Jockey wheel

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I did that @Curryhouse , had a spare, just cut the wheel mount off and welded a 125 x 125mm bit of plate to the bottom, was okay but still wobbled so still put a jack stand under the draw bar for better stability when up high.................have found if I need to push Big Mal sideways slightly a gentle nudge with the bull bar does it with one set of wheels chocked.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Too much dollars for a Trailer Mate for really not a lot of use I reckon and the weight, my god don't forget the weight of the things......:ambivalence:

Reactions: achjimmy and dagree

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi everyone,
What are your thoughts on the Trail-A-Mate Jack and Jockey? Thinking of getting one but want to know of any bad/good experiences first. Thanks so much!

Hi @Sarah Bennett, I picked up a Trail a mate a bit over a year ago, and love it.

I had a problem where std jockey wheel wasn't quite long enough, and I needed to chock the van and reposition the jockey wheel whenever I wanted to level the van.

The trailamate has a much higher lift than the jockey wheel and completely solved this problem for me.

I got the smaller model so it fits into the standard clamp on the draw bar.

It's also much easier to lift and lower, so my wife can now easily operate it.

The only negative is the weight of the entire unit, it's quite heavy to lift and store, but even with that I love mine.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @Sarah Bennett .... Totaly agree with @Bellbirdweb with his comments above.

The main reason I got one was due to the jockey wheel handle hitting the aluminium box when we fitted it and didn't want to move the jockey wheel clamp.... Given the opportunity again I would invest in one just for the convenience (Mrs Dagree can use it ;) )

If you do get one and intend leaving it in situ when traveling make sure you get one of THESE or make something similar as they have a tendancy to lower themselves while moving!

Last edited: