17' Series In the process of buying a new van

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
Can I pick everyones brains please?

Got an offer to purchase emailed through today to buy our van i just need to sort the options and would like to know which is better to go with please?

Coast to Coast control panel or Drifter Led control panel?

I don't really want the jayco bbq can I just order it with the draw and put my own weber baby q there instead?

With the tv aerial is the TV Aerial - 12v power assisted or the TV Sensor Pro the one to get?

Tv from jayco or just get my own?

Is the standard tow coupling the go or should I go with the optional Coupling - Shockproof swivel?

Out side table?

Is any of the fusion gear worth it? Stereo - Fusion CD/Radio System with external Speakers or Stereo - Fusion Premium CD/DVD/Radio System, External Speakers & App Functionality?

Ezi Level levelling device? I have poly air bags on the prado already.

They are telling me the on road retail price is $50,750 which seems right.

I would really appreciate any further advice please.

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
Im already going with the extended drawbar, water filter, additional solar panel and dual battery, anderson plug on draw bar, was also thinking I might need a stone shield maybe rock tamers?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Can I pick everyones brains please?

Got an offer to purchase emailed through today to buy our van i just need to sort the options and would like to know which is better to go with please?

Howdy, @Draino what van are you looking at getting ???

The Coast to Coast is a very basic tank gauge. Forget the battery indicator, its next to useless. You can see the state of the water tanks because the filler hose is clear and you just have to bend over and look .... and thats pretty much what your buying with the Coast to Coast. The Drifter is a much more informative unit with water tank state, waste tank state if you want it, battery condition, charge state, remaining battery power on current drain etc etc. The Drifter is expensive and is by no means the best available, but its the only advanced one Jayco offer (its made by Setec) Its actually pretty good, just very expensive in comparison to what else is on the marker. But its much better than the Coast to Coast.

I don't really want the jayco bbq can I just order it with the draw and put my own weber baby q there instead?
I just measured our Baby Q (standard height lid) and the front boot hatch, today coincidentally to work out where I going to put it. The front boot hatch on our 20.63.1 is about 350mm high as is the Baby Q. So it will wiggle in the front boot hatch, maybe have to tilt it a little. I only did glancing measurements for my purpose but I think you'll struggle with a slide out draw/tray, the combo may be too high.

With the tv aerial is the TV Aerial - 12v power assisted or the TV Sensor Pro the one to get?
The only option Jayco did offer was the Sensor pro, the "12v power assisted" likely refers to the Sensor Pro as its 12v powered. The Wineguards aren't a great aerial, but the convenience of having "something" easy in strong signal areas is better than nothing. My van is stored in my factory in suburban Melb, and I get a better signal at the factory with crappy bunny ears sitting on the roof of the van, than I get with the Wineguard.

Tv from jayco or just get my own?
I presume Jayco still offer their own branded Sphere unit, which I don't know too much about other than its a premium price. I have a house (and van) full of Kogan TV's. I swear by them, they are great TV's and I haven't had any issues with any of them. They are very cheap, some have built in DVD's, and most have inbuilt media playing capability to read hard drives. I currently have 3 in the van, 24in, 19in and 16in; the main internal, my son has one in his bunk, and we have one for the entertainment unit outside. To give you some idea the current Kogan 19in DVD 12v HD with USB input is $139 ... so why not have 3 ... or 4

Is the standard tow coupling the go or should I go with the optional Coupling - Shockproof swivel?
Im of the opinion that the off road and articulated couplings are fantastic, but a pain in the ar$e. If you have a need/use for them they can't be beaten, but if you don't have the need, theyre a bigger pain in the ar$e ... get the standard coupling.

Out side table?
Outdoor table is great .... I would recommend it. We don't really use it for anything specific, more just somewhere to leave stuff generally ... its just handy: BBQ time, coming back from the beach, side of the road

Is any of the fusion gear worth it? Stereo - Fusion CD/Radio System with external Speakers or Stereo - Fusion Premium CD/DVD/Radio System, External Speakers & App Functionality?
I was skeptical of the Fusion but my partner wanted a stereo. Im now completely sold on it. The Fusion is a purpose designed RV stereo and is pretty good quality with blue tooth phone connectivity (i.e. ring mum hands free in the van). It has CD, USB, Aux inputs. We only got the basic offering, but Im more than happy with it. Some of the functions of the high end unit sound cool, but I personally would never use them.

Ezi Level levelling device? I have poly air bags on the prado already.
Wait until you get the van. Load it up and see how it tows and sits on the road. Better to make an real life assessment, and maybe save some bucks.

They are telling me the on road retail price is $50,750 which seems right.
What van are you looking at ???

I would really appreciate any further advice please.
Im investing in the Stone Stomper stone guard. I suspect the Rock Tamer probably has a longer working life, but I think the Stone Stomper offers better protection and some dust dampening as a bonus

Outdoor entertainment unit or at least a TV point outside

TV wall blocking, especially important if you don't get the Jayco TV. The walls are hollow foam and it won't be blocked for a TV unless you specifically ask for it. Same with a bike rack. Bike rack can't be fitted ... ever ... unless the wall has been blocked at construction stage.

