16' Series Just picked up our new 16.49.4

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
After a 4 month wait we finally picked our new van. It was a couple of weeks late due to it apparently ha ving extra quality checks ( god help those that don't get extra checks)
The van is all good but has a few minor issues which will be fixed on its first service in a few months .
Some of the decals are wonky as are the vents for the hot water and ac which I find frustrating more than anything else.
The jack for the fan on the front bed is missing.
What I would like to know though is there supposed to be a clamp on the front bed end to keep it secured. There is one on the rear and at hand over the sales guy said jayco don't put it on the front. But the base of the front bed end is quite damaged as it's obvisiously been rubbing on the front door hinge and the aluminium angle is almost worn through. It doesn't affect the van or it's use but it's just rough and for $42000 I would expect better.

Reactions: Chooky

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Congratulations on the handover finally. We ordered our 16-49-4 in May last year and handover in sept due to floor issues. Have you planned your Shakedown trip? Also pics please. Would love to see the difference in 2015 if any.

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
After a 4 month wait we finally picked our new van. It was a couple of weeks late due to it apparently ha ving extra quality checks ( god help those that don't get extra checks)
The van is all good but has a few minor issues which will be fixed on its first service in a few months .
Some of the decals are wonky as are the vents for the hot water and ac which I find frustrating more than anything else.
The jack for the fan on the front bed is missing.
What I would like to know though is there supposed to be a clamp on the front bed end to keep it secured. There is one on the rear and at hand over the sales guy said jayco don't put it on the front. But the base of the front bed end is quite damaged as it's obvisiously been rubbing on the front door hinge and the aluminium angle is almost worn through. It doesn't affect the van or it's use but it's just rough and for $42000 I would expect better.
Our front bed end does not have a catch on it either but have seen no evidence of it moving either.
Maybe some others on here can comment if their bed ends rub on the front or not?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @youngy73 Welcome and congrats on the sparkly new van. No expanda front beds have a retainer. The rear bed has one because its vertical and will fall down and hit you on the head when the lid is opened ... the front bed tilting back is Jaycos solution there. Ive had 2 expandas and Ive removed the out side edge slither of mattress on them because I find it a nuisance with no real function, and makes packing up easier.

At pack up I slide the front mattress slightly toward the outside of the bed base before strapping it, that gives the inside edge of the mattress more room when the bed base is lifted up and pushed past the vertical, the bed base then tends not to spring back so much against the closed lid

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
Welcome @youngy73 good score on your van.
as @Crusty181 said, the front bed on the pandas sits tilted back, hence no need to have the retainer clip.
i think @dagree fitted on, but only as he was scared........ hahaha
Thanks for the replies. My van needs a retaining clip on the front as after 20 Kms from delivery the damage is done. Anymore the wear on the aluminium base and the bed end canvas will wear.
Another question is regarding the checker plate. Is it normal to have several joins in it. It just looks wrong and a bit rough in its finishing

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
My 16.49-2 never had a clip on the front. And the joins are pretty standard I think in the checker plate. My starcraft has a few.
Can you post a photo of the damage? Sounds like something isn't right.

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 137

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I think that's a different set up to my old (2008) hardlid. Doesn't look right. Someone here will be sure to give you a better steer. Is it sitting right in? I used to have to push the canvass in and adjust the mattress inside to make sure the bed leaned right back flush against the caravan body.

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
  • I think that's a different set up to my old (2008) hardlid. Doesn't look right. Someone here will be sure to give you a better steer. Is it sitting right in? I used to have to push the canvass in and adjust the mattress inside to make sure the bed leaned right back flush against the caravan body.
Went down to jayco today and showed the sales guy where the lid is damaging the bed end. They had another brand new 16 footer and a 17 footer and the damage is evident on both these vans. Design fault on the new door lids I reckon. 3 vans, same damage....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Went down to jayco today and showed the sales guy where the lid is damaging the bed end. They had another brand new 16 footer and a 17 footer and the damage is evident on both these vans. Design fault on the new door lids I reckon. 3 vans, same damage....
That will be an interesting issue to follow

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Thanks for the replies. My van needs a retaining clip on the front as after 20 Kms from delivery the damage is done. Anymore the wear on the aluminium base and the bed end canvas will wear.
Another question is regarding the checker plate. Is it normal to have several joins in it. It just looks wrong and a bit rough in its finishing

sounds like a definite fault with the design of the new lids...

are Jayco going to replace the Lid for you?

Reactions: dagree

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
sounds like a definite fault with the design of the new lids...

are Jayco going to replace the Lid for you?
Not sure how they are going to proceed as yet but if they don't fix it up it will soon wear through the aluminium and then tear the canvas so I can see this being a costly exercise for them as this will be the same on every van produced. We have a few little trips planned over he next 6 weeks so will use the van and see what other little things crop up. Overall I'm just happy to have the van but there are a few little issues which will be resolved. We ordered the extended draw bar which is a bit of a con really as it's the same draw bar just welded 300 mm further forward on the van chassis. Or Atleast that's what it looks like when you compare it to a standard van.
A couple of the vents are not straight and the jack for the fan is missing from the front light.
I can't get the fridge to work on 240 but I'm not sure if it's plugged in because I can't seem to locate the lead for it. Any ideas?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
is your fridge on the door side or the other side?
(not sure with the shower model............)

mine (non shower) is on the other side, and the plug (240v) is under the sink area

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Have a good look at all 240 sockets around the fridge...on side panels and in back storage area. We couldn't get fridge to work on AC after we collected van; checked with dealer and with dometic and no reasonable explanation then someone suggested we check 240 plugs turned on.

Bingo! Someone had turned fridge off at dealership when safe was fitted inside back boot.

Makes life easier when you know where they connect bits and pieces...and fridges.

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
Have a good look at all 240 sockets around the fridge...on side panels and in back storage area. We couldn't get fridge to work on AC after we collected van; checked with dealer and with dometic and no reasonable explanation then someone suggested we check 240 plugs turned on.

Bingo! Someone had turned fridge off at dealership when safe was fitted inside back boot.

Makes life easier when you know where they connect bits and pieces...and fridges.
Everything we can find is plugged in and on.

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
On our van (2014 16.49-4) the GPO Is under the drawers under the cook top. It Is inside the bottom door that opens down on the left around where the wheel arch is. We don't have the oven if that changes the set up. There are 2 points, one for the electric hot plate and one for the frig.

Of late, our overhead cupboard door hinges have been breaking. The hinge screws are coming out of the cupboard door because the spring that keeps the door up is way to strong / firm and puts a lot of pressure on the hinge. Anyone else having issues with that?

Reactions: Delano