18' Series Jayco 18.58-2 OB ordered.

rambler_perth

Jul 30, 2017
Perth
Hello,
First time poster and user of this forum - great information for a newbie.
I have ordered an 18.58-2 OB with Club Lounge and will receive delivery in late September.
Question: What recommended checklist should I go through in my handover - considering I haven't owned a caravan before and i am by no means an expert - but what are the main items/issues I should be looking out for in the handover?

cheers!

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
make sure everything works... lights turn them all on and off from all the locations (inside and out) if you have the jhub make sure its working properly (lights, temperature etc) hot water heater. then look for faults in the workmanship (warped panels no silicone/too much silicone) tears etc etc

make sure all you addons are there. check the wires to the water tank, my rear tank wire is so tight if anything hits it it will break.... i am making them change it at first service. open all the boot doors etc make sure they all work

aside from that you will probably find a few things on your first trip or 2

enjoy!!!

Sergio

Reactions: Smirke and Maximage

Linton

Apr 20, 2017
Kalgoorlie
Congrats!
We picked up ours in early June, and same, an 18.58-2 OB, and from Caravanland in Maddington.
To be honest, the handover was a bit of a blur - functionality of everything is demonstrated, with warnings about what to do and not to do to keep the gear in good shape. There was way too much to digest in the 2 hours allocated to the handover, and it became an exercise in trying to absorb as much as possible on where everything is and how to operate it. So we were still re-discovering things after our second 4-day trip out. So far we haven't damaged anything by misuse.

After you've picked it up, you'll find the Jayco user manual and video next to useless. The product manuals - fridge,a/c, tv etc are better, but there is a lot of gear and installation (tanks, water retic, waste retic, electrical, etc) which are not covered in detail by a manual. So understanding how everything works becomes an exercise in ferreting around inside and under the van to trace things.

If you haven't already, you'll be asked to sign an order form with everything in your order listed. That is the time to go through everything with a fine tooth comb and connect what you were quoted on paper, what you understood verbally, with what is going to be supplied to you. You will be very heavily discouraged from changing anything on that document once you sign it, so ask if you are not sure of anything.

We are out-of-towners, so on our trip to Perth included a shopping list of things we needed to buy for it at the same time. If you are in Perth, you should maybe hold off on that - the 10% discount at the Toyshop lasts for 12 months anyway. Just concentrate on the handover.

We have not found anything malfunctioning as yet, though we haven't given it much of a run on dirt yet either. There is a 12 month warranty for you to have things replaced if need be. We are planning a 2 week trip which includes several hundred k of dirt road, in Sept Oct, so suspecting that will reveal some things.

I had to have a 12pin rectangular socket fitted to my vehicle, plus a break controller. This all cost about $1000 which I was not expecting. The 12 pin system is basically a piggy-back arrangement of a normal 7 pin rectangular trailer plug, with 5 extra terminals on a second layer to take heavy ampage stuff. After much mucking about in phone calls between my auto-electrician and Caravanland, it turns out that only terminals 9 and 10 only are used in this second layer- to run the fridge, the rest not connected. Two auto-electricians plus another Jayco Outback owner I ran into said that that setup is a bad idea. The plug is not built to take the current drawn by the fridge, and will heat and burn out sooner rather than later. Also, while the recommendation is for that circuit (9-10) to be connected directly to the battery, my sparky talked me into putting a relay in between, so that if I stop the vehicle and walk away for more than 20 mins without turning the fridge over to gas, I wont come back to a flat vehicle battery. Apparently the original wiring for these vans comprised a 7-pin plug to do all the trailer and brake stuff, and a separate Anderson plug for the fridge circuit. After taking delivery of it from Jayco in Vic, Caravanland won't change the setup back to that, and you can't take delivery if you don't have a corresponding 12 pin socket fitted to the vehicle. I'll be replacing mine with a 7 pin plus Anderson plug set up after warranty runs out - don't fancy having to deal with that when we really are out back.

Long term we are fitting it up for a 12 month tour around next June, including a month at each end on the Gibb River road. Still gathering info on what is needed for that.
Hope that all helps. Have fun!
Linton

rambler_perth

Jul 30, 2017
Perth
That new 12-pin setup is useless. The old 7-pin and good Andersen plug with proper sized cabling from front of car is a much better option.
Interested to know why this 12 pin is useless (is it because the other pins are not in use?) Jayco Caravanland recommended a local company to fit my redarc breakcontroller and jayco 12 pin plug which i have seen on a few caravans. They put in the isolation relay and from what i can see did a good job...but I am no expert. So what problems can I expect with this setup (id expect the wiring they used when fitting the car should be good quality)? And why would the dealer/jayco recommend this setup if you say it's useless?

After reading up on the above, I asked my installer about the 12 pins getting hot and vs the Anderson Plug. Here is his reply:

I have experienced the plugs melting, but only when they are poorly installed, poorly terminated into pin locations and the wiring over sized for the power supplies.

We only use 6mm wire on the 12 pin plugs, which is only capable of delivering 30AMPS max which is totally fine for the plug pins. The idea of the supply is to allow you to run your fridge on 12V while traveling not essentially to charge your battery. Your fridge may on average draw 4 AMPS per HR so the supply is to trickle into the house battery to keep it topped up. If you wanted to charge your house battery then you would need a DC to DC charger.

Last edited:

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Mainly for the reason he said, vast majority of the time it's not done well, either under or over sized cables and poor connections.

From a personal POV, on longer free camping trips I do want to be able to fully charge the house batteries on a drive from the car, so the Anderson is necessary. Also if you want to backcharge solar generation from either caravan panels or from free standing panels then you'll need an Anderson.

Gives you plenty of more options, ability to run more power, and IMO better designed. Less likely for poor connections on drives with an Andersen than a 12-plug.

But each to their own. Lots of things Jayco has 'recommended' as ideal that have later been seen to be not the best and discontinued.

Depends on your setup, style of camping and setup of tow rig. I see it being useful for a on-road caravan, not an OutBack, especially if being used 'outback.'

Also, he is incorrect that you need a DC-DC charger to charge the house battery. Maybe for some cars, but definitely not for my Prado.

rambler_perth

Jul 30, 2017
Perth
Thanks for all the tips so far - great forum!

Received a call from CaravanLand today and the family is excited to be picking up the van next Tuesday. I asked the friendly Daniel to give me a couple teaser photos of the Van in the workshop so thought I'd share. Shiny and new!

I'm thinking I'll record the whole hand over with an iPad as I'll only remember the first 1 or 2 instructions they give me...

Connie-1.jpg

Connie-2.jpg

Can't wait to see how the Discovery goes towing this beast.

Attachments

• Connie-1.jpg
    Connie-1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Connie-2.jpg
    Connie-2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 237