14' Series Maho's 14.44-4 OB

Maho

Apr 8, 2016
Melbourne
Hi Guys and Girls,

My first post here, I've been reading around for a while, now I have a few questions....

We are about to pull the trigger on the purchase of a 14.44-4OB (probably tomorrow!) and our list of options at this stage are as follows-

Ext shower and HWS
Drifter battery unit
Roof AC
Stereo
19" TV and antenna
Bike Rack
Picnic table
2nd water tank
2nd battery
2nd Gas bottle
Shelves to robe
sun shade wall to awning
16" wheels
extra 12v sockets

I was wondering if anyone can help with my following queries-

12v - I have done the full set up on a our camper trailer and would prefer to do it on the expanda too, but Im concerned about access and running the wires. Is it easy enough to do it yourself? That way I know its done the way I like it. I think getting an extra socket on the kitchen bench would be good though, as that would be hard to access?

External solar input- is it better/easier enough to access and do yourself?

I forgot to ask what size solar reg is standard, is 20 or 30amp standard?

Toilet- where does everyone store them? on the camper we had it on the drawbar

Black Nose cone- has anyone done away with this? I like on the previous years models, where the two gas bottles were place on either side of the drawbar, this would allow me to mount the toilet on the drawbar between the gas bottles, or have a fire wood rack. What have other done here?

Bed end storm covers- are they worth it for when it rains? being a smallish bed area, I can see the doona/pillows touching the canvas and transferring the moisture in

Coming from a soft floor camper, this will be complete luxury for us. we are heading off on the big lap in January and have decided to upgrade for the trip, so we are pretty excited! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I put solar in mine and wished that the previous owner had at least got Jayco to provision for solar
But it was not that hard a job.

My advice is if you are comfortable drilling a hole in your roof and running cables through cupboards then do it yourself as you will get better quality Regulators /Panels for the same price (unless you want cheap ones)
Also you can never have enough solar if you are bush camping without Power or a Generator as the sun is a fickle thing and will only show itself when you don't have a flattish battery >:(

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Def get bed end storm covers and extra power points, 12v. Found it a bit tricky to get access to 12v line to tap into for extras when I did it myself. If you get HWS & shower, extra gas and water tank are usually part of the deal.
Get spare tyre moved to the rear or under rear as hanging down in the draw bar is useless, hard to get too, security bolt gets bent on bumpy roads and then you can't get it down. I used that space to add a basket and store annex etc.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/marv_marts-panda.5178/
Check here for the mods I have done, others have similar mod threads you will find useful. Ours is a 14.44-5 OB and there are only two of us so situation a bit different.
:welcome: By the way, we always find lots of ways to help,you spend your money!

Maho

Apr 8, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks for that guys. Marv - that's was my concern with doing some extra 12v points - finding a 12v cable to tap into! I will put that on the list.
The spare wheel is under the van, but located near the door, not on the drawbar. I might leave it as is, but move it to rear like you have if I need to reduce my ball weight at all.

Matt

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
External solar input:

Easy....Anderson plug wherever you want it...draw bar (inside) works then wire direct to battery, not via Setec. You'll need a separate regulator on the portable panel/s.

Other solar: bit more difficult but check when you put your order in as to what the "wired for solar" actually means. I think they do the internal wiring but not sure if there's a junction box on roof. That then gets wired to Setec I think but check that. It's accessible. Get your own MPPT regulator ...it's got to be better than the one jayco uses. ( I think they use a 20 amp but don't have a van at the moment so not sure)

Suggest you opt for 150w panel if you get it from Jayco. We found that more than sufficient and much more efficient than our old 120 portable.

Is it a new van to be ordered or a "new" used van? That makes a difference as to wiring.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Maho

Apr 8, 2016
Melbourne
I was debating the extended draw bar bigcol. If my plan to move the gas bottles onto the side of the drawbar like previous years, and store the toilet on the drawbar goes ahead, then the extended draw bar would be useful!

