Just Browsing Jayco fixing things outside warranty (good will)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I had my first experience with getting something repaired outside of warranty under good will and thought it would be a good topic to show why we buy Jayco's. A couple of examples I know others have had was @Smergen with his wheels on his outback cracked and got all replaced and @Burnsy with his shower walls yellowing and getting replaced. Maybe they can chime in with more details as to what was involved? I recall someones roof and quite a few bed end lids. Whilst I know people say it shouldn't happen in the first place it is nice when they back their product. It will be good to hear others and what they had repaired and how easy or hard it was to get done.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Some of you may recall I had a overheating wheel when returning home from Sydney in Sept. I discovered the wheel hot just outside Holbrook at a toilet stop on the Hume and after it cooled drove the short distance into Holbrook and had NRMA come and look at it. They couldnt fix it and we spent the night at the CP there and had the Holden dealership look at it first thing on the Monday morning.
They didnt find anything wrong with the wheel and bearing was fine but backed off the brake a little more. We drove home with it being ok but still not right and heating a bit, not happy with finding nothing we got into Jayco Ballarat a couple weeks later for a service and check all brakes and bearings.
I picked the van up the same day and drove to work and found the same wheel was really hot again! So I took it straight back around to them. They tried a few things and found the backinging plate or drum was no good. I let them know I wasn't impressed and how I was already out of pocket for the NRMA , overnight stay at Holbrook and having the Holden mechanics look at it. They said they would try Jayco for goodwill. No good!!!!
I rang Jayco head office and was told it wasn't their problem it was a Alko problem??? So I thought bugger it and rang them. Alko were very helpful and wanted to help and told me to get the service dept to ring them and over the next couple of weeks it was finally fixed and no charge to me:). So whilst it wasn't easy it was worthwhile and would like to thank Ballarat Jayco and Alko for getting it fixed for me.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Good result @17triton. I have a few 'triggers' that raise my blood pressure and thats one of them
I rang Jayco head office and was told it wasn't their problem it was a Alko problem???
I would accept that if Jayco hadn't been supplied by Alko and passed it directly to me without making a profit from me on the deal. My philosophy is as soon as you had a margin to an stock item, you now own the issues that may pop up down the track. Its a very convenient throw off many retailers use, but in your case you didn't buy it from Alko .... Jayco did. Jayco my have an issue with their supplier (Alko), but your issue is with your supplier, Jayco, who owned and supplied the product.

Thats how it works in the building industry. Everyones issues and failures are ALL my responsibility. The buck stops with me and I have absolutely zero throw off to anyone. VCAT has reiterated that time over time over time. I can, and do, chase the problem trades .... but only after I have to rectify the failure first.

But all that said I agree with your initial comments, issues will always pop up. Travelling around I heard a handful of horror stories of other manufacturers dodging major structural failures just out of the warranty period. Jayco may have its issues, but Ive never heard anyone bagging Jayco warranty.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Great idea @17triton...

I have two examples of out of warranty good will undertaken by Ballarat Jayco as well. For a bit of context, we bought our van 2nd hand privately, last year in 2014. It's a 2012 build 17.56.2 so out of warranty and not even bought from the dealership.

1) When we took the van in for it's last service, we mentioned that we thought the roof was particularly heavy to lift. Jayco pointed out the newer models had slightly different lifters and they'd replace them free of charge and as good will. It has made it a little easier indeed, but to be honest I think the double panels and aircon had more to do with it!

2) We noticed a few months into ownership that our spare was dead flat. Took it to local tyre shop who said the rim was cracked, but they did a minor repair which should see it through until I could bring it up with Jayco. Given I carry the compressor when I travel, I didn't see this as too much of a risk. Then I noticed a tyre on the van had started to develop a slow leak. Changing that with the spare I took it to aforementioned tyre shop who pointed out yet another cracked rim. Enough was enough, and we took pics and talked it through with Jayco Ballarat. They rang HQ and then ordered a full set of wheels (5) which were dutifully replaced without charge. Sure it took a little while to sort out, but it was sorted out nevertheless.

