Exterior Installing Jayco Storm Covers?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Over the weekend I am going to install some Jayco storm covers on our 2012 expanda. Any tips? I did a search and nothing came up but I am sure many have installed them. My covers are the genuine "chinese" Jayco ones if that helps.

There seems to be 2 methods;
1-Remove seal and place sail track under rubber.
2-Install sail track on edge of hard lid so it is exposed.

Which is better? No1 method looks better.
Cheers Geoff

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Give the guy a trophy!

We've bought some extra press studs so.....did you fit yours with the existing ones or did you have to add, adjust or whatever?

I'm ashamed of myself for leaving ours for a year without checking.

This weekend!! I think.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Top press studs where fine, bottom ones missed by an inch. So I have two press studs close together on the van. We have a storm due tonight so I might give them a test run. Not sure yet if I will add a strap to the bottom to stop them moving around in the wind. I am very happy with their quality and wife likes them because they match the van. I think they will need some form of extra fixing as we normally have our mesh privacy screens come away from the odd press stud in strong winds.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I seem to remember someone here mentioned they now come with the extra straps. That's what I reall want to check on ours.

But well done for succeeding.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Gteat thred! I have decided to buy some storm covers for my 2012 17.56. What ones did you buy and where from? Some picks would be great also.
Cheers

These places below would be a good start>>
http://www.holidayannexes.com.au
http://www.kakaduannexes.com.au/bed-ends/

Enjoy the 30 pages of info on storm covers/bed end covers>>
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/new-jayco-bed-end-covers.5313/
But wait there is more>>
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/canvas-bed-flys-by-holiday-annexes.2689/

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Daniel Peterson We have the Jayco storm covers on our 2014 expanda and fitted them myself.
Installation pics can be seen on our "My Expanda" page HERE .... Pages 12 and 13.

If you go down the track of the Jayco ones (If still available) make sure you change the press studs to better quality marine grade ones and add a couple more each side!

glenntwenty

Feb 8, 2015
Hi All, we just bought a new Basestation which came with the Jayco storm covers. The sail track was already installed but not the press studs. Can anyone explain where the press studs should attach to the van (ie facing out like the attachment of the gas struts or facing side ways) or even better, have a picture that shows the position of their press studs? I have put the covers on the sail track and could just line it up but depending on how tight I pull the covers it could be different and I don't want to put any holes in the wrong spot!

Is there anything else to be careful of when installing the press studs?

Thanks for your help, been meaning to introduce myself but been busy getting ready for the first trip. Lots of good information on here.

Glenn

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Can anyone explain where the press studs should attach to the van
Bed End 010.jpg Bed End Press Studs.jpg
Welcome to the forum @glennhoen
The above pic is where I fitted the studs to our 2014 OB

Is there anything else to be careful of when installing the press studs?
Yes....... Use a sharp drill and not too much pressure when drilling. Make sure you put a dab of sikaflex or similar on the hole before screwing into it!

Also I suggest getting better quality (Marine grade stainless) press studs as the ones supplied were a bit hit and miss when clipping together (ie: They kept coming undone with a bit of pressure on them).

Enjoy the forum and looking forward to seeing and hearing about your ventures!

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
I saw this on Facebook and thought I'd repost it. Looks like a great solution for keeping the storm cover out of the way when storing.

I assume this is a mod although the guy that posted said Jayco Sydney were doing this for new vans now.

Attachments

• IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,027

glenntwenty

Feb 8, 2015
I went to install the press studs but found my storm covers are mounted with the sail track inside the bed ends so the covers go inside the gas studs instead of outside like he photos above.

I suppose this makes it easier to leave it on but a bit worried this means it will touch the bed end and water will seep through.

Either way, decided to hold off on the press studs and just see how we go with just the sail track and maybe some clips for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_7723.JPG
    IMG_7723.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 714
Reactions: bigcol