14' Series Jtech Suspension

TheEddies

Nov 28, 2015
The Gap Brisbane
Our Jtech suspension has just cost us a tyre. I noticed unusual wear on our trip up north from Brisbane and in Katherine contacted Jayco. I was refered to Neil Engineering Katherine who charged me $100 for an alignment and was told , sorry the suspension is so badly twisted that it could not be realigned, I would need new suspension parts. Contacted Jayco Darwin and was told to bring it to Darwin. Then I needed to book it in, a 2 week wait. Two weeks in Darwin waiting for assistance. The lovelly Kelly managed to bring it forward 2 days and we are now waiting. Have any one else had alignment problems with the Jtech suspension.

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
Our Jtech suspension has just cost us a tyre. I noticed unusual wear on our trip up north from Brisbane and in Katherine contacted Jayco. I was refered to Neil Engineering Katherine who charged me $100 for an alignment and was told , sorry the suspension is so badly twisted that it could not be realigned, I would need new suspension parts. Contacted Jayco Darwin and was told to bring it to Darwin. Then I needed to book it in, a 2 week wait. Two weeks in Darwin waiting for assistance. The lovelly Kelly managed to bring it forward 2 days and we are now waiting. Have any one else had alignment problems with the Jtech suspension.
Did you have your first 1000 km service if so tyres normally show straight away if the wheel alignment is that far out.Normally jayco are good as long as you do the 1000km or 3 months service and of cause the 10000km or 12 month service before the end of the 12 month warranty.I don't think they cover tyre wear especially if it hasn't had a service the suspension should be covered if faulty.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I had an issue with excessive tyre wear on the front LH tyre.

Took it to get aligned at a truck alignment place. Front left was way out 19 degrees, front right out 6 degrees.

The aligner was not happy that it didn't have the appropriate camber adjustment so couldn't align it fully, but got it as close as he could.

Seems to be a common issue with JTech from other posts I have read

TheEddies

Nov 28, 2015
The Gap Brisbane
Did you have your first 1000 km service if so tyres normally show straight away if the wheel alignment is that far out.Normally jayco are good as long as you do the 1000km or 3 months service and of cause the 10000km or 12 month service before the end of the 12 month warranty.I don't think they cover tyre wear especially if it hasn't had a service the suspension should be covered if faulty.
Yes had 1000km service done by Camperland then the the next by B & B Caravans.

Gary Page

Nov 22, 2014
Sydney
I had alignment problem after hitting a cattle grate a little to fast. My front L/H wheel was out about 5mm I ended up in Bundaberg Jayco and they realigned and back in service after an hour. 1 tyre scrubbed but is suitable as a spare. my 17-56-2OB has done about 40,000K so I can't complain.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Well after having a good look today I'll have to find someone near us to do a wheel alignment.
The front left tyre is worn unevenly more on the outside . The 3 others look good .
So I'll need to find someone close to do the alignment.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As with all things suspension and steering it is far more reliable to use a professional, for the vans that means someone who does truck aligns, cheaper in the long run....for your tug use a steering shop, you will save money in the long run, you need decent gear to get it right and people who know whats, what.......

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
As with all things suspension and steering it is far more reliable to use a professional, for the vans that means someone who does truck aligns, cheaper in the long run....for your tug use a steering shop, you will save money in the long run, you need decent gear to get it right and people who know whats, what.......
I used pro axle to get mine done. Cost over $400 but these guys knew their stuff and had all of the necessary gear to do the job.

My local tyre place actually laughed when I asked them if they could align a caravan. They are now my former tyre guys.

http://www.pro-axle.com.au/mobile-home/

Reactions: KECL and MDS69

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Just did 8000km with our 2015 14.44.5 OB JTech around 700 k on corrugated and off road tracks with no unusual tyre wear all good so far -touch wood

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well after having a good look today I'll have to find someone near us to do a wheel alignment.
The front left tyre is worn unevenly more on the outside . The 3 others look good .
So I'll need to find someone close to do the alignment.
I get my caster and camber mixed up. Its the camber that has no adjustment, not the caster which has some adjustment.

I picked up our van from the dealer, in for some last minute warranty work a few week before we left for our 14mth big trip. I reversed the van outside the roller door of my then empty factory, on a bright sunny day. Looking from the back of the factory at the van in the sun, I could clearly see all 4 of the independent axles were each out of horizontal by varying amounts. ie camber was out or they would had to have welded the stub axle on an angle. Not one of the trailing arms was horizontal. I rushed the van back to the dealer fearing our soon to launched big lap had hit a massive structural suspension hurdle.

That's when the whole JTech adjustment story unfolded. No camber adjustment and the dealer adjusts the caster (toe-in) with a tape measure and a square piece of ply held flat against the tyre; measuring the distance of the ply from the chassis front and back of the tyre and adjusting the caster accordingly. Very primitive, but our tyres havent scrubbed out after this high tech method. With the inherent natural tendency for dual axles to be scrubbing on every bend and corner anyway, Im not convinced finite alignment precision is going to help long term ... particularly with us tending to miss every turn off and POI, and requiring 100's of "U" turns.

Long story short there are very few JTech Jaycos with horizontal trailing arms. Some have huge variations in their off camber. At the dealer I looked at 12 new dual JTech vans on display, and found only 2 of the 12 I looked at anywhere near horizontal, with some way worse than mine.

With the seemingly randomly out of camber trailing arm and no mechanism for adjustment, a large percentage of JTech Jaycos all running aruond Oz all out of camber. Our of of camber is obviously not catastrophic because in our 40,000 kms, that out of camber trailing arm doesn't seem to have had any compounding issues on our tyre wear. But any significant out of caster, compounded with significant out of camber would probably result in accelerated interior or exterior edge scrubbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: norm walker 1

Scrounger

Oct 7, 2016
Shoalhaven
This will sound dumb and might not be relevant but hear goes. Jayco 2016 18-58-2
I just returned from 13k trip luckily only one of my tyres is scrubbing out, rear passenger side so I figure I'll fix it while up the Territory.
I got under and had a good look before getting the spanners out, interestingly the three good wheels all had the adjusting bolt's cam disk in almost millimetre perfect visual alignment, the scrubber is clearly visually out by 1/8 to 1/6 of a turn.
I was unable to release the lock nut to adjust the J- tech even with a 2 foot break bar so had to wait till got home, now again failed to release the nut with even bigger bar so off to mates workshop to try the rattle gun.
I will when I get the lock nut off adjust to the same cam location as my other three wheels then suck it n see.
The location of the cam disk may have no relevance at all but 3 out of 4 is to much of a coincidence for me to rule out.

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 651

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
This will sound dumb and might not be relevant but hear goes. Jayco 2016 18-58-2
I just returned from 13k trip luckily only one of my tyres is scrubbing out, rear passenger side so I figure I'll fix it while up the Territory.
I got under and had a good look before getting the spanners out, interestingly the three good wheels all had the adjusting bolt's cam disk in almost millimetre perfect visual alignment, the scrubber is clearly visually out by 1/8 to 1/6 of a turn.
I was unable to release the lock nut to adjust the J- tech even with a 2 foot break bar so had to wait till got home, now again failed to release the nut with even bigger bar so off to mates workshop to try the rattle gun.
I will when I get the lock nut off adjust to the same cam location as my other three wheels then suck it n see.
The location of the cam disk may have no relevance at all but 3 out of 4 is to much of a coincidence for me to rule out.
The cam disc's are how the alignment place adjusted them, so very relavent