Standard does not assess the impact of a material or its metabolites on the environment.” Not such a great claim after all.

Bicarbonate Soda – Sodium bicarbonate is naturally occurring and non-toxic. It has many, many uses and is one of those must have miracle ingredients for the home. It is used in laundry to soften water, remove stains and odours and lift dirt. Use as a substitute to borax.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Andrea, my apologies for not going back far enough in the posts. I had read them all but just answered for BankofDad.

You sure have done some research on the nappisan subject. I have never thought of using anything but the products supplied as samples when we bought the van. :noidea:

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
No worries chartrock. When we had our HSTP service guy out just before we picked it up he showed us how to use the system as a dump point. Ours is Ultraviolet treated so we need to be careful. As for the research, the other half is a huge brewer and when he started using the nappysan type products for cleaning I was concerned as to what residue might be left. We might have tried it out by the Feb meet (well hopefully cause it'll mean we've used our van!)

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Yes Andrea we have the standard version 17.56-2.

We have pretty much what you have from the photos you posted except no TV (nothing on most of the time ) and a Heron 2.2 wall mounted A/C. We put ALKO drop jacks on which are standard in the O/B, gas bayonets front and back, additional double powerpoints under each dinette table, pivacy screens and annex walls.

Checked it all out at home and all systems work. Only thing broken at the moment is the external tap fittings (tiny screws) broke on the trip home from pick up, so the tap is held on by cable ties and duct tape at the moment!

Head off on 1st trip very soon - can't wait.