LPG Regulator copper Pigtail replacement

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi all,
I have a 2013 Jayco Expanda OB with duel gas bottles and regulator. I was looking at replacing the copper pipes between the regulator and gas bottles with braided hoses and was wondering if anyone else has done this and what is the correct hoses to buy. A search online shows there are normal and inverted flare fitting, so I am not to sure which one mine had. I remove my bottles for storage and don't like the idea of constantly moving the copper pipe to remove the gas bottles.
Thanks
Nick

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
proper pipes are the copper ones .... braided ones deteriorate and block the regulator with crap. but if you really want to change them you need to change fittings on regulator (or selector valve) as well, as the copper uses a flared fitting and braided just uses tapered thread. use gas thread tape, or a liquid sealant that is gas rated, check all work with soapy water in a spray bottle, cup your hand under the fitting your testing to get a good coverage of soap, test the bottle fitting as well every time you change it.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I changed mine over, I just took the pig tail down to the local gas shop & he gave me a braided line that just screwed straight in, agree that you need to check your connections when done.
Why did I change them ? Just because I can lol, I have heard that they deteriorate over time & can block the regulator before I brought them, but I still did it, I know it sounds stupid but so be it.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Nick, get the ¼” Inverted Flare x POL. 600mm flex pigtail with excess flow valve (for dual cylinder application).

There is nothing to change on the regulator or selector valve as it has an 1/4" inverted flare thread exactly like a flared copper pipe and brass fitting...

I’m with CJ – yep, you should always check connections for leaks and yeah these won't last as long as copper but they look better and because I can.
IMG_1866.JPG Kung Fu Expanda (2).JPG

I now see you can also get flex stainless inner core hoses, with s/s braid protection and PVC outer for further protection – so no internal rubber hose to deteriorate and block the reg. If I knew about them when I did the changeover I would have got them. http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=13557 Still might get them… because they are yellow to match my wheel nut indicators!

Either way I reckon flex hoses are easier to work with for frequent bottle removal/installation for storage purposes, as I do this too.

PS. On my 2013 panda I had to tighten the crap out of one botting fitting to get it to seal as the copper pigtail’s POL fittings didn’t have O-rings like the flex hose on the POL fitting… again easier to install without overnighting at the bottle.

Reactions: Rockape

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah, I bought the same as @Ligedy, just swap over with no adapters. Not a real dear item so will replace every couple of years to avoid rubber deterioration .Might be an idea to carry a few spare O rings just in case too.