Looking to do Oodnadatta Trk - 1 or 2 spares for tug & van?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi,

We are looking to do the Oodnadatta Track soon and I was wondering if I should carry 2 spare tyres for both the tug and van?

Issue is they are different stud patterns and sizes, so that means carrying 4 spares!

Will be carrying compressor & plug repair kit.

Suggestions please.

Rohan

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I carried an extra for the Cruiser when we did it but didnt worry for the van.

I lowered my tyre pressures accordingly. My van has 15's so a bit more of a common size the Cruiser had 285/75/16
At least with the extra tyres for the Cruiser your still mobile. To save on weight you could just carry an extra carcass for the van.

Another thing is just be wary of where you pull over along the sideof the track as thats one place you can get puntures too

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@cruza driver,

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you take any inner tubes with you or just the tubeless spare tyres?

Spare for the LC200 & carcass for van + tyre levers will almost be the same weight!

With all the spares you end up carrying, glad I'm getting the GVM upgrade to 3,800KG for the LC200!

Cheers,

Rohan

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
No inner tubes mate, I reckon the tyre repair kit would be enough. As you mentioned how much can you take :)

William Creek and Oodnadatta do tyre repairs. Drop your pressures, take your time I reckon you'll be right mate. The other key is to have the tyres that are in good condition and suited to the travelling your are planning on doing.
We went out through the Painted Desert instead of north to Marla.

Last September we did Winton Qld to Broken Hill the dirt way which was worse than the Ood Trk and also never had a problem and thats still the same tyres on the Expanda but a different tow car :)

Reactions: BUSH PALACE

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Thanks C D,

The LC200's is running the factory fitted Dunlop AT22 285/60R18 and they have 41,000 km on them. They still have plenty of tread on them, but given the trip I am thinking it might be time to get a set of Cooper A/T3s before we go. New LC200 rim is $550 + tyre, then another for the van and a roof rack to put them on!

It just never stops….. :D

Looking forward to getting to the painted desert and perhaps up north of Oddnadatta to the large springs and national park.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Ro,
We did it last year as well, ran across from Coober Pedy to William creek and then down the track. I had 2 spares for the Prado but just the factory spare for the Panda. Like CD I took a tyre repair kit but didn't take any tubes. Drove to conditions and lowered pressures, no problem. The road condition at that time was pretty good to.

HM

Jul 25, 2013
Macedon Ranges
Thanks C D,

The LC200's is running the factory fitted Dunlop AT22 285/60R18 and they have 41,000 km on them. They still have plenty of tread on them, but given the trip I am thinking it might be time to get a set of Cooper A/T3s before we go. New LC200 rim is $550 + tyre, then another for the van and a roof rack to put them on!

It just never stops….. :D

Looking forward to getting to the painted desert and perhaps up north of Oddnadatta to the large springs and national park.

Hi ROnEM as others have said lowering Tyre pressure is crucial when going off road and driving to conditions we have been on the Oodnadatta twice the Gibb River Road out to Arkaroola and a few other off road tracks I carry a 2nd spare for the Ranger as well as a tyre plug repair kit and compressor and I would never go off road with out them , I have lost a alloy rim had 2 punctures and the tyre plug kit is a winner it saves having to take the rim and tyre off the vehicle you can fix the puncture with it still on quick and easy, instead of buying another alloy rim I bought a Sunraysia Steel rim with the same offset as the Ranger rim it works out a lot cheaper, have a great trip out there plenty to see and a lot of history.
Cheers WS

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
When are you heading down the track?
we're got it planned for the first week of October, coming back from Central.
(also planning 2 spares for the car, 1 for the van, repair kit and compressor)

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
I have friends who just did the track last week with their Rodeo and Windsor Rapid and no issues. I don't think they carried any extra spares. Their photos look amazing. Their only complaint was with how many flies there are at the moment.

Reactions: cruza driver

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
We are (were :() planning to do the track over the two weeks of the school holidays as of 5th April, however, owing to having to get a new drive shaft in the LC200 as result of excessive wear that they found at the 40,00 km pre-trip service the other day! >:(

Can't go with the shaft as it is, and will be a few weeks for one to come in and be fitted and school holidays will be over by then. Upside is it is being done under warranty.

Will have to look at doing the track as part of the another holiday trip.

Ro

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
man that sucks!
we did the Ood trip Christmas 2012. We travel in pairs so we didn't have extra spares each as the cars were the same tyres and the vans also.
When you do it, as the others have said, lower your tyre pressures. I would recommend getting some LT tyres (sorry not familiar with the AT22?) for the increased durability etc. Alternatively, can you get the van and car to be the same tyres - just a thought.

Its a great trip love it. We blew into Oodnadatta at just on 6pm on Christmas eve and they still repaired 2 tyres for us at that point. First tyre was a tyre that punctured due to not being let down - only took 20mins. This was a car tyre that was not an LT tyre. Second tyre was a van tyre sidewall puncture from a sidetrack. Tyre had been let down.

Cheers mate.
Ants