Do some research and find out what the current better aircon is. The AirCommand Ibis was as of last year.

Maybe 16in rims. Thats something I overlooked

Last edited:

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
Just had a quick read I'm out on the road but we are getting a 17.56-2 outback I'll read your comments properly tonight there's heaps of detail thank you I'll reply if I have more.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Great response @Crusty181.... In terms of what else, I'd recommend the following if buying new:
  1. a set of @crustt clear plastic covers for windows.
  2. as many power plugs and 12V's you can afford to get them to wire including outside. I would definitely get one under the table for charges and a few near the other dinette./bunk
  3. gas bayonet outside on the A-Frame
  4. 2 outside tables - they're fantastic... I just wish we had one...
  5. Solar panels mounted on the roof
These are the things I wish we had got, but as we bought secondhand didn't have a chance (other than the clear covers for the windows).

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
After buying my first Weber a couple of weeks back, a Q1000, (yet to use) i set about today wondering where its going to live. I bought a 2m gas hose for it in anticipation. I havent worked where its going to live yet, but ive worked out i need a bayonet just behind the wheels so i can put the Weber on the outdoor table, or at least under the awning and away from the van door.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The biggest issue you are going to face with this combo is your tow vehicle. The Prado is only legally rated to tow 2500kg. A totally stock 17.56-2OB according to the Jayco website has a tare of 2100kg with a plated carrying load of 475kg, bringing the ATM of a stock van to 2575kg. Then you start adding things like the extended drawbar, BBQ slide, second battery and solar panel and you're well over your cars legal towing limit.

No one wants to see something happen and then your insurance being voided leaving you potentially $100k out of pocket. I wouldn't do it, personally. A lighter van or a change of tow vehicle may be required.

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
The biggest issue you are going to face with this combo is your tow vehicle. The Prado is only legally rated to tow 2500kg. A totally stock 17.56-2OB according to the Jayco website has a tare of 2100kg with a plated carrying load of 475kg, bringing the ATM of a stock van to 2575kg. Then you start adding things like the extended drawbar, BBQ slide, second battery and solar panel and you're well over your cars legal towing limit.

No one wants to see something happen and then your insurance being voided leaving you potentially $100k out of pocket. I wouldn't do it, personally. A lighter van or a change of tow vehicle may be required.

Yep i know theres 4 in town here all with prados pulling them one of the guys reckons if he crashes it then its going to be pretty hard for the insurance company to pick up all the pieces and try to weigh them to void the warranty.

How did you increase your towing capacity? the jeep is only rated to 1600 braked.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey @Draino, just to add in my two bobs worth in. Firstly I hit your Newman locale and Google maps puts you in the carpark of the Melbourne Uni ... huh?. A bit more digging found you up nth in WA. Where is your local Jayco dealer ???

With regards to the van weight. As horrible as it sounds, the only time a demolished vans parts would ever be collected and weighed would be by accident investigators after a catastrophic and multiple fatality. As for the insurance assessor, he would only look at the compliance plates on the car and on the van. If the vans plated weight is over the cars capacity, regardless of actual weight, and the weight or the ability to stop was a possible contributing factor, I would expect it would be a very real possibility your insurance would vaporise ... and because overloading is such a common and widespread issue, as @Matty4 mentioned you would be a taking a very real economic risk. Its all about those plates, and nothing to do with actual weight.

Another consideration is an over zealous constable, or worse, a Roads Corp style turd might just put you off the road in the middle of a holiday ... I recall somewhere in this forum reading about a road block setup for caravan weights somewhere in the great nation, and putting van/car combos off the road. Someone else might recall more of the details of that.

Its been mentioned many times by the CUOACE (Concordance of Uneducated Opinionated Arm Chair Experts) that Prados are more capable than there rating suggests, and are "under rated" simply to protect the Landcruiser market, i.e. Land cruiser sales would plummet if Prados could tow more. I have a Navara which is rated at 3t, and the identical in every structural way Pathfinder is rated at 3.5t .... so it may well be a valid opinion. (probably has something to do with the Narava's own load capacity)

But .... the overrider is what the plates say would only be ignored at your potential peril.

On a brighter note ..... I forgot to add to my list a annex style light to the other (road) side of the van. Very handy generally, and for nighttime setting up. And definitely privacy screens of some description for the bed ends. We got the lightweight canvas style Jayco branded bed end fly for our van, and its absolutely brilliant. The only problem is you can't pack up the lid with the fly attached.

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
On the subject of the drifter control panel, does anyone else have issues with the water levels on them? Mine is a pain in the ass, constantly having to disconnect it to reset it to read it right. Once home after a trip I drop the water out and it still thinks they are full. But once i remove the power and add it again it wakes up. Everything else works fine but its starting to give me the...