Like mentioned, should these things happen? No. But show me any manufacturer of any product that has a 100% perfect product with no issues or warranty claims. Particularly given the number of things that go into a caravan in terms of mechanicals, plumbing, wiring, comms, cabinetry, etc.

So I can't fault their follow up service to their customers from my experience and it's why as we look for our next van Jayco essentially have "first right of reply" when it comes to options and matching deals.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I wonder about whether its Jayco or the dealer doing the right thing. At my first annual service I had a big argument with the dealer about repairs and the van was still in warranty. Back in for its second service and I have listed several repairs that I have suggested are warranty. That is bits that should not fail or fall off after 2 years. The dealer doesn't want to know and the debate goes on. Might get my van back next week.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Fair point Dove, and I wonder how these things work elsewhere. But I've had nothing but good things from my experience with Jayco Ballarat.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
The thing the gives me the irrits is the 1 year warranty in the first place. 1 year and most people only get 4-5 weeks off plus weekends to use it. Not a lot is it? Most car manufacturers offer a minimum of 3 years alot give 5 and you use the cars everyday almost.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The thing the gives me the irrits is the 1 year warranty in the first place. 1 year and most people only get 4-5 weeks off plus weekends to use it. Not a lot is it? Most car manufacturers offer a minimum of 3 years alot give 5 and you use the cars everyday almost.
Excellent point. A colleague purchased a new (not Jayco) van around the same time as we did, and refused to use the shower or toilet or pump etc etc. I mentioned he was insane .... I get not using it down the track, but give it the flogging in the first 12 months or you may well find its never worked and can no longer get it fixed.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We had a problem with the range hood in our first expanda 2005 .
The toaster would always set off the smoke detector even when under the range hood while on .
I finally removed the filters and looked at how it was plumbed up and the thing was never going to work.
The fan just moved the air around and couldn't exhaust it outside the way it was . It was way out of warranty by now but a few pics and an email to jayco and they organised prestige to do the work on fixing it with no charge .
We have had 2 new vans come to the dealers with the wrong DVD/cd players installed and both times they have come to our house to wire in and fit the correct model to save us taking the van back to the dealer some 100 odd k's away ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We had a problem with the range hood in our first expanda 2005 .
The toaster would always set off the smoke detector even when under the range hood while on .
I finally removed the filters and looked at how it was plumbed up and the thing was never going to work.
The fan just moved the air around and couldn't exhaust it outside the way it was . It was way out of warranty by now but a few pics and an email to jayco and they organised prestige to do the work on fixing it with no charge .
We have had 2 new vans come to the dealers with the wrong DVD/cd players installed and both times they have come to our house to wire in and fit the correct model to save us taking the van back to the dealer some 100 odd k's away ..
Jaycos are renown for the range hoods not matching up with the external vents

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Yes, I agree, we have now had 4 jaycos, have had issues with all of them. Our dealer had no problem with fixing anything I asked for. Yes, they shouldn't come to us like that, but most car/ caravan manufacturers aren't interested after the warranty, sometimes not that keen In the warranty period. For value for money and after sales service I couldn't be happier with jayco...

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I wonder about whether its Jayco or the dealer doing the right thing. At my first annual service I had a big argument with the dealer about repairs and the van was still in warranty. Back in for its second service and I have listed several repairs that I have suggested are warranty. That is bits that should not fail or fall off after 2 years. The dealer doesn't want to know and the debate goes on. Might get my van back next week.

Picked up the van this morning. Everything I asked to be fixed had been done. All service staff very helpful. Just got home and put the cover on before the rain arrived. I would have to say I'm a happy camper. Even the tyres were blackened and tow coupling resprayed. A very neat job.

Reactions: dagree and Delano

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Picked up the van this morning. Everything I asked to be fixed had been done. All service staff very helpful. Just got home and put the cover on before the rain arrived. I would have to say I'm a happy camper. Even the tyres were blackened and tow coupling resprayed. A very neat job.
When we got ours serviced we had a list of what they do from jayco . One thing was repaint the brake drums and I laughed and told my wife I don't think they will but I'll check when we pic it up . I couldn't believe it they did just something I wouldn't have thought to do