Swift Innerspring Mattress in Swift

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
Hello my husband and I have just ordered our new swift camper trailer and now just have to play the waiting game for the delivery date. We have ordered an innerspring mattress, which I thought was a good idea. After reading some of the Expanda forums I'm not so sure - do the campers have one piece mattresses or two like the Expanda?

Previously I've had an outback Eagle and Penguin, but have not required towing mirrors as towed with a Landrover Defender. The Swift will be towed with an X-trail, so not sure whether towing mirrors will be required - does anyone have any idea? I've also previously had a Freedom Poptop which I used mirrors for as I towed it with a Rexton.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
That problem that most of us find/found with the innerspring was where the folds are in the matress the spring support is very poor.

The Swift has a one piece mattress so it should be better than the Expanda inner springs.
Thats my experience anyway :thumb:

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
Thanks for that information, that has definitely put my mind at rest. Also wondering whether to order the annexe walls now, or wait to see what we think of putting up the awning first, we opted for the Jayco bag awning. So glad to be returning to touring again yay :)

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
we found the bag awning very time consuming to erect and always wished we had put a pull out awning on the side but at the time of purchase the salesman talked us out of it. big mistake

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
The salesman talked us out of a Fiamma which was our original choice, saying that we would regret it if the wind blew up, so we opted for the Jayco awning. Originally had an Aussie Traveller on the Penguin but wasn't happy with the way the annexe velcro'd on anyway, time will tell.

I loved the dometic roll out that I had on the Freedom with the zip on annexe, but can't get them for the little Swift.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yep, it's a one piece mattress in the Swift. As Cruza Driver already mentioned, it's the split in the Expanda mattress but also the 2 different mattress thicknesses that make it uncomfortable if sleeping on the seam/split side.
You'll have no trouble with the swift mattress!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yep one piece mattress in campers, yep you'll need towing mirrors for the X-trail,

As for the Aussie Traveller awning I had one on my Swan, it was great didn't have the annex but did have shade wall and it just zippered on, You'll be glad the dealer talked you out of the Fiamma they are crap too light, yep I had one prior to the Aussie Traveller, but the bag awning! yep been there done that with our Eagle.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Hello Swift64 from another Swift owner. As I have a swift I can answer some of your questions first hand.
Yes, the mattress is a one piece foam rubber mattress. I find it very comfy.
Yes, you most certainly will need towing mirrors. I tow with a 80 series Landcruiser And I have towing mirrors for that. I previously had a Mitsubishi Challenger and needed them for that.
I presume you have an electric trailer brake controller fitted?
i have one of "those" bag awnings that double as an annexe. My description of them you most certainly will not find printed in the Bible or the Koran or any other religious print matter.
In a separate thread I derive regarding changing to a roll out awning that I purchased from a 4Wd supplier. Best thing I ever did. I have removed my bag awning/annexe and won't be putting it back any time soon.
Till next time ........

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
Hi Stan53 i found this forum through your posts when I was googling Swifts. We have ordered innerspring, battery pack, original jayco bag awning that can have walls attached (jury is still out on whether to order walls, think we will wait and see what awning is like to erect first). Bagged deluxe bed flys, TV and windup awning. I think we might look at Aussie Mate kitchen awning and a pole carrier. We were hoping we might be able to fit a front box, but doubt whether there is enough space on the draw bar.

Any good ideas as to how to store clothing in these little beauties? There is just hubby and myself. Previously I have had the good quality strap on mirrors, so was thinking of purchasing these again.

I did see your article re the other style of bag annexe and after watching the video link, can see why you ditched it.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Umm, I asked the dealer about a roll out awning similar to the Expanda awnings. They told me that the swift was not structurally compatible or strong enough for those awnings.
Now my Jayco bag awning/annexe has side walls. I have only every put them up once. Never ever again. I lived in a 25 foot caravan for over 10 years and those canvas walls were a dream along side the Jayco walls. Nope, not ever again!
Where to store your cloths? We cheat, we have a bag that we put in the car. The little cupboard on your left as you walk in the door is where I keep van gear. Things like the jag. All the ties for the awnings, the ropes and such. I lasso keep my battery chargers for things like iPods and such in there. I also have a rubber hammer for the tent pegs and a spanner and screw driver and such like things. That's on the bottom shelf. On the top shelf we have towels and such. Under the seats we keep linen including sleeping bags.
I also have a deep cycle battery under the front seat.
Hope this helps.

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
I was thinking of just throwing all the camper gear into a black plastic tub and storing that under the table for travel with pillows stuffed down the sides and the doormat underneath, to free up the cupboard space a bit. In my previous campers I purchased small storage baskets for all kitchen storage areas, as this stopped stuff from rolling around and it meant I could pull out a basket to find something easily. I like the idea of the sliding pantry wire baskets for the narrow cupboards that I've seen on another caravan website for putting food in.

Stan53 see your train driver Vline or metro? My in-laws are train drivers for Vline.

PaulM

May 9, 2013
Gladstone, QLD
mvca.com.au
Hi,
I just placed our order for a Swift OB, due 2nd week of July. Glade to hear I don't need towing mirrors as I have a Landrover 110.
At moment getting a teshonka brake controller fitted, apparently Al Ko do not warrant Redarc units. Ordered with the following options:Hyland coupling,100AH Battery,Innerspring mattresses,Roof rack,Extra gas, Jayco awning and bed flies, extra Internal 12v,
External 12v,Anderson plug and a Battery/water monitor.Will post some pictures once here.
Cheers,

Paul

Apologies for taking thread off track...just excited about new swift:)
ordered ours with the inner springs...read somewhere they were the way to go..

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
Paul M sounds like your swift will be all kitted out when it arrives. We will be getting either a prodigy or predator brake controller fitted. I've had a static controller in the past and I'm hoping that the pendulum will be an improvement.

PaulM

May 9, 2013
Gladstone, QLD
mvca.com.au
That's the aim Swift64;) Just don't have the time to muck around due to work, a couple of things I would get, solar etc, but cells are cheaper elsewhere, so will sort in time.