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep i know theres 4 in town here all with prados pulling them one of the guys reckons if he crashes it then its going to be pretty hard for the insurance company to pick up all the pieces and try to weigh them to void the warranty.

How did you increase your towing capacity? the jeep is only rated to 1600 braked.
Yep as @Crusty181 states, in a total loss the only concrete and valid info the police and the insurance assessor can go off is the manufacturers rated towing capacity of the car and the plated ATM of the van. Whether or not you have loaded it up to its max carrying capacity or not would be irrelevent and very hard to prove if you spilt 170lt of water and all your other items across the landscape.
I also agree that that the Prado may well be capable of towing it (the short-lived 3 door one had a 3T towing capacity), but the legalities of it says it can't.

My Jeep has a 3500kg towing capacity, not sure where you got 1600kg from.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@navmatt. The tank gauge only works/updates when either the battery, or pump or both are on. Cant recall the actual combo, but it was one of those 3. Otherwise the gauge shows the tank condition as of the last time that correct combo was on .... if that makes sense. Ill see if I can locate the book, I think thats where I read it

Reactions: navmatt

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
On the subject of the drifter control panel, does anyone else have issues with the water levels on them? Mine is a pain in the ass, constantly having to disconnect it to reset it to read it right. Once home after a trip I drop the water out and it still thinks they are full. But once i remove the power and add it again it wakes up. Everything else works fine but its starting to give me the...
Bit off topic, but for what it's worth, on mine you need to have the water pump on for it to update. I always have the battery on as well.

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
Yep as @Crusty181 states, in a total loss the only concrete and valid info the police and the insurance assessor can go off is the manufacturers rated towing capacity of the car and the plated ATM of the van. Whether or not you have loaded it up to its max carrying capacity or not would be irrelevent and very hard to prove if you spilt 170lt of water and all your other items across the landscape.
I also agree that that the Prado may well be capable of towing it (the short-lived 3 door one had a 3T towing capacity), but the legalities of it says it can't.

My Jeep has a 3500kg towing capacity, not sure where you got 1600kg from.
Only searched the model on carsales and it said 1600 so I've got to get the dealer to make sure my plate atm is 2500 or less?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Whilst I stress you should strive to do the right thing and I advocate you weighing your van and keeping everything legal. How many have weighed there van? I have Both vans and had them replated so I am as legal as I can ever be. But in both those exercises I learnt so much about the manufacturers and the head in the sand approach they take to payloads and ATMs its staggering imo.

But I hate the fear that's brought about by misinformation. Yes in an accident a lazy acessor or cop might try and deny you or nick you based on the plate but it wouldn't hold up to any scrutiny. It's been stressed enough times it's not your plated atm but your actual atm. A member even went to SA roads, I've spoken with RTA. I can go and get a car trailer with a Tare of 600kg and an atm of 3500kg and tow with my wife's pulsar legally ! Ofcourse if I put a load on it Iam illegal but otherwise not. Your van is no different. Acessors can't just make don't be rude up or guess they have to prove it, and if it goes to court conclusively and cops don't generally Guess stuff either.

I VE asked this before, how many people do you know who have had insurance denied? How many have you ever heard of who have had insurance denied?

More Important than anything else make sure your van is balanced and load safely.

Do the right thing use commonsense, travel safe and enjoy caravning without panicking about everything.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Just a quick response with my 2c

Drifter is great if you like gadgets. Agree with @Crusty181 comments. I have had both and it is not a deal breaker by any means but really handy if free camping and you want to understand your power usage.

I have the Jayco bbq (bought it and installed myself after i got the van). It's great but I've never owned a weber. Everyone loves their weber so they've gotta be good! I just like to convenience and neatness of the one I've got. Thanks again to @Crusty181 for the measurements

The standard wineguard is 12v assisted and works fine (for what it is, I'm sure there are better after market options). The Sensar pro has a nice option whereby you can rotate the aerial and see on the display which direction has the strongest signal. Very handy and worth the extra in my opinion. You can also set the gain level

Tv from jayco or just get my own
Personally I would at least get Jayco to put the bracket and wiring in. In terms of actual TV, the Sphere is 'OK', but I'm sure there is better out there for cheaper.

Is the standard tow coupling the go or should I go with the optional Coupling - Shockproof swivel
See others comments. I took my 17.56.2 through some serious 4wd tracks with a standard ball and never felt it let me down. Might be a different story if you did it regularly or were doing a long trip through tough tracks

Out side table
Get as many as you can! We have 2 and they are very very handy

Is any of the fusion gear worth it? Stereo - Fusion CD/Radio System with external Speakers or Stereo - Fusion Premium
CD/DVD/Radio System, External Speakers & App Functionality

We have the standard version. It's great. Had a look at the upgraded one and didnt feel we needed the extra bits. all we need are speakers and bluetooth to hook up the tunes on the phone

Good Luck

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW

I'm pretty sure mine resets by turning the water pump on and off.