Internet purchases, quality, warranty, service, what are your experiences?

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Just wondering about others experiences with buying stuff online?

We buy a lot of stuff online because we live remote. A lot of things can't be purchased here. We have had extremely variable experiences. :):(:):):):(>:(:):):D

We love buying bits and pieces from China for a few dollars....and waiting between 3-7 weeks for it to arrive.......Sort of like a lucky dip......you never know what's in the package cause delivery times are all over the place,:p;)8-):o especially when you use the same ebay account as the better half and your waiting, waiting, waiting, and then get a princess tiara instead of an electrical crimper........Then. bugger it all you have to discretely repack it so no one knows that you opened it....cause that would just totally destroy their surprise if they knew you knew what was in the packet:bolt:......Life gets difficult when you live with all girls:blah::blah::blah:.......

Has anyone noticed much of a difference between buying and being delivered from China/HongKong versus buying China made from Australia based suppliers???

Last edited:

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
We, I buy lots of stuff online, my wife goes crook so much stuff arriving at times and expecting something to come and something else turns up that you had forgotten you had purchased. Yep.
Have had some dodgy sellers I bought a led torch from China and they sent me some stockings just so they had tracking and proof of delivery, they didn't fit me so the went in the bin.
Mostly been pretty happy with the experience but can't work out why it is quicker to get stuff from Hong Kong than WA and cost of freight is next to nothing.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Buy a fair bit online but try to stay in Oz, have ordered some parts for my chain saw from HK and they took bloody weeks to get here, used to order bits for my Jeep from USA and they would get here quicker than something from Melb, actually was quicker from US east coast to Bne than Bne to Toowoomba (100km ).
Always buy with Paypal though as no details being sent god knows where and if you get shafted at least you don't loose the dough.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We call online deLiveries....Santa Claus cos it's a surprise when they come and they have to be unwrapped to find out what we ordered....and it happens all year.

Some experiences:

Bought a battery power pack from China. Half the price, twice the capacity as those available locally. Very pleased.

Some I'm still waiting for...there must be a big waste bin in Chinese ports.

MP3 players...not good experiences as they are rubbish but the people you contact to ask simple questions won't give an inch or instructions. I had a dialogue with one for over 6 months where we both got stubborn ...I had more fun with the complaint than with the product.

I won't even describe my one experience with ordering clothing. Chinese people are much smaller than me!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Although some so called Aussie shops are just fronts to China so the goods come straight from China not Australia.
Yes been caught out waiting months for something :)

We buy lots of crap online now even from places like Target sometimes cheaper and easier :)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I priced a camera on line, then went to the good guys with the website. They checked it was available, matched the price including delivery and I save nearly $70 over their original price and I have a local supplier and warranty.. Very happy. :D:D:D

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Depends on the product
I recently replaced all the old globes in the Van
At the local Caravan shop the globes were $22 each
On the net they were $5 each (from Hong Kong) and it took 3 weeks to get here
but when I had 13 globes to do a couple of hundred less was worth the 2 weeks wait.
As said before use paypal and if it has not arrived within the (45 days I think) claim for a refund via paypal.

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
Same as above we live 100km from nearest regional centre, so we either wait till where in town and get what's required or buy little bit online. Really depends if it can wait or if need to see the product before we buy.
Almost always buy through Aust seller, at least this way some money stays in Oz and definatly use PayPal.
Generally haven't had much of a problem with wrong item turning up, but always buy through seller with very high positive feedback!

Reactions: Dobbie and Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I stopped buying from Aust sellers fleabay

they dont leave feedback - "oh, if you leave some, we will leave some"
sorry, you are supposed to leave me feedback about my paying on time

they either "sorry, currently out of stock" or "sorry, that one is discontinued"
um, why did you advertise it for sale then...........?? should you not have what you are trying to sell........... can you spell "FRAUD"

send to the wrong address, then I have to chase it
had one go to a similar address in another state
I had to chase it, as according to paypal & fleabay it was sent to my address

not send it at all, and close shop
had that happen a few times -

yes I check feedback
yes I try and find a better seller if there is any kind of problems with their feedback

sod them
rather buy from China - if I do my money, atleast I'm not loosing as much as from an Aussie "seller"

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I once brought a cast iron Angel from a Village outside of Lubin (Poland)
from off ebay UK website, I payed via paypal - takes 3 days for money transfer
next day, they left feed back, and sent the Angel, 7 days, and it was delivered to my place

I once brought some tail lights for a HZ Holden sedan from a seller in Qld
paid the money via Paypal
5 weeks later, I get a set of tail lights for a HQ Holden sedan, after many many emails with no answer..............
couldn't get my money back as they "closed up shop"

I will buy international before I buy from an Aussie seller
something about the Australian "She'll be right mate.............................."

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I sell on ebay, as soon as I receive the money, I give feedback. Can't work out why some sellers don't, buyer has kept up there end of the bargain and paid, what more can they do?
If a seller does not give me feedback, I don't bother giving feedback to them. Buyer feedback is lame anyway as only positive feedback can be given.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I think some eBay sellers are punting and don't really check or follow up.

Feedback / sales numbers are a good indicator but not perfect.

I ordered an electric pressure cooker from an Aussie seller and had to wait about three weeks for it. It was a lemon and had to negotiate for replacement parts or total replacement...that took another 6 weeks. By the time I let eBay sort it out winter was over and I'd lost interest in pressure cookers

End result was a full refund, I still have the item as seller couldn't be bothered organising return and I only persisted as I was stubborn....and annoyed.

I find Hong Kong sellers of electrical stuff quite good ...and they communicate.

Lots of Aussie sellers are really reliable and getting far more competitive so we really need to support them if price and specs are right.

It's all a market place and you'll always get goodies and rogues.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Still waiting for Bairnsdale Electrics (AKA AutoElec on Ebay) to do something about my warranty. Sent a Redarc solar controller back to them, have sent emails every couple weeks for details of what's happening and not a whisper 6 weeks latter. Think I did it as a guest on Ebay so the paypal thingy isn't a go unfortunately. Am going have to ensure I Paypal everything in the future.

They've got my money. That's all that matters I suppose.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Still waiting for Bairnsdale Electrics (AKA AutoElec on Ebay) to do something about my warranty. Sent a Redarc solar controller back to them, have sent emails every couple weeks for details of what's happening and not a whisper 6 weeks latter. Think I did it as a guest on Ebay so the paypal thingy isn't a go unfortunately. Am going have to ensure I Paypal everything in the future.

They've got my money. That's all that matters I suppose.
I've bought stuff of them and they've been good so far

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
I emailed Redarc to see if it was returned to them under warranty and they said they have no direct dealing with AutoElec. Redarc is so good with their prompt service.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm surprised have bought a bit from them and good as gold.
I always use Paypal, got stung once, not on Ebay but a card scammer in Gatton got my card details it seems and used Paypal to rip $980 off my credit card, picked it up quick and by being registered with Paypal and a Westpac card was double covered, Paypal paid back the funds no drama so now on only use Paypal and prefer Ebay, all bases covered, no details given over phone or emailed ever, I can always find someone else.

I had a number for them but can't find the docket, bugger.