I will be opting for the 150w solar panel. I currently have a Ctec 250s on my camper trailer, so I might pull that off and use it on the jayco. It is a 'new to be built' van.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Matt

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Ted farkas

Oct 5, 2014
I have a 14 ft ob 2014 expanda and pulled it around west oz with 2 kids for 4 months and just did birdsvile big red bash recently. I stored the toilet in front between gas bottles and made a little frame in the v in front to carry other stuff. I have standard solar pack and never ran battery flat , so i wonder if you need 2 as the mods really chew the payload (i technically can only have about 150 kgs including water !!!) so be vary wary of weight. I ran extra 12v sockets usb sockets for dinnette and kids bunks bit pf stuffing around but just ran into the back of the setec controller as there was extra slots and all properly fused. I put another light under the o/h cupboard for the table (like the sink) so you dont need the bright light. Reading light for top bunk is needed too i reckon (fluros are harsh). I added a 1/v fan in the fridge vent area that has really improved the fridge.

Im not a fan of the truma and if i had my time again would get a diesel or gas heater instead as it needs ac power ( these things are geared for deee camping) and doesnt work in really high or low tempa. I used 12v fans for the kids bunks.
A tv outlet for outside viewing would be on my next wish list too.

I towed it acroos the gibb with no greater dramas other than a few cupboards broke amd lost abed screw but they have been fixed properly now.

I added a clamp on the back for the jockey.

I rate em.

Maho

Apr 8, 2016
Melbourne
Well we bit the bullet and ordered it today, and brand new 14.44-4 OB! We are pretty excited and can't wait for delivery which should be end September.

In the end we went for-
Second battery
Second gas bottle
Second water tank
Shelves to robe
Awning sunshade wall
16" wheels
Stereo
HWS and ext shower
Light above shower outside
150w solar
Storm cover
4 extra 12v points
Extended drawbar
Drifter control panel
Roof top air
TV and antenna
Bike rack
Picnic table

That's a long list when you write it out! Now, to sell our camper trailer......

Matt

Robbo1979

Jun 19, 2016
Wagga
Hi Maho just took delivery of a 14.44-4OB less then 3 weeks ago, just checking out your list of add ons and almost identical to mine, minus and add one or two items.

First trip away will be this weekend.

First Mod was carpet and non slip matting for cupboards.

Second Mod (in planning) will be the addition of a generator box to the A frame.

Hope the next two month don't drag out to much:)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats @Maho ... Sounds like a good list for starters but I guarantee there will be more additions and/or mods once you use it the first few times ;)

The wait will be over in no time but the last week goes the slowest ;)

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
Congratulations on your purchase and a good list of options.
We had a14.44-4ob prior to upgrading to our Journey. Running extra 12 volt outlets was fairly simple. I just added them to the spare connections in the Setec, that way they were fused and could be isolated with the battery switch. I also ran external front and rear weatherproof 12 volt outlets under the caravan. You can follow the existing wiring on the caravan. The Jayco's, come with a basic 12 volt 30 amp regulator. On my current Journey, I have tapped into the regulator and run an Anderson connector under the front of the caravan so that I can connect a portable caravan. That way the roof mounted panel and potable panel can run from the same regulator. Just make sure that both panels running at maximum input do not exceed the regulators rated input. With a 150 watt panel on the roof you should safely have around 15 amps left for a portable second panel. This has worked for me without issues when I tested the system. We mainly use the portable panel for charging the battery when the caravan is parked under the carport.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: Maho and bigcol

Maho

Apr 8, 2016
Melbourne
Hi Maho just took delivery of a 14.44-4OB less then 3 weeks ago, just checking out your list of add ons and almost identical to mine, minus and add one or two items.

First trip away will be this weekend.

First Mod was carpet and non slip matting for cupboards.

Second Mod (in planning) will be the addition of a generator box to the A frame.

Hope the next two month don't drag out to much:)

Hi robbo,
Out of interest, Did you weigh your van after you picked it up? Or check your ball weight? I think it will be first on my list to do!
Matt

Reactions: bigcol

Robbo1979

Jun 19, 2016
Wagga
Hi robbo,
Out of interest, Did you weigh your van after you picked it up? Or check your ball weight? I think it will be first on my list to do!
Matt
Hi Maho,

No, but now that I have started filling up with crap (I mean essential camping equipment), I intend to take it to a public weighbridge next trip.

Based on information provided on pickup I have 290kg to play with, before I add water. So with 2 full tank I'll have about 130kg:confused-87:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just found this thread, reckon you have ticked all the right boxes @Maho , you must be going crazy waiting for the days to pass..................so long as you have a tug that has a decent towing capacity and you don't go crazy loading up with heaps of junk your weights should be okay, I wouldn't get ulcers worrying about weights...............................don't forget the pics.......lol,lol.