Just Browsing load balancing for caravans

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I have to admit we forgot about balancing the water tanks after we'd been away for awhile.

The guy who services the van pointed out the valve for changing over the tanks and I said " whoops".

Now I use it but we'd never had two tanks before so it didn't even get near to my radar.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Drover is the one to answer this...much more experienced than me.

But, in our case, it's a bit like an extra wobble and the feeling I need to go super slow around corners...maybe I'm just reacting to the feeling that something is not quite right.

I will say I find the ESC really good as I think it gives that extra margin, particularly the wind effect from b doubles going in both directions.

I know we've felt the wobbles, the sway and the bumps far less with this van.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If you look at our 22.68.. Most of my added weight is easily put in front of axles by design. I have been told by a few people best to load more to the front then the rear. Although is that correct?
View attachment 39537
Front of the Axles is two water tanks, two gas bottles, tunnel boat, under bed storage inc Battery, two wardrobes and over head cupboards.
Just in front of axle under dinette is HWS/Pump.
Over both axles kitchen cupboards.
Over rear axle Fridge/Oven
Behind Axles rear water tank, then at the rear kids wardrobe, toilet/washing machine.

Dave, my limited knowledge suggests that you are correct....that's what I was told as well....weight mainly over axles and limit weight to the back.

I cringe when I see huge toolboxes etc hanging off the back.

I saw an article on weight distribution, simply written and easy to understand, in the free Qld Caravan Parks guide for 2016. It also had a simple explanation of tare, GVM etc etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep it but someone might be able to pick one up....or already have it.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
thats a good article @JT76
I see a few vans now with big rear boots to get the tow ball weight down.
If we look at getting a new Tug I might have to look at TBM more as payloads in a few are not high.
So take less crap is the answer then moving crap down the back :)

Reactions: JT76

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@JT76, your earlier post is a good question, having gone from a 14.44.3 which I was pretty sure loaded for long hauls was damn close to 2 ton but I upgraded springs, wheels and tyres as the originals were rubbish I thought, anyway now we have Big Mal which has a max of 2.7 and a tare of 2.1 going by the plate ????, it tows just the same as the Old Tardis, behind the Colorado I really notice no major changes, if anything Mal tows better so I must have it balanced okay, only dragged it about 1000km to date so still in training.

With your tug suspension upgraded from the rubbish they get sold with, then with everything balanced correctly, you shouldn't notice much change with towing other than heavier it may need more pedal to get rolling and an adjustment on the brake controller, if you get a bit of porpoising then balance fore/aft can be out or WDH needs adjustment, arse end swinging been covered, digging in on cornering (not speeding) can be poor tyre pressure or again overload, it is a "How long is a piece of string"sort of thing.

In a nutshell once you get going down the road the van should just be following along behind if you feel it dragging or trying to push you around then something is not right, be it 1500kg or 3000kg you should hardly know it is there other than the obvious, see it in mirror, fuel gauge dropping quicker than normal or big winds etc.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
So take less crap is the answer then moving crap down the back :)

Yes I think we could all do that!

@Drover thanks for the info. I'll have to take notice of any changes as loads vary but might be just beginners luck and I got it set up pretty good from the get go.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
With my swan it was easy I just had enough room so no problem. With this big sucker I have a thing or two to learn as I have not towed something this big, hence searching around for more info and understanding. I'd be interested in looking at your spreadsheet to get a better idea of my weights if possible? Then I'll need the scales:)

Hi, I have tried to attach a copy of my spread sheet for you, but the site wont allow me to upload the spread sheet. You can pm me with your email address and I can send it to you for you to use. Once you enter the data, it will automatically calculate front, middle and rear weights as well as calculate remaining payload for your car and caravan.
Cheers
Nicl

Reactions: Sturah

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Heck that sounds good @Rockape, surely some cluey moderator can make it a sticky so we can all utilise your spreadsheet ?????.........I don't really want to know as it may be scary........................Should set one up myself but after making a setup for the shop balance sheet and BAS I swore never again.

I picked up the bag which held the annex for Big Mal and decided it can stay in the shed, too bloody heavy to lug around.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Heck that sounds good @Rockape, surely some cluey moderator can make it a sticky so we can all utilise your spreadsheet ?????.........I don't really want to know as it may be scary........................Should set one up myself but after making a setup for the shop balance sheet and BAS I swore never again.

I picked up the bag which held the annex for Big Mal and decided it can stay in the shed, too bloody heavy to lug around.
I am more than happy to post it up for everyone to use. just need to be able to.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: Dobbie and Sturah

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
What size expanda u getting didnt have much time to miss the swan it sold in 6 days went to brisbane camerland the new display model showed up there and bought it 3wks later was sitting in my yard pretty sure u may have taken photos of it
What size expanda u getting didnt have much time to miss the swan it sold in 6 days went to brisbane camerland the new display model showed up there and bought it 3wks later was sitting in my yard pretty sure u may have taken photos of it
we went with the 18.58-1 with the cafe lounge. It might well be yours in the photo's. I'd say you might have got the first in the state

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
Thanks for all this info guys. I'm looking forward to the spreadsheet as when I get the van I will load everything (minimal required) into the van and weight it all on the way in. This way I can start to build some of the knowledge shared above. I'll also be loading both tanks as our first trip away will be unpowered.

Cheers all!!!

Jamcor

Feb 29, 2016
Qld
U will probably find brisbane camperland will have both tanks full and they will go on a test drive with u on hand over (mine were full when picked up)

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
@Rockape
Hi Nick, im very close to getting my van so i have gone through our gear weighed it up, taken the car loaded with us to get weighed too. i have the detailed for the van and the car. i have stuck this all in your spread sheet if you could be kind enough to look through and comment on it please.
it is a great way to get a real understanding for what your putting in there.

im sure this is almost OCD but..........i cant help it.... stupid over analytical brain:(

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and then you will get it, pack it, go camping, chuck the spread sheets and forget all this over thinking stuff and find something called relaxation, which is what it is all about really................go fishing.

If not sell it all.................

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
Ha ha when I'm not taking the wife kids and kitchen sink. I take the swag.
SWAG That is relaxation. Or is it the lack of kids and wife that creates that?????

Reactions: Drover and dagree