18' Series Leaking Bed End

Constable Clan

Oct 5, 2013
muswellbrook
We have just had our first week end away in our 18.57.6 expanda! We arrived at or destination "Stockton caravan park", when setting up our Bed End we noticed that the Bed End canvas was WET & then also notice that the mattress was also damp. Has anyone else ever had this problem with their expanda Bed End? And yes I will be calling our local Jayco service centre tomorrow in regards to our " Wet Bed"
Regards Constable Clan.

Constable Clan

Oct 5, 2013
muswellbrook
Thank you I will be asking about the lid hinge steal as well tomorrow
it will leak through there even when closed if rain is heavy and not sealed properly
You may need to reseal the lid hinge!
it will leak through there even when closed if rain is heavy and not sealed properly, learnt from experience!

cheers[/QUOTE

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi @Constable Clan ,
Welcome to the forum, we have the same van, but a wet bed end is a common theme with the Expanda's. Given the moisture was there before you put the end down then sounds like the hinge like @hamish22 says.

Doesn't sound like the issue in this case, but one other area that can let moisture in is the canvas. Canvas will let moisture through if anything touches it from the inside, and when the end is down, that's your mattress. We have experienced this, I make sure the boss sleeps on that side. :)

If you search "wet bed ends" you will find a lot of info. Both on the hinge issue and the canvas.

Enjoy the forum lots of info and nice folk in here.

HM

Ps there is a meet organised for Cameron Corner for a statewide meet in September if you guys have time, Cameron corner is just up the road from you guys.. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PandaLee

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
Just a question in relation to bed end covers. Would it be best then to get a vinyl cover over a canvas one? Would vinyl help to keep water out if it rains while we are out camping?

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Just a question in relation to bed end covers. Would it be best then to get a vinyl cover over a canvas one? Would vinyl help to keep water out if it rains while we are out camping?
Hi @Ren77, probably doesn't matter which, vinyl will guarantee no moisture on the bed end canvas, but maybe a little heavier on the gas struts, the canvas ones wouldn't come into too much contact with the bed end canvas either, and people here swear by them. I think the covers are around $500+, some have made there own out of clear plastic.
Actually it was @hamish22 .....
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/water-proof-bed-ends.3449/page-2#post-52483

This is my plan also, Either clear plastic or even water proof shade cloth attached to the inside of the privacy screen. My plan is to set it up so they are rolled up inside the privacy screen. The plan sounds ok but haven't given it a crack yet, but to save $500 I am going to give it a red hot crack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren77

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
The three things I kept seeing people do mods for to get over design flaws, you think would be fixed by Jayco themselves.
1) Wet Bed Ends. How many aftermarket companies sell bed end add ons to fix a problem in design? You think Jayco would just start bringing them out with dual ones fitted.
2) Stupid zipper location on innerspring.
3) The fact the bed drops down as the cabinets are not the same freaking height
Actually the bottom two when we hired the Expanda helped push us to buy the Starcraft with fixed double.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Agree with item 1, Jayco could easily provide a waterproof option, makes really good sense they did.
As for 2 and 3 we haven't found them an issue, added a mattress topper and all good. We sleep well on the mattress.

HM

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Hi @Ren77, probably doesn't matter which, vinyl will guarantee no moisture on the bed end canvas, but maybe a little heavier on the gas struts, the canvas ones wouldn't come into too much contact with the bed end canvas either, and people here swear by them. I think the covers are around $500+, some have made there own out of clear plastic.
Actually, I no longer use the clear plastic as @Burnsy twisted my arm and we done a deal with Holiday Annexes for two front covers and made a great saving!8-)8-)8-) Clear plastic is still with me and will keep in case, you never Know!
It worked well and is a cheap easy solution and lets in lots of light!
@Holden_man there was probably a few other things I could have done to that cover to make it ideal but never got around to it!

The three things I kept seeing people do mods for to get over design flaws, you think would be fixed by Jayco themselves.
1) Wet Bed Ends. How many aftermarket companies sell bed end add ons to fix a problem in design? You think Jayco would just start bringing them out with dual ones fitted.
2) Stupid zipper location on innerspring.
3) The fact the bed drops down as the cabinets are not the same freaking height
Actually the bottom two when we hired the Expanda helped push us to buy the Starcraft with fixed double.

To be honest, the wet bed end (which was only a puddle on the canvas roof) on our van only came about due to insufficient selastic on the lid hinge! We have never suffered from dampness or wet mattress from rain getting in sideways or directly to the canvas but use a cover as reassurance!
Since lid reseal so far so good and with bed end cover I'd say ideal!

Either we are not fussy or were lucky but have never had an issue with the bed mattress!

Don't have a rear bed for number 3!

Reactions: Burnsy and Ren77

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
I had a similar problem and found that when the lid was closed the rubber seal was not contacting the opposite the surface, allowing rain to blow into the cavity while driving. I simply adjusted the latches and closed it on a peace of paper and try to pull it out to make sure I had a good seal. Worked a treat.

Constable Clan

Oct 5, 2013
muswellbrook
Thank you for your welcome & response "Holden man" yes I have just talked to jayco about my wet bed end/ mattress and their response is for another day. Your house must be a little simular to ours as I am the "boss" who sleeps on that side. So I will take your advice and look up " wet bed ends to see what can be done
Hi @Constable Clan ,
Welcome to the forum, we have the same van, but a wet bed end is a common theme with the Expanda's. Given the moisture was there before you put the end down then sounds like the hinge like @hamish22 says.

Doesn't sound like the issue in this case, but one other area that can let moisture in is the canvas. Canvas will let moisture through if anything touches it from the inside, and when the end is down, that's your mattress. We have experienced this, I make sure the boss sleeps on that side. :)

If you search "wet bed ends" you will find a lot of info. Both on the hinge issue and the canvas.

Enjoy the forum lots of info and nice folk in here.

HM

Ps there is a meet organised for Cameron Corner for a statewide meet in September if you guys have time, Cameron corner is just up the road from you guys.. :)
THANK YOU FOR YOUR WELCOME AND RESPONCE

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I had a similar problem and found that when the lid was closed the rubber seal was not contacting the opposite the surface, allowing rain to blow into the cavity while driving. I simply adjusted the latches and closed it on a peace of paper and try to pull it out to make sure I had a good seal. Worked a treat.

We had same in heavy rain while travelling.

Jayco added a second seal along the length of the lid at the top to help seal during transit.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Thank you for your welcome & response "Holden man" yes I have just talked to jayco about my wet bed end/ mattress and their response is for another day. Your house must be a little simular to ours as I am the "boss" who sleeps on that side. So I will take your advice and look up " wet bed ends to see what can be done
THANK YOU FOR YOUR WELCOME AND RESPONCE
@Constable Clan, resealing the hinge either side is something you can do very easily yourself!
I was hesitant at first but I reckon in the end I did a better job than the manufacturer considering its mine and I wanted it to be neat!